Sometimes it takes me a few tries when turning off my iPhone, is that something to worry about?

tmlfan4life

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Over the past few days when I have tried to turn off my iPhone 5 sometimes it takes a few tries of me holding down the power button until I'm able to turn it off. So I'm wondering is that something I need to worry about? If it matters I still have ios 6.0, however next month when I'm on vacation I'm going to upgrade to 7.1.2 since I will have access to WI-FI at a Hotel.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless you think your power button is starting to malfunction, I wouldn't worry about it. If you do suspect it to be the case, make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store and have them check it out for you.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
If you take it to the Genius Bar to check it out, you may wind up with iOS 7.1.2 when you walk out. Part of their testing includes a device reset, which may include the update. Plus, they may just update pre-emptively.

Double ROT13 encrypted for your protection

tmlfan4life

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
If you take it to the Genius Bar to check it out, you may wind up with iOS 7.1.2 when you walk out. Part of their testing includes a device reset, which may include the update. Plus, they may just update pre-emptively.

This past May I went to the Apple Store for the purpose of upgrading to iOS 7.1.1 However I was told if they wanted to do it through ITunes on one of their computers I would lose all my pictures, apps, and etc. The reason is they couldn't back everything up. I started to back up everything through my iPhone on their WI-FI while I was in the store, however it was taking to long. So that's why I plan to back it up while I'm on vacation through the WI-FI in my Hotel and after that upgrading to iOS 7.1.2 through WI-FI.

Anyway my point is if the Apple Genius said I couldn't upgrade the iOS through their computers in the store, why would it be any different after reading what you said?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Anyway my point is if the Apple Genius said I couldn't upgrade the iOS through their computers in the store, why would it be any different after reading what you said?

You said it: If they do the upgrade via their copy of iTunes, you'll loose your data. But that can't prevent an OTA update, which is what it sounds like you're planning on doing over the hotel wifi.

In any event, when I went to have the power button on my iPhone 5 checked, the Genius wiped my phone as part of the process. So they could plug the phone into their iTunes to install the device test application. Since my phone was already on the then-current version of iOS, I don't know for sure if they'd pre-emptively update yours, I'm just guessing based on my own experience on the support-provider side of things that one of the first things suggested to someone using an out of date unsupported OS (or application) version is to upgrade.

magicman200

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
There is a secret apple recall for this exact problem.They will fix it for free even if your phone is out of warrantee. To see if your phone qualifies, there is a site at apple that you can plug in your serial number to see if you are eligible. If you can't find this, then make an appointment with the genius bar, tell them the problem and they will tell you if your phone qualifies. I had the same problem, brought it in, they gave me a loaner and said it would be fixed in 6 days. Make sure you back up the entire phone as they are going to wipe it clean before they take it from you. Good luck

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I just started having the same problem and the local store said they do not repair only replace and will give me a replacement in kind. I am kind of stalling lol, since I don't want a refurb and also I can make it work by hitting it just right.

Apple Care tech support gave me an alternative of sending my phone in with a 6-10 day turn around time, and they will repair it and send it back.

Another alternative is they will send me the replacement phone first and then I can send mine in. This has a $29 charge associated with it.

Good luck, I am interested to see what you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmlfan4life

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
After putting in my Serial # my iPhone 5 is eligible to be fixed. Now after reading that page I noticed they send the phone to the factory and etc, so they give me a loaner phone. Is there anyone at the Apple Store who could fix it right there? I'm going on vacation in 29 days and their site doesn't say how long it would take.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
After putting in my Serial # my iPhone 5 is eligible to be fixed. Now after reading that page I noticed they send the phone to the factory and etc, so they give me a loaner phone. Is there anyone at the Apple Store who could fix it right there? I'm going on vacation in 29 days and their site doesn't say how long it would take.
It's possible, but the people at the Apple Store would be the best source to ask in regard to your question...:)

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

Not at our local Apple Store. They told me my only option was to have them send it in for repair or upgrade to a 5s. They also said if my phone was under warranty or I had Apple Care they would replace it in kind at the store.

So I walked out of there with a new unlocked 32 and $400+ tax less in my pocket - don't ask. :D

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

tmlfan4life

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Not at our local Apple Store. They told me my only option was to have them send it in for repair or upgrade to a 5s. They also said if my phone was under warranty or I had Apple Care they would replace it in kind at the store.

So I walked out of there with a new unlocked 32 and $400+ tax less in my pocket - don't ask. :D

I just checked my receipt when I got my iPhone 5 in January 2013 and I purchased Apple Care. I also made a Genies Bar appointment at my Apple Store for this Friday at 3:30 PM, so hopefully I can be lucky with a replacement model.

