Asurion replacements

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
My son-in-law has a VZW iPhone 5 that he got about a year ago. He has the insurance with Verizon. He dropped it in a pool a couple of days ago, and when he called Asurion, they told him that they had no 5's and he would have to take a 5c. He asked for a 5s and was refused. That doesn't seem right, does it? All of his cases, etc won't fit a 5c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That is a fair trade-off, and insurance companies will usually replace a device with one just like it or one that is comparable to it, and in this case, the iPhone 5C fits the bill.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
The terms of the insurance stipulate that if your model is not available, they can issue the replacement with a "similar make and model". The 5c would fit those parameters.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Aluminum vs plastic is not comparable, IMO.

I agree, but for this situation, the plastic covered iPhone 5C is the updated version of the former flagship iPhone 5, and is the appropriate insurance-related replacement for it. Build quality and preference are irrelevant in this regard.

agalaria

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they will give 5s. As 5s will be an upgrade (cost & features) and not replacement. 5c is an improved version of 5, so i feel its a fair deal. If they issue 5s, then ppl who have insurance on 5, will want to upgrade to 5s. Which will be wrong.

cyberpaw

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I had the same thing happen several years ago. I had a Motorola phone with the Verizon Asurion policy. The ear piece stopped working. Asurion replaced it with a Samsung model and didn't care that I had about $100 worth of accessories for the Motorola.

This is why I will never get Asurion again. They can send you any "similar" phone, even though the phone model that you need to replace is still being sold in the Verizon stores.

So, now, it's Apple care for me. Not to mention, it costs lees than Asurion.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

iJuan

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My son-in-law has a VZW iPhone 5 that he got about a year ago. He has the insurance with Verizon. He dropped it in a pool a couple of days ago, and when he called Asurion, they told him that they had no 5's and he would have to take a 5c. He asked for a 5s and was refused. That doesn't seem right, does it? All of his cases, etc won't fit a 5c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The same thing happened to me, all you gotta do is talk to upper management. I got the iPhone 5s, I did not settle for the 5c. Nothing would have fit it.
My Lifeproof cases, nada. So in the end I got the 5s. Like you said, plastic does not compare to aluminum

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The same thing happened to me, all you gotta do is talk to upper management. I got the iPhone 5s, I did not settle for the 5c. Nothing would have fit it.
My Lifeproof cases, nada. So in the end I got the 5s. Like you said, plastic does not compare to aluminum

No one is saying that Asurion cannot provide the OP with an iPhone 5S because they can if they choose to. However, what was offered to the OP as a replacement for his iPhone 5 was proper and just, and in accordance with the agreement accepted by the OP when he purchased Asurion insurance. It is not the fault of Asurion or any other insurance-related company that the cases you purchased for a specific device do not fit an upgraded replacement device. If you opt to buy the upcoming larger iPhone 6, will you get ticked at Apple because the cases you purchased for the iPhone 5 and 5S do not fit the iPhone 6?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Plastic? It's Polycarbonate, and a very durable, strong material. The cockpit canopy on the F22 Fighter jet is made of Polycarbonate.

Sent from from my iPhone 5