Why does my iPhone 5 only show partial serial number and fills in the rest with xxx's?

Writermind

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
iphone 5 only shows partial serial number and fills in the rest with xxx's. Frustrated!

I have an iphone 5 and am trying to locate the 'entire' serial number. I go to General and then About and scroll down to serial number. Unfortunately it only shows about 5 or 6 digits and then fills in the rest with xxxxx's. I need the entire number as I'm trying to see if I have a faulty battery and would like to check it against Apple's website, but I need the entire serial number to do that. I have several iphones and they all show the complete serial number, but on this particular device I get the partial number. Can anyone help:?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: iphone 5 only shows partial serial number and fills in the rest with xxx's. Frustrated!

Look at the device's iTunes "summary" tab...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iphone 5 only shows partial serial number and fills in the rest with xxx's. Frustrated!

I don't know what to tell you except that "my iPhone" shows the entire serial number. Can you rotate the device to landscape mode to see if you can see the whole number? Do you have the box that the device came in? If so you can find it on the box.

esauer

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
If you see a partial serial number on your iPhone, it's because under Settings > General > Accessibility > Larger Text you've enabled larger sizes. Drag the slider further left to shrink the text, and you'll be able to see your entire serial number.

Last edited:

callahanp

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
If you see a partial serial number on your iPhone, it's because under Settings > General > Accessibility > Larger Text you've enabled larger sizes. Drag the slider further left to shrink the text, and you'll be able to see your entire serial number.

Well that's better. But now I can't read them because the type is too small. (just kidding) There are 7 or 12 choices for sizes depending on the setting of "Larger Accessiblity Sizes" switch. The setting of the switch is what is shown in the menu

Note that the setting can be on or off, even though you have chosen a larger or smaller setting than the default. The on/off setting controls only the number of font sizes available, 7 or 12, with font sizes 8 through twelve being increasingly larger than size #7 .

The Larger Text setting can be bit confusing because of the way the option is labeled in the Accessiblity menu as "Larger Text" with the setting "off" or "on" I actually had set a larger text size with the slider, yet the menu item showed "off". It wasn't really "off", just the switch for 5 additional font sizes was off. Without opening the item, just looking at the menu item, you's think "I already have smaller or default font size..."

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2