Text alert sound doesn't play

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 5, current iOS (7.0.4) but this issue has been going on since iOS6...

I don't get the sound alert for incoming texts. I get texts so infrequently, that it's hard to pin down any cause/effect. The phone will vibrate, not not play the configured alert tone. The phone does play the correct ringtone for inbound calls. It's set to vibrate both when on silent and not.

If I test the tone in the sound settings, it will not play. Do a full reboot of the phone and now the text alert tone will play. Then when I next get a text, it does not.

I have in the past tested with different tones, both custom and built-in, to no effect.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
If everything your saying is correct and it's been happening since iOS6 and I'm assuming you did an over the air update it just carried over to iOS 7

Back up your data and do a full restore thru iTunes is what i recommend

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
If everything your saying is correct and it's been happening since iOS6 and I'm assuming you did an over the air update it just carried over to iOS 7

Back up your data and do a full restore thru iTunes is what i recommend

The update to v7, and the point releases, were all done via USB tethering to iTunes on the desktop. And IIRC, the 6.x to 7.0 did include a full install and restore.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm and your still experiencing this

Are you using a custom ringtone for your text alert?

You stated it works once after a restart so that's why I'm asking

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea. This probably looks like a software issue but I don't know. Maybe you should try to get it replaced it at apple.

Tapped from my Black & Slate iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes and yes, in that order. :)

Ok custom ringtone I'm guessing an iOS ringtone works fine just having a problem with your custom ringtone

Did you use an app to make this ringtone and is it converted to M4R?

There is a length in seconds that you need to stay under I believe

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok custom ringtone I'm guessing an iOS ringtone works fine just having a problem with your custom ringtone
The same thing happens with any of the default tones.
Did you use an app to make this ringtone and is it converted to M4R?
Yes to both.
There is a length in seconds that you need to stay under I believe
It's three seconds long. My longest tone is 30 seconds, because I know of the 30 second limit dating back to at least my prior iPhone, the 3G 5~6 years ago.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This problem is irking the heck out of me because I can't fathom what may be the cause. Gordol, if you don't mind, goto Settings-General-Reset and then select "Reset All Settings" and then go in and test the default ringtones to see if any will play for you. If they do, have someone send you 2 or 3 test iMessage or test SMS messages to see if they continue to audibly alert you like they should.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
This problem is irking the heck out of me because I can't fathom what may be the cause. Gordol, if you don't mind, goto Settings-General-Reset and then select "Reset All Settings" and then go in and test the default ringtones to see if any will play for you. If they do, have someone send you 2 or 3 test iMessage or test SMS messages to see if they continue to audibly alert you like they should.
That's bringing up a different problem... It's passcode locked and I don't recall setting one, and it's not taking the code I would have set.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, but I must've set one at some point and typoed the code. Looks like I'm going to have to do a restore as new over the weekend.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, I did the restore-as-new and reinstalled my apps. I put the ring tones back on, and now it's worse. The text tone does not play at all anymore regardless of which one I select. I can set the same tones as ring tones for the phone and they work.

Unless someone has another suggestion, looks like I have to go to Verizon or the Apple Store tomorrow and see if my phone is still under warranty.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest going to the apple store over Verizon if you can. Set up a Genius Bar appointment before you go

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest going to the apple store over Verizon if you can. Set up a Genius Bar appointment before you go

Nearest Apple store is an hour away, I can't get there until after 6pm. There is a corp Verizon store 20 minutes from work and another one 15 minutes from home. But yeah, the Apple store would be better. I should check on the warranty status first though, so I don't waste the trip.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Verizon says my iPhone is out of warranty by about two weeks, and thus is ineligible for a replacement. Guess I'll just have to live with it until my upgrade cycle next January.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I will strongly suggest you go to apple

On the phone with an Apple tech now, and he's stumped too. Best guess is that it's hardware, but since it's out of warranty, it's not a free replacement. The nearest Apple Store is an hour away, and the tech says that they only might be able to do something for me, not will.

I can't afford to throw money at it to get a replacement at this time, even a refurb, so I'll live with it until my upgrade cycle or something else breaks.

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I am having this problem as of about 2 hrs ago. All of a sudden I noticed my phone wasn't giving me the text alert tone. (It worked fine all day until dinner time) It just vibrates. I checked the volume and made sure the ringer was on. I checked settings. I reset the phone holding the home and power button. I tried playing music - no sound. I had my husband call my phone - ringer worked normal - sent an email - don't have the swish sound. Has anyone found a reason or fix for this? Looks like I have to decide if I'm going to Apple tomorrow (1 hr 20min drive) (and 1 week left on my warranty!) or try wiping the phone clean and setup as new first ---- I'm also iPhone 5 and current iOS 7

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I am having this problem as of about 2 hrs ago. All of a sudden I noticed my phone wasn't giving me the text alert tone. (It worked fine all day until dinner time) It just vibrates. I checked the volume and made sure the ringer was on. I checked settings. I reset the phone holding the home and power button. I tried playing music - no sound. I had my husband call my phone - ringer worked normal - sent an email - don't have the swish sound. Has anyone found a reason or fix for this? Looks like I have to decide if I'm going to Apple tomorrow (1 hr 20min drive) (and 1 week left on my warranty!) or try wiping the phone clean and setup as new first ---- I'm also iPhone 5 and current iOS 7

If you're under warranty, go make a Genius Bar appointment and get a replacement phone. If it's the same issue I have, nothing you do on the device will fix it. And mine's out of warranty. BTW, music on mine works just fine. I don't have tones set for email at all (nor do I want them) so I cannot comment on that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711