Text Message and Voicemail Backups When Upgrading?

Watrat

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Good evening,
I was wondering if I could get some info before eventually upgrading from my iPhone 5 to the 6. Currently I backup everything to iCloud....was wondering if my text messages and voicemails will be available on new phone once I do backup? Recently lost someone very important to me and I don't want to lose all of the text and voice messages. I understand I can go thru texts and email them but it's frustrating constantly having to hit "load earlier messages" going back over a year. Does anyone have some info that may assist?

Thanks

Tom

Watrat

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for that...so voicemails and SMS are covered and will reload when I setup new phoebe from iCloud backup? HUGE relief.

Tom

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for that...so voicemails and SMS are covered and will reload when I setup new phoebe from iCloud backup? HUGE relief.

Tom

You're welcome, but note that the article mentioned "visual voicemail". Just to be safe, I'd make sure the audio voicemail messages are still present on your wireless carrier's servers just in case. I know that you can play and delete them via visual voicemail on your device, but it's best to be safe than sorry in this regard.

Watrat

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Do you know how I could go about doing that? Service is with verizon and have only retrieved voicemails thru visual voicemail.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you know how I could go about doing that? Service is with verizon and have only retrieved voicemails thru visual voicemail.

Being that iCloud backs up visual voicemail messages, I can only assume it will backup the messages and means to access your voicemail messages, but I don't want to say with 100% certainty that your voicemail will be intact and preserved because I truly don't know. I've always deleted mine. Try giving Apple and your wireless carrier a call and see what both say about the situation.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Why not delete them all? Messages take a lot of space on your phone. I delete all my messages once a week. If there is one I wish to keep, I screen shot it and upload it to a folder in Dropbox. You don't have to hit "load earlier messages" to delete them all. When you press on it and "more" shows. Tap it and then tap "Delete All" in the upper left.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why not delete them all? Messages take a lot of space on your phone. I delete all my messages once a week. If there is one I wish to keep, I screen shot it and upload it to a folder in Dropbox. You don't have to hit "load earlier messages" to delete them all. When you press on it and "more" shows. Tap it and then tap "Delete All" in the upper left.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

The OP recently lost someone and want to preserve them.

Watrat

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I ended up buying an app called iexplorer on my Mac. It allowed me to save all text messages from my loved one in one PDF as well as all of their voicemails. There is a lot more you can do with it but was grateful to be able to have this backup incase iCloud doesn't save them. Thanks for all advice

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234