Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

Default How much longer do y'all plan on keeping the iPhone 5?

How much longer do y'all plan on keeping the iPhone 5
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    23,119 Global Posts

Default re: How much longerHow much longer do y'all plan on keeping the iPhone 5?

Quote Originally Posted by davenpj View Post
    I kept it for a year. Traded it in for the 5s.

Default Re: How much longerHow much longer do y'all plan on keeping the iPhone 5?

Why? I mean, does it really matter how long someone decides to keep their iPhone 5? I plan on keeping my even after I've gotten the next iPhone, but I will probably give it to my youngest son since he is the only person in the family without a smartphone and he's been hinting of wanting mine.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Default Re: How much longerHow much longer do y'all plan on keeping the iPhone 5?

I'll probably keep mine for many more years, maybe even beyond when Apple stops supporting it. I'll be sporting a newer iPhone by that time but my 5 has worked so good, i can't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon. I'll upgrade the wife's 4S or pass it down to my daughter as a wifi-only device.

Is there a reason you need to know this? Maybe we can help, if you have concerns. I've had my 5 a year now. I will upgrade to the 6 in February and keep my 5 for a back up. I may even jailbreak it and use it wifi only.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

Default Re: How much longer do y'all plan on keeping the iPhone 5?

I was just seeing if anyone was still happy with the 5 just kind of a poll 😀 I've become a huge apple fan the last 2 years
    Just_Me_D and A895 like this.

I was just seeing if anyone was still happy with the 5 just kind of a poll I've become a huge apple fan the last 2 years
    Oh. I thought maybe you had an issue. I've liked mine as well. I'd just like to have a larger screen. No problems with my 5 in the one year I've had it.

iMore Pro

Default How much longer do y'all plan on keeping the iPhone 5?

I'm perfectly happy with mine. I do slightly covet the i5s with the fingerprint scanner but am looking forward to iOS 8 and will look into the new i6 when it's released.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    Oh. I thought maybe you had an issue. I've liked mine as well. I'd just like to have a larger screen. No problems with my 5 in the one year I've had it.

I'm thinking about 5c which is basically 5c. I'm kinda thinking about 5s too i don't really no

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,124 Global Posts

Assuming I can afford it (always a question for me), I'm planning on upgrading from my 5 in February or March - if the 6 is truly a larger screen device. The question of affordability is because I want one of at least 32GB storage. 16GB no longer cuts it for me.
    iMore Nanite

I went from 3s to 5 and unless anything happens I think I will hold out for 7. My suggestion to friends is to buy the most storage and the fastest processor available; then you can really last through a few upgrade cycles.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,591 Global Posts

If I had it I'd definitely be upgrading this year to the 6. While it's still a great device, it will be the low tier device out of the iPhones.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts

I bought in March last year and would continue to use until 6s comes out. iPhone 5 is a beast, I totally love it!!!!
    iMore Intermediate

Milking it til Jan or Feb, let them work the bugs out iPhone 6 and iOS 8 by then should be able to walk in and out store with phone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

I want to get an iphone 6 as soon as possible but I'm gonna keep my iphone 5 around as it has a few old apps on it which no longer exist or have newer updates on them which I don't want such as tuaw, soundcloud and movietube. I also won't update it past 7.0.6 in case I lose access to any of these apps if something goes wrong and I have to restore.
    iMore Newbie

I will probably keep mine until it stops working...it has been a great phone.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    971 Global Posts

I guess it will be a while since I changed plans with my carrier and no longer qualify for a subdaized price on the phone and will have to pay full price. Either cash up front or by the month doesn't really matter when there are 4 of you in the family and everyone wants a new phone at once. $25 a month times 4 = $100 a month just for dang phones
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,916 Global Posts

The phone's been good to me for the past almost 2 years. But I'm definitely planning on getting the 6 asap. Maybe it's because I'm beta testing iOS8, but the phone has been showing its age lately and has been a bit slow
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,427 Global Posts

I'm aiming to replace my 5 with the next model, probably a little later in the year (unless I come into a bonus or win a contest). I am debating going for a 64GB device instead of my standard 32GB. If it has a larger screen, I can see using it for movies or TV shows instead of the iPad, when in an airport, waiting in the car, etc.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jason_mabry View Post
    I will probably keep mine until it stops working...it has been a great phone.
    Same here. Waste not, want not. ☺️
    Banned

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

iPhones have high resale value so you shouldn't keep one more than 2 years. Once you have finished your contract on ATT, they will SIM unlock your iPhone. Your now SIM unlocked iPhone can be sold for about what it would cost you to upgrade even after all fees associated with the sale of the device are factored in if it is in mint condition. The only caveat to that is for states like CA which charge sales tax on the full retail value of the subsidized phone; you may or may not be able to recoup that.