Assuming that happens are they able to transfer my pictures and everything else to a new model? I can't back it up prior to going because I don't have iTunes downloaded since there is not enough space on my computer and I don't have access to Wi-Fi in my house to do that way. Also would a replacement iPhone 5 have iOS 7 on it?

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes it takes me a few tries when turning off my iPhone, is that somethi...

I just checked my receipt when I got my iPhone 5 in January 2013 and I purchased Apple Care. I also made a Genies Bar appointment at my Apple Store for this Friday at 3:30 PM, so hopefully I can be lucky with a replacement model.

Assuming that happens are they able to transfer my pictures and everything else to a new model? I can't back it up prior to going because I don't have iTunes downloaded since there is not enough space on my computer and I don't have access to Wi-Fi in my house to do that way. Also would a replacement iPhone 5 have iOS 7 on it?

Oh good, hopefully they will be able to replace it at the store. I believe the official Apple policy says it will be sent in for repair and you will be given a 16 gb loaner. I guess the stores have some leeway with that policy depending on their inventory.

I don't know.if every store works the same way but our store will not do the transfer, in fact they asked if I had everything backed up almost as soon as I checked in. Another customer was getting a replacement device under warranty, and I heard the rep say that they will put her name on it and hold it for her so she can go home and backup her phone.

I have been told that before you can get a replacement they run your phone through some diagnostics for which the phone needs to be factory reset, maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

I would suggest you talk to your store. Good luck hope everything works out for you.

PS: yes the replacement should have 7.1.2 but it will be good to verify before leaving the store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tmlfan4life

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Sometimes it takes me a few tries when turning off my iPhone, is that somethi...

Oh good, hopefully they will be able to replace it at the store. I believe the official Apple policy says it will be sent in for repair and you will be given a 16 gb loaner. I guess the stores have some leeway with that policy depending on their inventory.

I don't know.if every store works the same way but our store will not do the transfer, in fact they asked if I had everything backed up almost as soon as I checked in. Another customer was getting a replacement device under warranty, and I heard the rep say that they will put her name on it and hold it for her so she can go home and backup her phone.

I have been told that before you can get a replacement they run your phone through some diagnostics for which the phone needs to be factory reset, maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

I would suggest you talk to your store. Good luck hope everything works out for you.

PS: yes the replacement should have 7.1.2 but it will be good to verify before leaving the store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Assuming they can give me a replacement model the one thing I care about the most is having my pictures/videos transferred, since I have over 200 of them taken. When I originally got my iPhone I previously had a BlackBerry and they were able to transfer my contacts from there onto the phone in the store. So that's why I'm hoping the same thing can happen with my pictures. If I had to re download my apps again that I won't mind.

tmlfan4life

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Sometimes it takes me a few tries when turning off my iPhone, is that somethi...

I forgot to mention this. 2 Weeks ago I was at the Apple Store I always go to because I was waiting to meet some friends in the same mall, so I had some time to kill until they arrived. Anyway I happened to over hear someone there who said their screen was completely messed up and what made it worse their phone had a pass code lock. Anyway the Apple Genies came back a few minutes later and gave him a replacement model. Now I don't think he had Apple Care because he paid a small fee. My point is if this, if someone got a replacement model for a problem that was not the fault of Apple screwing up like some of us are having with the power/sleep button not working, why doesn't Apple come out and say those with Apple Care be given replacements on the spot? So basically if they can't do that what's the point of Apple Care if we are not the reason our iPhones don't work anymore. When I say that I mean having them break when we drop them on the ground by accident and etc. Personally speaking I don't want to give mine in for a repair because from what I read I will lose everything and like I said before, I can't back it up or switch to iOS 7 since they also say to do that after getting it fixed.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
It is Friday, so good luck at the Apple Store, hope they are able to do all you want. :)

tmlfan4life

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
It is Friday, so good luck at the Apple Store, hope they are able to do all you want. :)

Here is what happened today.

I'm happy to say that I was given a replacement iPhone 5 without any problems at all. The Apple Genies who was very friendly gave me the option of sending in my old one to have the lock button fixed or be given a new one for free, so obviously I went for replacing it. Plus it only took about 15 minutes to back up my old iPhone so all my apps, pictures, contacts and previous settings were transferred onto my new iPhone. Finally it's great to have iOS 7.1.1 and I honestly don't care that it didn't have 7.1.2 I'm assuming the new one I was given must have already had 7.1.1 already on it when it arrived in the store, although it's still a huge improvement over iOS 6.0 which I previously had.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2