Battery? cable? other problem? Weird power problem

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I all, I hope you have some suggestions!

My daughter has an iPhone 5 iOS 8.1.1. The phone is acting very weird, this an example scenario that happened yesterday:

In the morning wake up, phone has been connected to MBP charging all night. Reports battery is 100%. She uses it pretty heavily thru the morning, battery gets to 60%. At that point, phone dies. Press power, charge is 0 (shows the empty battery picture). Plug it in, phone reports 72% charge. This scenario will repeat in a similar way throughout the day, it can die with no power at any time.

I was thinking maybe the charging cable is bad. She is going to switch to another cable. Any ideas what might be wrong? I assume if not the cable, then go to a Genius bar and have them test the battery, yet in a way this doesn't sound like a typical battery issue but maybe it is? It doesn't sound like just draining/find apps that are using the battery problem either.

Thanks for your help!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I would go to the Genius Bar. This doesn't really sound like a cable thing to me. Are you close to an Apple store?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
In the morning wake up, phone has been connected to MBP charging all night. Reports battery is 100%. She uses it pretty heavily thru the morning, battery gets to 60%. At that point, phone dies. Press power, charge is 0 (shows the empty battery picture). Plug it in, phone reports 72% charge. This scenario will repeat in a similar way throughout the day, it can die with no power at any time.

I was thinking maybe the charging cable is bad. She is going to switch to another cable. Any ideas what might be wrong? I assume if not the cable, then go to a Genius bar and have them test the battery, yet in a way this doesn't sound like a typical battery issue but maybe it is? It doesn't sound like just draining/find apps that are using the battery problem either.
The Genius Bar folks will probably advise you to do a full restore, so I'd start with that before heading over. Backup the phone to iTunes, then tell iTunes to restore the phone.

I'd set it up as a new phone when given the prompt to set up as new or restore.

I doubt it's the lightning cable or MBP. If it were the cable, she'd be having problems charging at all and/or issues syncing to iTunes. IMO, this is a software issue, the part of the OS is not reading the state of the battery correctly. If that is the case, then a restore should resolve it. If it does not, then it's likely a hardware issue with the battery or charging circuitry within the phone, but most likely the battery.

Originalloverman

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
The Genius Bar folks will probably advise you to do a full restore, so I'd start with that before heading over. Backup the phone to iTunes, then tell iTunes to restore the phone.

I'd set it up as a new phone when given the prompt to set up as new or restore.

I doubt it's the lightning cable or MBP. If it were the cable, she'd be having problems charging at all and/or issues syncing to iTunes. IMO, this is a software issue, the part of the OS is not reading the state of the battery correctly. If that is the case, then a restore should resolve it. If it does not, then it's likely a hardware issue with the battery or charging circuitry within the phone, but most likely the battery.

I had that same problem with my 5, I would do this very thing as he suggested that worked for me. My only issue was my apple I'd was my email address and not the apple email for my phone so I couldn't get back my notes. As well be advise syncing and backing up is 2 diffrent things I learn that the hard way lost some pictured I wish I could get back but allas.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods