Back to IOS / 64GB for price of 16GB

ibbyj

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Long story short is that I got a little out of control chasing phones and technology. Always had to have latest and greatest android (they're all so cool!), but this wasn't fiscally responsible, I am an adult, time to cut the crap... Haha

I decided to grab a Virgin Mobile iPhone 5 from QVC because this allowed me to spread the cost out over 6 months. Best price at 499? Absolutely not... BUT after a few hours of use today I realized I was sent a 64 gig iPhone instead of 16!

Did Virgin even sell the 5 in 64?

Wish me luck on breaking this phone buying habit. Haha

With android wear coming along, it's going to be hard.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Lucky! And good luck on the habit breaking! I've heard using a blackberry is good when going through latest-smartphone-withdraws :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ibbyj

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Omg,I think I'd crave more if I used a blackberry.

I chose to go with iPhone because Apple tends to keep all models up to date. I'd almost never be missing a feature a fellow iPhone user has, you know?

Who knows if it will work, but it's worth a try.

First step is admitting you have a problem, right?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
LOL. 64 instead of 16. That's very lucky even though its an iPhone 5. Good luck breaking the habit. Just get a 2 year contract without any upgrades. It might help.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
heres the link in case someone else wants to have a go and try to get lucky
Apple iPhone 5 16GB Prepaid Phone & Accs. on Virgin Mobile — QVC.com

And yes once you get to use a blackberry it tends to cure your crave for the latest android, though not so much with the iPhone. This year i am aiming at getting the Classic and the iPhone 6

I disagree if that were the case blackberry wouldn't be hemorrhaging customers (both bb10 and bbos).

Op: good luck on your new endeavor, it doesn't look like you will need it though.

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I disagree if that were the case blackberry wouldn't be hemorrhaging customers (both bb10 and bbos).

Op: good luck on your new endeavor, it doesn't look like you will need it though.

I dare you to try bb10 for 30 days then android then windows phone and iPhone. After that then choose your favourites.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I dare you to try bb10 for 30 days then android then windows phone and iPhone. After that then choose your favourites.

I agree. I've got a Z10, Note 3, and a 5c. Had a couple Windows phones (521,810,925) but just didn't take to WP's.

I love my Z10, when it comes to multitasking, it's second to none.

I like my Note 3, however it's only ever used as a tablet for me. As a phone, it's just too huge to be used comfortably.

I positively adore my 5c. The color brightens my life and iOS is very stable. It's a really reliable device.

Virgin Mobile really gives the best prices on iPhones. Just keep in mind that it'll only ever work on VM. I work for Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobile.

Besides that enjoy your phone and welcome to iMore! If you've got any questions, let me know. :D

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

I did.

Q10, z10, Lumia 925, and a nexus 5.
I also played around with an s5 when Samsung launched it in barcelona back in February, POS. I have even tried sailfish and tizen.

iPhone 5s, no contest.
With iOS 8 it just takes it to another level. ;)

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I've got a Z10, Note 3, and a 5c. Had a couple Windows phones (521,810,925) but just didn't take to WP's.

I love my Z10, when it comes to multitasking, it's second to none.

I like my Note 3, however it's only ever used as a tablet for me. As a phone, it's just too huge to be used comfortably.

I positively adore my 5c. The color brightens my life and iOS is very stable. It's a really reliable device.

Virgin Mobile really gives the best prices on iPhones. Just keep in mind that it'll only ever work on VM. I work for Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobile.

Besides that enjoy your phone and welcome to iMore! If you've got any questions, let me know. :D

What colour is your 5c? I've has iOS since the beginning and so far really I've only seen two radical changes since iPhone OS launch and that was iOS 4 and iOS 7 my favourite was iOS 4 and every incrementation though took getting used to at first made each device better.

I've been thinking of the getting a note. The Note 3 is the only sammysung device that captured my attention except for more recently the SGS5 I want one. I'm thinking trading in my nexus 5 for it but I don't know if I want to the nexus' screen I think for me with my lumber hands is plenty big enough.

My favourite windows phone by far is the original lumia. I digged the design in the N9 and it looked so at home with windows phone series 7. The comparison of camera as the I think it was phone dog did the 808 pureview and the 1020 kinda put me In a Weird position as to if I should get the 1020 sole based on camera or if I could get a sub 200 prerunner of that same sensor albeit on an orphaned OS.

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I did.

Q10, z10, Lumia 925, and a nexus 5.
I also played around with an s5 when Samsung launched it in barcelona back in February, POS. I have even tried sailfish and tizen.

iPhone 5s, no contest.
With iOS 8 it just takes it to another level. ;)

One thing is trying them out for a couple days. Another thing is immersing yourself into their lifestyles. You can't honestly in a week say that you've felt what it is to be an iPhone user. It has taken me from its inception to now, to realize what it is to use an iPhone. It took me 2 years to forgive BlackBerry for the Storm, Android changed so much since my Droid OG and Evo 4g days that now that I got my nexus in march I'm still finding out changes and things I do and don't like about the OS. 30 days isn't enough but it's a start.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
One thing is trying them out for a couple days. Another thing is immersing yourself into their lifestyles. You can't honestly in a week say that you've felt what it is to be an iPhone user. It has taken me from its inception to now, to realize what it is to use an iPhone. It took me 2 years to forgive BlackBerry for the Storm, Android changed so much since my Droid OG and Evo 4g days that now that I got my nexus in march I'm still finding out changes and things I do and don't like about the OS. 30 days isn't enough but it's a start.

Actually no it's not.

I have been using mobile devices from the start, I have used almost every major mobile platform, from day one. Think of a time when Tony fadell was creating handheld PC's and not iPods, when windows and it's ecosystem reigned supreme, when you purchased a phone based on the vendor and not the OS. The days before Symbian and rim, the days of the Walkman and the gameboy, two decades have passed and very few of the companies that have given birth to mobile computing, wireless or otherwise, remain. From my experience you will know very quickly which platform you prefer, especially if you carry more than one device. ;)

Android:
Will transition to 64 bit OS with 5.0.
I want to see how they will handle it, but the current crop of android phones, "meh". I'm very keen to see what they announce for project ara.

Windows:
Will transition to 64 bit next year with windows 9. Having said that, with Microsoft recent acquisition of Nokia's smartphone division and ballmer being replaced by nadella, I'm afraid I no longer have any confidence in the current state of windows phone and it's ecosystem. Microsoft has a nasty habit of burning their customers by just starting over. Project pink, zune, window 6.5, replacing window 7's kernel in windows 8, Xbox kinect etc.. In each instance the change was initiated by new management, Microsoft went through 8 corporate restructuring under ballmer tenure. Now with nadella at the helm and Microsofts previous history, I have enough experience to wait until windows 9 to invest any further in Microsofts ecosystem.
I was tempted by the 1020 for its optics (I loved the 808) but ultimately decided against it. Now that Nokia's pureview architect is headed to apple, so I don't think there will be anything that Microsoft/Nokia could offer me from a hardware perspective.

Blackberry:
They can't compete. Blackberry is done.

As it stands, 54% of blackberry's revenue comes from services, almost all from service access fees on legacy BlackBerry 7 subscribers. 30 million legacy blackberry 7 subscribers have abandoned blackberry in the past year, the figure now remains at 50 million, but not for long. As more and more legacy blackberry users transition away from blackberry and into competing platforms and ecosystem service fees will continue to fall and blackberry will not have any new service revenue until January 2016, because they are giving it away for free in hopes of trying customers.

"The firm launched the EZ Pass program in March to switch over business customers to its BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 offering for free, including new customers coming from rivals. BlackBerry said Thursday more than 2,600 customers have registered under the program. But they won't begin paying support fees until January 2016"

http://m.europe.wsj.com/articles/he...on-blackberrys-turnaround-1403204064?mobile=y

Hardware revenue has been in decline for a while now, having fallen to 39% of revenue. Oh and blackberry 10 sales have fallen to 1 million a quarter, let me repeat that, 1 million A QUARTER. that's about 300,000 a month, that's it. That's nothing. Oh and that includes this bit of WARNING:
"which included shipments made and recognized prior to the first quarter and which reduced the Company's inventory in channel."

So basically that 1 million bb10 figure didn't actually happen in the quarter.

Oh and about that profit blackberry "earned", $23 million thanks to proceeds of $287 million on the sale their campus and other buildings, as well as receipt of a $397 million tax refund. So they will not have that extra $684 million windfall next quarter.

