Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    gordol's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,126 Global Posts

    Default Text alert sound doesn't play

    iPhone 5, current iOS (7.0.4) but this issue has been going on since iOS6...

    I don't get the sound alert for incoming texts. I get texts so infrequently, that it's hard to pin down any cause/effect. The phone will vibrate, not not play the configured alert tone. The phone does play the correct ringtone for inbound calls. It's set to vibrate both when on silent and not.

    If I test the tone in the sound settings, it will not play. Do a full reboot of the phone and now the text alert tone will play. Then when I next get a text, it does not.

    I have in the past tested with different tones, both custom and built-in, to no effect.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    If everything your saying is correct and it's been happening since iOS6 and I'm assuming you did an over the air update it just carried over to iOS 7

    Back up your data and do a full restore thru iTunes is what i recommend


    Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    gordol's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,126 Global Posts

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    If everything your saying is correct and it's been happening since iOS6 and I'm assuming you did an over the air update it just carried over to iOS 7

    Back up your data and do a full restore thru iTunes is what i recommend
    The update to v7, and the point releases, were all done via USB tethering to iTunes on the desktop. And IIRC, the 6.x to 7.0 did include a full install and restore.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    Hmmm and your still experiencing this

    Are you using a custom ringtone for your text alert?

    You stated it works once after a restart so that's why I'm asking




    Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    gordol's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,126 Global Posts

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    Hmmm and your still experiencing this

    Are you using a custom ringtone for your text alert?

    You stated it works once after a restart so that's why I'm asking
    Yes and yes, in that order.
  6. #6  
    Haseeb Rehman's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    349 Global Posts

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    I have no idea. This probably looks like a software issue but I don't know. Maybe you should try to get it replaced it at apple.


    Tapped from my Black & Slate iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    Quote Originally Posted by gordol View Post
    Yes and yes, in that order.
    Ok custom ringtone I'm guessing an iOS ringtone works fine just having a problem with your custom ringtone

    Did you use an app to make this ringtone and is it converted to M4R?

    There is a length in seconds that you need to stay under I believe


    Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    gordol's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,126 Global Posts

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    Ok custom ringtone I'm guessing an iOS ringtone works fine just having a problem with your custom ringtone
    The same thing happens with any of the default tones.
    Did you use an app to make this ringtone and is it converted to M4R?
    Yes to both.
    There is a length in seconds that you need to stay under I believe
    It's three seconds long. My longest tone is 30 seconds, because I know of the 30 second limit dating back to at least my prior iPhone, the 3G 5~6 years ago.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    This problem is irking the heck out of me because I can't fathom what may be the cause. Gordol, if you don't mind, goto Settings-General-Reset and then select "Reset All Settings" and then go in and test the default ringtones to see if any will play for you. If they do, have someone send you 2 or 3 test iMessage or test SMS messages to see if they continue to audibly alert you like they should.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    gordol's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,126 Global Posts

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    This problem is irking the heck out of me because I can't fathom what may be the cause. Gordol, if you don't mind, goto Settings-General-Reset and then select "Reset All Settings" and then go in and test the default ringtones to see if any will play for you. If they do, have someone send you 2 or 3 test iMessage or test SMS messages to see if they continue to audibly alert you like they should.
    That's bringing up a different problem... It's passcode locked and I don't recall setting one, and it's not taking the code I would have set.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    Quote Originally Posted by gordol View Post
    That's bringing up a different problem... It's passcode locked and I don't recall setting one, and it's not taking the code I would have set.
    Huh? How is that possible?
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    gordol's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,126 Global Posts

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    I don't know, but I must've set one at some point and typoed the code. Looks like I'm going to have to do a restore as new over the weekend.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    gordol's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,126 Global Posts

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    Well, I did the restore-as-new and reinstalled my apps. I put the ring tones back on, and now it's worse. The text tone does not play at all anymore regardless of which one I select. I can set the same tones as ring tones for the phone and they work.

    Unless someone has another suggestion, looks like I have to go to Verizon or the Apple Store tomorrow and see if my phone is still under warranty.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    I would suggest going to the apple store over Verizon if you can. Set up a Genius Bar appointment before you go
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    gordol's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,126 Global Posts

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post
    I would suggest going to the apple store over Verizon if you can. Set up a Genius Bar appointment before you go
    Nearest Apple store is an hour away, I can't get there until after 6pm. There is a corp Verizon store 20 minutes from work and another one 15 minutes from home. But yeah, the Apple store would be better. I should check on the warranty status first though, so I don't waste the trip.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    gordol's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,126 Global Posts

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    Verizon says my iPhone is out of warranty by about two weeks, and thus is ineligible for a replacement. Guess I'll just have to live with it until my upgrade cycle next January.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    Quote Originally Posted by gordol View Post
    Verizon says my iPhone is out of warranty by about two weeks, and thus is ineligible for a replacement. Guess I'll just have to live with it until my upgrade cycle next January.
    I will strongly suggest you go to apple
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    gordol's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,126 Global Posts

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post
    I will strongly suggest you go to apple
    On the phone with an Apple tech now, and he's stumped too. Best guess is that it's hardware, but since it's out of warranty, it's not a free replacement. The nearest Apple Store is an hour away, and the tech says that they only might be able to do something for me, not will.

    I can't afford to throw money at it to get a replacement at this time, even a refurb, so I'll live with it until my upgrade cycle or something else breaks.
  19. #19  
    jobosumm's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    191 Posts
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    I am having this problem as of about 2 hrs ago. All of a sudden I noticed my phone wasn't giving me the text alert tone. (It worked fine all day until dinner time) It just vibrates. I checked the volume and made sure the ringer was on. I checked settings. I reset the phone holding the home and power button. I tried playing music - no sound. I had my husband call my phone - ringer worked normal - sent an email - don't have the swish sound. Has anyone found a reason or fix for this? Looks like I have to decide if I'm going to Apple tomorrow (1 hr 20min drive) (and 1 week left on my warranty!) or try wiping the phone clean and setup as new first ---- I'm also iPhone 5 and current iOS 7
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    gordol's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,126 Global Posts

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    Quote Originally Posted by jobosumm View Post
    I am having this problem as of about 2 hrs ago. All of a sudden I noticed my phone wasn't giving me the text alert tone. (It worked fine all day until dinner time) It just vibrates. I checked the volume and made sure the ringer was on. I checked settings. I reset the phone holding the home and power button. I tried playing music - no sound. I had my husband call my phone - ringer worked normal - sent an email - don't have the swish sound. Has anyone found a reason or fix for this? Looks like I have to decide if I'm going to Apple tomorrow (1 hr 20min drive) (and 1 week left on my warranty!) or try wiping the phone clean and setup as new first ---- I'm also iPhone 5 and current iOS 7
    If you're under warranty, go make a Genius Bar appointment and get a replacement phone. If it's the same issue I have, nothing you do on the device will fix it. And mine's out of warranty. BTW, music on mine works just fine. I don't have tones set for email at all (nor do I want them) so I cannot comment on that.
  21. #21  
    jobosumm's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    191 Posts
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    Thanks Gordol. I made a Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow morning. I think my apple warranty is up on 3/5/14.
  22. #22  
    jobosumm's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    191 Posts
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    this morning I checked the phone and still no sounds. I had 2 app updates for two apps I downloaded yesterday - yahoo weather and gmail. I deleted the apps. Then plugged into iTunes and backed up the iPhone. Then while still connected to iTunes I tried to play a song. It WORKED. Went to settings and checked the sound for text - WORKED. Disconnected from iTunes and unplugged phone and everything is working as normal. Which is weird because yesterday nothing I did made it work. Still going to go to apple and let them have a look at it. (Warranty is up in a week) Is there something in the phone that gives them a report of crashes or software errors? Could the two apps have done it? I have had both on my phone before. Or are they gonna look at me like I'm an *****?
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  
    gordol's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,126 Global Posts

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    In case anyone's interested, I discovered this weekend that the alert tones do work - via bluetooth. If connected to my car or my headset, I hear the text alert tone over the connected speaker.
  24. #24  
    LVMHgirl's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    776 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,111 Global Posts

    Default Text alert sound doesn't play

    I had that issue before with my alerts. Try turning Bluetooth off or if you need to keep BT on, try selecting iPhone to disconnect from your car when you don't have the car/stereo/speakers on or when you leave your car. If you are still connected and within range of your car, you won't hear the alerts on your phone.
  25. #25  
    jpfrog's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

    I am having the same issue with my phone as well. The alerts for texts will not sound unless my phone is plugged into a car charger or my head set. However the ring tones do work. I do not understand it at all and have tried everything. I took it to the sprint store and they did a back up and cleared my phone and restored and still the same problem. If you ever find a solution to the problem please let me know.... this is so frustrating. The best I can do to even somewhat hear a text is to put it on vibrate and I created my own vibrate tone that is one long tone so if it is on the counter I may be able to hear it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CFC - Free International Calls & SMS Texting Online
    By ranbeerchauhan2 in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-12-2015, 06:12 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 09:45 AM
  3. Only can play purchased music on iPad 2
    By jbosox80 in forum iPad 2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-04-2014, 09:56 PM
  4. Google Play Music
    By serglb in forum iPhone 5s
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-03-2014, 09:15 PM
  5. editing a screeshot of a text
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2014, 01:04 PM

Posting Permissions