Painted iphone 5 now speaker is muffled

popengchan

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, really needing your help on this. Last night I destroyed my iphone 5. I decided to paint the sides of my iphone 5 with black acrylic paint to cover up the dents and scratches. To make the long story short, after the paint job, the speakers are like mumbling or like making the "ssshhhkkk ssshhhkkkk" sound while playing a song.

I panicked. I immediately looked for a "how to open an iphone 5 speaker" video in youtube, got my toolbox, and opened it up but couldn't find anything. Though I somehow cleaned it using Qtips to remove some paint.

After I put everything back, still has the same problem.

Can you gets help me on this? I couldn't do the soak the iphone in rice thing for water damaged phones as the paint is too "thick" and the rice would not absorb something that is not that liquid. Really appreciate any help right now other than sending to apple care for an expensive repair as this is out of warranty.

Hoping for a home care remedy.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what to tell you. I'd *assume* paint somehow got onto the speaker and has since dried, especially if the holes at the bottom of the device is not covered. Finding the issue and then removing the dried paint may prove to be difficult. Try going to the following website to view what the speaker assembly looks like and maybe it will give you some insight on where the problem might be.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+5+Speaker+Enclosure+Replacement/10701

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2