"BlackBerry ekes out a profit as revenue tumbles nearly 70 percent"

http://m.infoworld.com/d/the-indust...rcent-244664?mm_ref=https://www.google.co.uk/

http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=651560

So to answer your question, I know what I'm doing. ;)

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
What colour is your 5c? I've has iOS since the beginning and so far really I've only seen two radical changes since iPhone OS launch and that was iOS 4 and iOS 7 my favourite was iOS 4 and every incrementation though took getting used to at first made each device better.

I've been thinking of the getting a note. The Note 3 is the only sammysung device that captured my attention except for more recently the SGS5 I want one. I'm thinking trading in my nexus 5 for it but I don't know if I want to the nexus' screen I think for me with my lumber hands is plenty big enough.

My favourite windows phone by far is the original lumia. I digged the design in the N9 and it looked so at home with windows phone series 7. The comparison of camera as the I think it was phone dog did the 808 pureview and the 1020 kinda put me In a Weird position as to if I should get the 1020 sole based on camera or if I could get a sub 200 prerunner of that same sensor albeit on an orphaned OS.

I've got a blue one. Two actually. One for Boost Mobile which is a 16GB, then an unlocked 32GB one.

I think without them releasing a 5c, I'd still never have owned an iPhone. I bought a 5s shortly after my initial 5c purchase. Disliked it immensely due to weight and color combinations. IOS 7 is nice and from what I'm hearing/seeing iOS 8 is bringing some interesting options to the table.

I hear you on size, the Note 3 is really quite a monstrosity. The S5 seems to be a tad smaller and has certain feature improvements. If you're going to do a Note series, I'd wait until the 4 releases around November.

I just don't like the platform of Windows 8. Neither on a phone or on a computer. I even tried the Developers preview of 8.1, it just didn't thrill me at all. I think I'm not a fan of the lists even though the live tiles were pretty cool.

I think my favorite Nokia was the PureView 808. Symbian was pretty nice actually. This phone had a camera like nothing else of its time. It's still quite an impressive device.

WebOS was fun for a while, the palm pixi plus was pretty cool. Card view reminds me of the previews in both Android and iOS.

Back on the 5c, do any of the colors interest you?

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I've got a blue one. Two actually. One for Boost Mobile which is a 16GB, then an unlocked 32GB one.

I think without them releasing a 5c, I'd still never have owned an iPhone. I bought a 5s shortly after my initial 5c purchase. Disliked it immensely due to weight and color combinations. IOS 7 is nice and from what I'm hearing/seeing iOS 8 is bringing some interesting options to the table.

I hear you on size, the Note 3 is really quite a monstrosity. The S5 seems to be a tad smaller and has certain feature improvements. If you're going to do a Note series, I'd wait until the 4 releases around November.

I just don't like the platform of Windows 8. Neither on a phone or on a computer. I even tried the Developers preview of 8.1, it just didn't thrill me at all. I think I'm not a fan of the lists even though the live tiles were pretty cool.

I think my favorite Nokia was the PureView 808. Symbian was pretty nice actually. This phone had a camera like nothing else of its time. It's still quite an impressive device.

WebOS was fun for a while, the palm pixi plus was pretty cool. Card view reminds me of the previews in both Android and iOS.

Back on the 5c, do any of the colors interest you?

If apple ever stops going with these dull baby colours I want a bright pastel blue like on the mustangs. Or a bright orange like for does on the focus. Honestly for the aluminium iPhones I want what one of the editors has. Jet black frame with white plastic bits on white class it looks amazing.

I kind of had to agree with FFR is saying with how Microsoft May approach Windows 9. It seems like they do burn customers with every change.

FFR what do you think a company like BlackBerry should do. What should have Palm done?

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
FFR what do you think a company like BlackBerry should do. What should have Palm done?

Blackberry: there are just soo many things they did wrong. There is nothing left for them to do. Blackberry is done.
Back in q2 of 2012, Hardware use to account for 79% of revenue or $4.1 billion. Today it's around $376 million or 39%, with the added WARNING that most of the sales were made in a previous quarter. And without the $690 million that they received from a tax benefit and selling all of their real-estate, next quarter is going to be a blood bath, especially since the last bb10 phone was manufactured late last year.

As for palm you can start here and form your own conclusion.

"Pre to postmortem: the inside story of the death of Palm and webOS"

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/6/5/3062611/palm-webos-hp-inside-story-pre-postmortem

The congruence a between palm and blackberry are mind numbing, it really looks like bb stole palm playbook and fudged it up, At least somebody bought palm, the same can't be said about blackberry.