Is my iPhone 5 unlocked?

rustymini

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
In advance I'd like to thank any helpful responses. I have an iPhone 5 from VZW.......it's been paid for outright. I'm thinking of jumping ship to AT&T,and wanted to know if it was compatible with their network? Thanks again......:)

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
The chances are that if you bought it from a carrier, it will be locked to their network; most phones are. Do you have a different sim to check? (I guess not as if you had a different sim you wouldn't be asking the question). :p

If you bought it outright from the, they may be more amenable to unlocking it for you. Some carriers in the USA have a minimum length of time you must be with them before you can unlock a device I believe

rustymini

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been with them since 2011. I have only 1 sim.....Guess I'll go into their corporate store and ask if they'll unlock it. Thanks

rustymini

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
If they unlock it can I go to AT&T? I know some the radio frequencies are different......CDMA...... GSM. Not very knowledgeable about these things.........

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
The Verizon iPhone 5 is already unlocked. It doesn't matter if it is "paid for outright" or not. It's unlocked.

You can use it on AT&T and TMobile. You may or may not get 4g speeds.

rustymini

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I just spoke to VZW tech support,and was told that the phone can only be used on their network only. So is this a flat-out lie? Guess I'm going to have to go into an AT&T Corporate store and find out. If it's a lie then I'm pretty disgusted......

ooklah

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just spoke to VZW tech support,and was told that the phone can only be used on their network only. So is this a flat-out lie? Guess I'm going to have to go into an AT&T Corporate store and find out. If it's a lie then I'm pretty disgusted......

I never had an iPhone while I was on Verizon, but every single Verizon LTE device I have owned has been unlocked out of the box and worked with T-Mobile (Droid DNA, HTC 8X, Lumia 928, Z10, Q10, Z30, Moto X). I don't see why the iPhone 5 would be any different in that regard.
Granted you may or may not get 4G, but they would all accept the SIM and were able to connect to the network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
It's not a "lie" per se. It's just an unknowledgeable (uninformed) rep.

That used to be the case with Verizon phones, but not with this one.

Just calm down. The phone is unlocked. PERIOD.

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I am using a Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T as we speak. It's unlocked for all gsm networks national and international.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I'd take it to an AT&T store to get a SIM card but I wouldn't tell them it's a verizon phone. They may try to talk you out of using it. That's what happened to me anyway. Now I would just go in and get the sim telling them you already have an iPhone.

iPad Mini Tapatalkin'

rustymini

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, I went over to AT&T. I decided to go with the 5s........my 5 was acting weird with the new sim card. Happy Camper here........Thanks to every member who gave me advice......

Sam Renolds

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
i have a s4 running 7.2 iOS its locked to Verizon. So i got a R-SIM 9 its works well till apple wants to activate. what can i do ?? help please

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
i have a s4 running 7.2 iOS its locked to Verizon. So i got a R-SIM 9 its works well till apple wants to activate. what can i do ?? help please
I assume you have an iPhone 4S running iOS 7.0.2. As for Apple wanting you to activate it, let it be activated.

Laughinghyena

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a Verizon iphone 5. I tried out aio wireless (AT&T sister company) and it worked fine. I went back to verizon though (couldn't deal with the slow "high speed" data they offered.)

So yeah, your verizon iphone should work with AT&T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
VZW iPhone 5 WILL work on AT&T - did it with mine - switched back due to crappy AT&T coverage where I use it the most. But yes... 4G (ie HSPA) only on AT&T with a VZW iPhone 5, not LTE.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
PS - it takes a while for the AT&T sim to activate... Sales guy at AT&T usually too impatient and say you need to reset your phone... NOT the case, just be patient... Takes like 5-10 minutes but the AT&T sim WILL activate in a VZW iPhone 5