Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JM19
  • 1 Post By JM19
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iPhone 5: NAND error after replacing broken display

Hello all. I replaced the display assembly on my cousin's iPhone 5 because she dropped it and cracked the glass. Replacement went smooth; way easier than on previously repaired iPhone 4. Anyhow, I went to power on the device and this got a gray screen with black Apple logo and a bunch of tiny lines with messages relating to some kind of errors.

This was my first time ever replacing an iPhone 5. I have never come across this error message(s) before. Did some googling on the matter and found some info stating the problem is the front camera flex cable. Other places saying it's a problem with the NAND memory.

If I try a hard reset by holding the home and power button together the iPhone restarts but then goes into a restarting loop for 3-5 times and then the gray screen with black apple logo and error messages comes up and stays there.

I tried plugging into iTunes but nothing happens. iPhone is not detected by computer nor iTunes. Tried getting it into DFU mode, but nothing.

Anyone experience this problem after replacing the display assembly? Can replacing the front camera flex cable fix this?

I feel horrible. Tried to help my cousin by fixing her iPhone and seems like I made it worst. It's out of warranty so she can't take it to apple. Am I looking at having to buy her another iPhone?

Here's a picture of the gray screen: iPhone 5: NAND error after replacing broken display-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1392450561.465472.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts

Default Re: iPhone 5: NAND error after replacing broken display

Try adjusting the flex cable or take it to the local mobile repair shop and see what they say about this. If that doesn't help then yes, you're looking at having to buy her a new iPhone.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

On the bright side, to buy her a new iPhone is only $250 at the Apple Store to do an out of warranty replacement -- they take the corpse of her old phone and give a fresh unit in return.

Better than having to buy her one new...

You can still go to the Apple Store to get it repaired even though its out of warranty.
    T.
    Ambassador @ iMore

"With great power, comes great responsibility." - Uncle Ben
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,143 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Its a bad display or cable.
    I manage a repair facility and have run across that same issue on a couple of rare occasions. Although i did not look into the actual cause of it we did use another display/glass and it worked just fine.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Update: I disconnected the front camera flex cable and then turned the phone on and everything was fine. Display worked perfectly. The problem is clearly not the display. So it seems like the culprit is the front camera flex cable. I connected it back on to confirm and the gray screen and errors came back. So I will be ordering a new front camera/proximity sensor assembly.

Based on my googling this is a common problem with the iPhone 5. The flex cable is very fragile and can easily get damaged. I will make sure to be extremely careful when installing the new one.

tigerinexile likes this.

Glad it worked out for you.
    T.
    Ambassador @ iMore

"With great power, comes great responsibility." - Uncle Ben
    iMore Nanite

Has anyone tried that new site Brokenbuy.com? I guess they only allow broken electronics. Can you really make money on broken phones? Or should i just fix my iphone 4s. They said I could get $200 for it online.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,143 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thats a tricky question.
    If you buy a broken device cheap enough and have the tools and know how then sure its profitable to buy broken and fix it up.
    But if you have no tools, no parts, never done it before i wouldnt recommend it.
    I manage a repair facility and i buy broken devices for my personal use because i can fix it or have one of my techs fix it. We have the tools, parts and knowledge to do it.
    As long as its not liquid or board level damage.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Update: Received the new front camera and proximity sensor. Installed it being very careful and this fixed the problem.

Thanked by:
    IAmSixNine (02-24-2014), MzShea07 (08-13-2014)
    iOS Gravity likes this.
    iMore Nanite

I have the same exact problem now on my iphone5, after getting my screen replaced, where can I order the front camera and the proximity sensor? Please help!!
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by MzShea07 View Post
    I have the same exact problem now on my iphone5, after getting my screen replaced, where can I order the front camera and the proximity sensor? Please help!!
    Sorry for the late reply. I was on vacation outside the U.S. and had no internet. Anyhow, I ordered it on eBay. Bought two jut in case one was damaged while reinstalling. I think altogether for both is was about $10 or so.

Sent from my iPhone 5C using iMore Forums app
    iMore Nanite

This just happened to my phone after dropping it in water. Any suggestions on what I should do?
    iMore Nanite

Hi,

I received the same NAND error but I didn't touch my phone. I went running with it, and i may have gotten sweat on it, but now I cannot get past that NAND screen.

I just want to back up my data so that I can take it back to Apple and get a new phone ( I have warranty.... I just didnt back up VERY important data on my phone). Thanks.