I receive a text from an iPhone 5 that says Current_L..on.loc.vcf what is that?

I

iMore Question

i receive text from iphone5 that says Current_L...on.loc.vcf what is that?

I get this text from my boyfriend often...is he trying to figure out my location??

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: i receive text from iphone5 that says Current_L...on.loc.vcf what is that?

Unless you are sharing your location using Find my Friends, Find my iPhone or through iMessage, then he should not be able to track you.

AryJohn

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
I realize I'm late in replying, but in case anyone else has this question....

NO definitely not tracking you. That is not indicative of someone trying to spy on you. That file contains only the location of something on a map (like a restaurant, bar, friends house, etc.). I actually was curious about the same thing. It's a very fancy way of iPhone users "texting" map directions to each other.

For example, let's say we were to meet at a friends house. I could say, "Hey Sarah, meet me at Jimmy's apartment. The address is 1234 Sycammore St. San Simeon, CA 98732." From there you would have to manually open the Map App on your phone, type in the long address, and wait for directions.

The OTHER option is to text you the map itself so that when you click on it, everything is done for you. That is what you are seeing. So when you get the text (that ".loc.vcf" file) all you have to do is tap on that map picture/text message and your phone will automatically open the Maps App for you and already input the address you want to go to. It's kind of a convenience thing. I guess it also give you a little preview in your text message since it usually is a map image that gets shown along with the file.

So let's take a look at his perspective and how this happened:
On his iPhone he would open Apple Maps. Find the location of his friend's house, for instance. And then he would hit the "share" button in the Maps App. He would select the "send to iPhone/text message" option. So basically he's sending you a file that has 1) the location of the address and 2) directions for your phone to automatically open the map app and give you directions without you having to manually do it.

I hope that made sense!!!

*If you don't have an iPhone then all you will see is that ".loc.vcf" file and it won't do anything on your phone.

Lindsey Mohler

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
Made perfect sense!

I realize I'm late in replying, but in case anyone else has this question....

NO definitely not tracking you. That is not indicative of someone trying to spy on you. That file contains only the location of something on a map (like a restaurant, bar, friends house, etc.). I actually was curious about the same thing. It's a very fancy way of iPhone users "texting" map directions to each other.

For example, let's say we were to meet at a friends house. I could say, "Hey Sarah, meet me at Jimmy's apartment. The address is 1234 Sycammore St. San Simeon, CA 98732." From there you would have to manually open the Map App on your phone, type in the long address, and wait for directions.

The OTHER option is to text you the map itself so that when you click on it, everything is done for you. That is what you are seeing. So when you get the text (that ".loc.vcf" file) all you have to do is tap on that map picture/text message and your phone will automatically open the Maps App for you and already input the address you want to go to. It's kind of a convenience thing. I guess it also give you a little preview in your text message since it usually is a map image that gets shown along with the file.

So let's take a look at his perspective and how this happened:
On his iPhone he would open Apple Maps. Find the location of his friend's house, for instance. And then he would hit the "share" button in the Maps App. He would select the "send to iPhone/text message" option. So basically he's sending you a file that has 1) the location of the address and 2) directions for your phone to automatically open the map app and give you directions without you having to manually do it.

I hope that made sense!!!

*If you don't have an iPhone then all you will see is that ".loc.vcf" file and it won't do anything on your phone.

Lindsey Mohler

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
Re: Made perfect sense!

Thank you! This is probably the best explanation I've ever read! Very easy to understand, covered all topics, issues, and every question that popped in my head as I was reading, next thing I know, u answered it! Greatly appreciated! Need to start coming straight to u if I need to know anything! Lol
Thanks again AryJohn!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox