Have Sleep/Wake button issues on your iPhone5?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Apple is doing a replacement program...

https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/

Apple has determined that the sleep/wake button mechanism on a small percentage of iPhone 5 models may stop working or work intermittently. iPhone 5 models manufactured through March 2013 may be affected by this issue.

Apple will replace the sleep/wake button mechanism, free of charge, on iPhone 5 models that exhibit this issue and have a qualifying serial number.

The site linked above has complete details on checking if your phone is among those eligible for the free repair, and how to go about getting it.

Checked... Mine is among those eligible for a repair... I've got no issues with mine... yet...

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I did once right before my 1 year warranty was up on my iPhone but I brang it to the apple store and swapped it for a new one.. And so far iPhone been flawless

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Svg1314

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Anyone tried out the replacement yet? I'm wondering if they actually hand out loaners for free or not and if it also works at authorized retailers since the nearest Apple store is 3 hours away.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Anyone tried out the replacement yet? I'm wondering if they actually hand out loaners for free or not and if it also works at authorized retailers since the nearest Apple store is 3 hours away.

On the Apple page linked above you'll not only be able to see if your device is eligible - there's a link to locate the nearest authorized repair provider...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Apple is doing a replacement program...

https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/

The site linked above has complete details on checking if your phone is among those eligible for the free repair, and how to go about getting it.

Checked... Mine is among those eligible for a repair... I've got no issues with mine... yet...

Same here, and like you, I'm not having a problem with my sleep/wake button, thankfully....:)

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I made my first trip to an Apple store ever today to get my iPhone 5 lock button solved. It's been bugging me for a while.

I am on Apple Care so I was in and out with a new phone in 20 minutes. No questions asked, they didn't even test the button. I did ask and had I not had AppleCare they would have given me a loaner.

Also for anybody who has not gotten a new iOS device recently for me anyways with the swap it made me eligible for the free iWork's suite.

Svg1314

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
On the Apple page linked above you'll not only be able to see if your device is eligible - there's a link to locate the nearest authorized repair provider...

Unfortunately, the authorized retailer in my area is still receiving information on the replacement program so it may or may not take a whole week. On top of that, I might not even get a loaner unless Apple can send some our way. I am so ready to get rid of assistive touch, maybe I'll just go for a 3 hr drive.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone is in the range of devices that "may" be effected by the Sleep/Wake button failure issue, so I made an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar at the Maine Mall today for 5:20. They got to me at around 5:45 and determined my phone was fine. However, they needed the device to be wiped of all settings and data first so I did a full reset on my way out of work.

Since getting home around 7:30, I've been fighting to get a proper restore on this thing and it's now 10:30. Damn thing keep coming up with over 5 GB of "OTHER" crap preventing me from putting what I want/need back on the phone. I even tried a full restore with a clean download of the OS.

My last backup was last night, and it was a clean backup.

I finally had to resort to setting up as a new phone and doing what I was trying to avoid: Manually reinstall everything and manually re-setup all my accounts, etc.

This is an iPhone. It's supposed to be EASY!:devil:

cjordan93

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm very pleased to finally see this program. I had to take my 5 into the Apple Store in December because the button had failed completely. Unfortunately I had to pay for an out of warranty replacement because it was over 12 months old. Spoke with Apple last night and should be receiving a refund soon!

blessed2bamommie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I tried to take a screen shot the other day and it kept going to Siri. I just remembered seeing this thread. So they will replace the device? Not repair it? And I just got a Bodyguardz replacement.....how do you know if it's dead? I don't think it's locking. Usually I auto lock,

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
The Apple store swapped my iPhone out for a new one because I had AppleCare +. Otherwise they will send it in for repair which takes around 6 days. You are provided with a loaner as well.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

blessed2bamommie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok I got my carrier coverage bc AppleCare doesn't cover theft. I'm fine with that. I was an early adopter so it's a relic now anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Rube8514

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
I had the power button issue about 5/6 months back. I have AppleCare so I wasn't too worried. I made an appt. at the Genius Bar and got in right away with standing room only. I told them the issue. They gave a 5 second look over and went to the back room and grabbed me a new iPhone 5 from the box. Needless to say, I was pretty excited about the customer service. I haven't had any issues with the replacement.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner