Unable to connect to Wi-Fi when away from home

JamesHIII

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone 5 refuses to connect to any Wi-Fi network while I'm away from home. I'm able to connect to and use my home Wi-Fi network without any problems. However, when I'm at Starbucks, traveling, work, etc., I'm unable to connect to any Wi-Fi network. I've taken the following troubleshooting steps without success:

1) Initially, I reset network settings thinking this would be a quick fix. No success.

2) I then deleted all backups on iCloud (to rule out a corrupt backup being the cause, performed a new backup to iCloud, and then performed a deep restore to iOS 7.1.1 via iTunes recovery mode.

I'm still unable to connect to any Wi-Fi network besides my home network. Any advice on how to remedy this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Another step is to also reset the phone by either a "hard" reset with holding both the power button and home button until the white apple logo appears(similar to pulling out the battery while on) or a "soft" reset with turning it off normally and then turning it back on. You can try resetting network settings and then resetting the power on the phone and see if that works.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow!....This is a good one, and one I've never had to deal with. Still, if it can connect to your home Wi-Fi then it should be able to connect to any other Wi-Fi network. When you're at Starbucks or McDonald's and detect their Wi-Fi network, do you wait for the "login" prompt that usually accompany a public hotspot?

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow!....This is a good one, and one I've never had to deal with. Still, if it can connect to your home Wi-Fi then it should be able to connect to any other Wi-Fi network. When you're at Starbucks or McDonald's and detect their Wi-Fi network, do you wait for the "login" prompt that usually accompany a public hotspot?

Thanks JustMe'D, I knew I forgot something to ask and that was it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73