Verizon iPhones come GSM SIM unlocked out of the box so no need to wait until the end of the contract to sell them.

Here is an example using real data from swappa:

Mint SIM unlocked 16GB iPhone 5 will sell for min $325 on swappa right now if you aren't in a hurry. After swappa/paypal/shipping fees, you would net $295. A new 16GB iPhone 6 4.7" should be $200 + upgrade fee + tax, which would be about $245-$295 depending on how your state does the sales tax.

If your phone is not in mint condition, you will still recover much of the cost of an upgrade if you sell it.

So selling a 2 year old iPhone and upgrading makes fiscal sense as long as the iPhone is SIM unlocked at the end of your 2 year contract or in the case Verizon phones, out of the box.
    Last edited by JulesJam; 09-02-2014 at 02:21 AM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

I answered this thread but it got lost in cyberspace so I will answer it again.

You should sell your iPhone at the end of your 2 year contract if you are on ATT. ATT will SIM unlock your iPhone at the end of your 2 year contract. You should be able to sell a mint SIM unlocked iPhone 5 for about $325 and after swappa/paypal/shipping fees, you will net $295. $295 will cover the cost of an upgrade to the iPhone 6 including tax and upgrade fees.

If your iPhone 5 is not in mint condition, you will get less, but still upgrading every 2 years on ATT and selling your used iPhone is the most cost effective way to go.

Same for Verizon, but those are GSM SIM unlocked out of the box so you don't need to wait the full 2 years.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

I got mine in Jan 13. I got a replacement in Feb 14 under Apple Extended Warranty. I plan to keep mine for another 2 years ( iphone 7) or till it goes bust.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,889 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stuhFAN View Post
    I'll probably keep mine for many more years, maybe even beyond when Apple stops supporting it. I'll be sporting a newer iPhone by that time but my 5 has worked so good, i can't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon. I'll upgrade the wife's 4S or pass it down to my daughter as a wifi-only device.
    This 1000%!!! I "retired" my iPhone 5 on Monday. But I haven't put it up on ebay or anything yet because of these feelings exactly. My iPhone 5 has been without a doubt the most reliable electronic device I have ever owned. Every iPhone before it I had replaced at least once and some of them multiple times with multiple issues. This is my original iPhone 5 that I bought unlocked direct from Apple in January 2013. It has had zero issues. On top of that I don't feel as though it's performance has degraded at all. At this point in their life my iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 were both very much showing their age. The iPhone 3G was getting practically unusable. Not my iPhone 5. It's just as fast as the day I got it. The battery seems just as strong as day 1 and iOS 7 on it is rock solid stable.

I'm not sure if I will actually be able to part with it. I might sell my Moto X and keep the iPhone 5 as my back up/media player.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

I plan on keeping my iPhone 5 for AS LONG as it lasts.. I was 100% ready to go and spend the money on the iPhone 6 as soon as I could but then I started thinking to myself..WHY!? I LOVE technology and LOVE the latest and greatest smartphones, but how much do I really need it.. To check Facebook, to read the news?? I am not really sure anymore if I would die not having one.. But the main reason is.. I bought my iPhone 5 in November 2012, Applecare sent a NEW replacement phone January 2013, and this month I paid the $79 and had a new battery put in.. I also have hundred of dollars worth of phone cases, The phone is really nice and fast, it is going to get IOS 8, so no compatibility issues, and I am not having any problems with it. Keeping the iPhone 5 also means that I get to hold on to Verizons Unlimited Data (granted I never use a lot, but it is nice to not have to check or "watch" my data)! I really would like a larger screen, but really I can just use my tablet or notebook if I am doing something that requires/needs a bigger screen. So for me I thought I could have the latest and the greatest phone with a larger screen, but have to start watching my data, or KEEP my iPhone 5 which works GREAT, and I never have to worry how much data I am using or how much is left.

It is going to HURT on Sept.9 watching everyone ordering the new iPhone 6, but I think for what I use my phone for, I will have no problem just holding on to my iPhone 5, One thing I have found for the most part, unless you are really into technology, no one really cares at all what phone you are using or if you have the "newest" iPhone..

RescueEMT911
    JEDorsey likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast