Text alert sound doesn't play

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
this morning I checked the phone and still no sounds. I had 2 app updates for two apps I downloaded yesterday - yahoo weather and gmail. I deleted the apps. Then plugged into iTunes and backed up the iPhone. Then while still connected to iTunes I tried to play a song. It WORKED. Went to settings and checked the sound for text - WORKED. Disconnected from iTunes and unplugged phone and everything is working as normal. Which is weird because yesterday nothing I did made it work. Still going to go to apple and let them have a look at it. (Warranty is up in a week) Is there something in the phone that gives them a report of crashes or software errors? Could the two apps have done it? I have had both on my phone before. Or are they gonna look at me like I'm an *****?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
In case anyone's interested, I discovered this weekend that the alert tones do work - via bluetooth. If connected to my car or my headset, I hear the text alert tone over the connected speaker.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I had that issue before with my alerts. Try turning Bluetooth off or if you need to keep BT on, try selecting iPhone to disconnect from your car when you don't have the car/stereo/speakers on or when you leave your car. If you are still connected and within range of your car, you won't hear the alerts on your phone.

jpfrog

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same issue with my phone as well. The alerts for texts will not sound unless my phone is plugged into a car charger or my head set. However the ring tones do work. I do not understand it at all and have tried everything. I took it to the sprint store and they did a back up and cleared my phone and restored and still the same problem. If you ever find a solution to the problem please let me know.... this is so frustrating. The best I can do to even somewhat hear a text is to put it on vibrate and I created my own vibrate tone that is one long tone so if it is on the counter I may be able to hear it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue with my phone as well. The alerts for texts will not sound unless my phone is plugged into a car charger or my head set. However the ring tones do work. I do not understand it at all and have tried everything. I took it to the sprint store and they did a back up and cleared my phone and restored and still the same problem. If you ever find a solution to the problem please let me know.... this is so frustrating. The best I can do to even somewhat hear a text is to put it on vibrate and I created my own vibrate tone that is one long tone so if it is on the counter I may be able to hear it.
Do your game sounds and keyboard sounds work?

Sent from from my iPhone 5

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

I don't have any definite fix. They are mostly working now, no changes that I'm aware of between when they weren't working at all and now.

Houston79

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I was told it might be my headphone jack which seems odd now that a lot of folks have this problem. The tech said that my phone still thinks my headphone jack is in use

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I was told it might be my headphone jack which seems odd now that a lot of folks have this problem. The tech said that my phone still thinks my headphone jack is in use

If if was an issue with the headset jack, then logically it would be effecting ALL alerts, and probably ALL sounds.

Double ROT13 encrypted for your protection

Gary Saltis

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
ihad this problem also, found to be two small droplets of water or condensation in the earphone jack, blow it out with compressed air in a can, works well now,,,,,that was after verizon said it was junk, get a new one, NOT! works well now...

Annie Froese

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I tried a lot of things, and the suggestion by JustMe'D worked like a gem!

I've attached it below.

JustMe'D
Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

This problem is irking the heck out of me because I can't fathom what may be the cause. Gordol, if you don't mind, goto Settings-General-Reset and then select "Reset All Settings" and then go in and test the default ringtones to see if any will play for you. If they do, have someone send you 2 or 3 test iMessage or test SMS messages to see if they continue to audibly alert you like they should.

LeeD

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
We started having this problem with our iPhone 5s a few weeks ago. It's gotten very frustrating with the missed text sounds. No software updates or software changes occurred that might instigate such an issue.

What makes the problem worse is that we might try something, or not try something, and the text sounds return, then go away again. Sometimes during our troubleshooting, we think we may have fixed it, but end up finding there's still an issue.

I am very curious to hear confirmation from people who claim it's been fixed, that it stay's fixed.

Everything tells me it's a hardware issue, as the software on it's own shouldn't create such intermittent issues on it's own. Doesn't make any sense.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
We started having this problem with our iPhone 5s a few weeks ago. It's gotten very frustrating with the missed text sounds. No software updates or software changes occurred that might instigate such an issue.

What makes the problem worse is that we might try something, or not try something, and the text sounds return, then go away again. Sometimes during our troubleshooting, we think we may have fixed it, but end up finding there's still an issue.

I am very curious to hear confirmation from people who claim it's been fixed, that it stay's fixed.

Everything tells me it's a hardware issue, as the software on it's own shouldn't create such intermittent issues on it's own. Doesn't make any sense.

That's very unfortunate. Have you taken it to an Apple Store?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I am very curious to hear confirmation from people who claim it's been fixed, that it stay's fixed
As the thread OP, I can report that the problem appears to be resolved for me.

Double ROT13 encrypted for your protection

nancypants58

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: Text alert sound doesn't play on iPhone 5s

On my iPhone 5s, my text alert sound never works when I get a text. I have tried every settings change I can think of, but no luck. This is not a new situation. It has been going on since I got the phone in January.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore Nancy

Seeing as your first post was in this thread I'm assuming you read and know your not alone try some of the suggestions here and reboot your device most times this is the simplest solution

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh