Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play

I have an Iphone 6 and have had the same problem. My alert tones would work during the day but not at night when I got home. Weird! I did drop in some water just a few days after getting it (first time ever for a cell phone) and thought it might be the problem. I THINK I have figured it out with the help of one of the previous posts here. I recently bought a stereo sound bar for my TV which includes Bluetooth. I tried multiple times tonight to get the text tone working but couldn't do it. As soon as I turned off the BT it has been working. I think that's the fix! It makes sense.
    iMore Nanite

Go into settings, and then into Do Not Disturb, and then turn the manual setting off
    iMore Nanite

Did you Enabled 'Do Not Disturb" Manual on by chance?
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Default Re: Text alert sound doesn't play - Fix!

Hey ppl, I found an answer for you guys, take a disinfectant wipe and a strong paper clip and clean your contacts both for the head phone port and the jack at the bottom, turns out a bit of dirt can sometime confuse the phone regarding weather its plugged into something or not causing the issue!

RandomBB
    Last edited by kch50428; 03-11-2015 at 04:41 PM. Reason: redact url
    iMore Nanite

Thanks. Turning off the bluetooth worked for me.
    iMore Nanite

I only started getting the same problem when I connected my iPhone to my company's vehicle via Bluetooth, Try this as a solution, in my case I connected phone to my Bluetooth earpiece, wake phone up by pressing button( white square one ) swipe phone from bottom upwards and as long as you're connected to Bluetooth you should see the AirPlay button with the name of your Bluetooth equipment, tap this button and then another screen will appear and a tick will be beside your Bluetooth equipment, change it to iPhone by tapping it and it should start getting the alerts.
    Only problem is you have to do this each time you connect to your Bluetooth source.
    iMore Nanite

I have the same issue, but now my ringtones will no longer audibly play either! This has also been going on for me since earlier iOS versions also, but don't remember the number. Have searched iPhone and iOS fora on the Net and found this is a problem for MANY iPhone users. Apple, what's up with this? Don't appreciate the "factory reset" option. Too much work for all of us when you need to address the problem as a recurring bug and FIX it (please).

Default Text alert sound doesn't play

Quote Originally Posted by bkenn View Post
    I have the same issue, but now my ringtones will no longer audibly play either! This has also been going on for me since earlier iOS versions also, but don't remember the number. Have searched iPhone and iOS fora on the Net and found this is a problem for MANY iPhone users. Apple, what's up with this? Don't appreciate the "factory reset" option. Too much work for all of us when you need to address the problem as a recurring bug and FIX it (please).
    This is not Apple. It's iMore. But you can leave Apple feedback here:
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

So this has happened on more than one iPhone? Hmm!
    iMore Nanite

My iPhone 4s, 5, and 6 all have this problem i'm tired of this, switching to Samsung, or selling all apple products not working proper and buy a iPhone 6 WITH WARRANTY. Word of advice if you are bent on purchasing any Apple product BUY THE WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I own a iPad 2 and bought a MacAir full warranty on both $400 but believe me well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Lidster View Post
    My iPhone 4s, 5, and 6 all have this problem i'm tired of this, switching to Samsung, or selling all apple products not working proper and buy a iPhone 6 WITH WARRANTY. Word of advice if you are bent on purchasing any Apple product BUY THE WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I own a iPad 2 and bought a MacAir full warranty on both $400 but believe me well spent.
    Do you have everything set correctly? Odd you've had the same issue with 3 phones. That doesn't sound like an Apple problem. Have you chosen an alert tone in Settings?
    iMore Nanite

I just had the same problem with my iPhone 6S. Had recently turned Bluetooth on to connect to my car. Realized a few days later that I wasn't hearing audio alerts for incoming texts. Just turned off Bluetooth and now it works fine. The car is turned off and in the garage. Seems like a bug to me.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    7,086 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garyf789 View Post
    I just had the same problem with my iPhone 6S. Had recently turned Bluetooth on to connect to my car. Realized a few days later that I wasn't hearing audio alerts for incoming texts. Just turned off Bluetooth and now it works fine. The car is turned off and in the garage. Seems like a bug to me.
    Have this same problem when in my car.
    Good Luck
    iMore Nanite

I discovered this thread because text alert sounds were not working on my iphone 4 (yes in 2016). I didn't even know whether the call alert ringer was working because people don't call me very much, they text me and those sounds text weren't coming in. Anyways, took my phone out of the otter box for once and got curious about the little switch on the left side. Switched it from down to up (no orange showing). Text alerts now work. I guess it's the silence button. Didn't know that until now. I've had the phone in use almost 6 months now, but never looked into the little switch until today. This might solve the issue for a few of the more antiquated and dense people like me who use 5 to 10 year old computing products and don't pay attention to any of the features or apps.

I was having this issue and found if the alert style was on none, the tone didn't work. It had to be on banner or alert.
    iMore Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by jpfrog View Post
    I am having the same issue with my phone as well. The alerts for texts will not sound unless my phone is plugged into a car charger or my head set. However the ring tones do work. I do not understand it at all and have tried everything. I took it to the sprint store and they did a back up and cleared my phone and restored and still the same problem. If you ever find a solution to the problem please let me know.... this is so frustrating. The best I can do to even somewhat hear a text is to put it on vibrate and I created my own vibrate tone that is one long tone so if it is on the counter I may be able to hear it.
    I was having the same problem when I updated. I went into settings and notifications and ringtones (all ringtone apps on my phone) and for some reason sound had been switched to off. Switched them on and text message alerts now work.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123