Would the Genius bar be able to tell me how many charge-discharge cycles my battery has had?

ktaifan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if my diminished battery life is due to the natural life cycle of my iPhone 5 or just the upgrade to iOS 7 a few months back.

Either way, if I were to go to a genius bar inquiring about replacing my battery, would the geniuses be able to tell me how many charge-discharge cycles my battery has been through? Or for that matter, any info about general battery health?

Thanks all.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if my diminished battery life is due to the natural life cycle of my iPhone 5 or just the upgrade to iOS 7 a few months back.

Either way, if I were to go to a genius bar inquiring about replacing my battery, would the geniuses be able to tell me how many charge-discharge cycles my battery has been through? Or for that matter, any info about general battery health?

Thanks all.

Have you ever restored your device and set it up as new - not from a backup? Doing so could help with your battery life.

estroh

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I just made an appointment for Wednesday. My battery life on a iPhone 5 is diminishing.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

ktaifan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Saw a genius today. I've had 520 charge-discharge cycles. Will contemplate a battery replacement ($80 in Canada); but I've gotten used to plugging in opportunistically. That plus the iPhone 6 is around the corner.

Despite the 520 full cycles, doesn't feel like i'm at 80% capacity; but more like 50-60% of what I originally was used to when I first got the phone in Nov 2012 (and I am certain iOS 7 is a big part to blame as well)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
How to check your battery for drainage problems:
This from former Genius Bar tech Scotty Lovelace.

Your Usage time should be accurate to how much you've used it since you took it off the charger.
So here's the test: write down your Usage and Standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute . If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234