How much longer do y'all plan on keeping the iPhone 5?

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
my iphone 5 is super fast and runs amazing.
gonna keep this for 2 more years

I agree. I have never used a 6 or a even a 5S so maybe it's good that I don't know what I'm missing but I just recently got a refurbished iP5 from Apple and it is as fast and snappy as ever. And I actually prefer the 4 inch screen.

I'm not on a contract and money is really tight now so I'm just gonna stick with it for a while. Plus the slate is still the best iphone color ever made.

jason_mabry

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I will probably keep mine until the 7 comes out just because I'm not sure if I like the size of the 6. I will probably change my mind and upgrade before but as of now, I will keep it probably for another year.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I'll keep mine for about negative 2 years. I upgrade every year. Got rid of the 5 when the S came out. My wife is still using the 5.

benji888578

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
iPhones have high resale value so you shouldn't keep one more than 2 years....
I disagree. The reality is, contract or off contract, you end up paying $650-$850 total over 2 years, through subsidizing if you bought on contract. So, $150-$350 is not even half what you paid for it. I'm done getting up to 1/3 what I paid for my iPhones.

I'm keeping my iPhone 5 as an iPod touch, it's still a great iOS device, runs iOS 8 well. I had carrier unlock it once my contract was done. (iPhone 6 is my new phone & main iOS device).

I never got an iPod (no mp3 player at all). I had my first iPhone (3G) for about 2 years before I put any music in it. I've since burned my CD collection to hard drive, and put playlists on my iPhone. But, lately I mostly stream music. Plus, it can be used as an extra phone in a room across the house through wifi now.

So now I have an iPod touch, my first iPod of any kind!

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I said I wasn't going to get rid of my iphone 5, but Verizon made it so easy to just had them your 5 and get a new 6 that I caved in... AND I gave up my unlimited data!! ;( Even though in all the years of being on it I never went over 1.7gb it stings.. So here I sit with my iPhone 6 but honestly I miss my iPhone 5 some days, I LOVED that phone!!

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I bought my 32 GB black iPhone 5 from AT&T on launch day in 2012 (September 21st?). Sold it the day after I got my 6 Plus. October 8th, 2014. Bought it for $299 with contract and sold it for $250. Not bad considering I had to have phone service (be it on the iPhone or something else) anyway. My 5 was a good phone and served me well but was definitely starting to show its age - mostly with battery life. I barely got a day out of it and it would often drop 10-15% at once. Once it went from 51% to 1% in literally two seconds. And then it died. I was so confused, lol

anon(4777571)

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I plan on keeping my iPhone 5 for AS LONG as it lasts.. I was 100% ready to go and spend the money on the iPhone 6 as soon as I could but then I started thinking to myself..WHY!? I LOVE technology and LOVE the latest and greatest smartphones, but how much do I really need it.. To check Facebook, to read the news?? I am not really sure anymore if I would die not having one.. But the main reason is.. I bought my iPhone 5 in November 2012, Applecare sent a NEW replacement phone January 2013, and this month I paid the $79 and had a new battery put in.. I also have hundred of dollars worth of phone cases, The phone is really nice and fast, it is going to get IOS 8, so no compatibility issues, and I am not having any problems with it. Keeping the iPhone 5 also means that I get to hold on to Verizons Unlimited Data (granted I never use a lot, but it is nice to not have to check or "watch" my data)! I really would like a larger screen, but really I can just use my tablet or notebook if I am doing something that requires/needs a bigger screen. So for me I thought I could have the latest and the greatest phone with a larger screen, but have to start watching my data, or KEEP my iPhone 5 which works GREAT, and I never have to worry how much data I am using or how much is left.

It is going to HURT on Sept.9 watching everyone ordering the new iPhone 6, but I think for what I use my phone for, I will have no problem just holding on to my iPhone 5, One thing I have found for the most part, unless you are really into technology, no one really cares at all what phone you are using or if you have the "newest" iPhone..

RescueEMT911

Your remarks make good sense. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm in a very similar circumstance and your remarks were reassurance about the value of keeping a good working phone. It's not about getting what you want, but wanting what you've got. Thanks!

Peterpetram

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I have iphone 5 for 2 months now. Battery life is the issue now. I'm thinking to upgrade to iphone 5s sooner. Then my major update will be iphone 6s

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've decided to wait for the 6s Plus in September. I may need a new battery for my 5 before then. We'll see.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

soogriff

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I got an iPhone 6 plus. Used it for two months and just couldn't get used to the size. Gave it to my husband and went back to my iPhone 5. I missed being able to put my phone in my pockets or using it one handed. So I'm hoping to stay with this size phone for as long as I can. Big is not the new small for me. ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro