To update or to not update

Michael Zajdel

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I'm getting new iPhone 5 for Christmas with preinstalled iOS 6 and as much as I love iOS 7 on my iPad Air I am worried that upgrading 6 to 7 may affect battery life. What is your opinion? Should I stay with iOS 6 or upgrade it to 7?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As long as you don't have a constant weak signal, monitor the apps that send and receive data behind the scenes, limit iADs, etcetera, your battery life should be fine.

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I'm getting new iPhone 5 for Christmas with preinstalled iOS 6 and as much as I love iOS 7 on my iPad Air I am worried that upgrading 6 to 7 may affect battery life. What is your opinion? Should I stay with iOS 6 or upgrade it to 7?

How exciting just knowing you're getting a new phone for Christmas! I've had both operating systems on my iPhone5 and don't see any significant battery issues. On a side note the one and only drawback in upgrading to 7 in my opinion is that your wallpaper will not be visible all the way to the bottom of the screen. There is an opaque dock that holds a bottom row of icons. But again you asked about battery life and if that is your only concern.... Upgrade away and enjoy your phone on Christmas!!

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I love iOS 7 on my iPhone 5. The battery has not suffered from the update at all. I would update it as soon as I got it if I were you.

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I also held off, worrying about lag, overall speed and battery issues. Finally gave in last weekend and updated both iPhone 5 and iPad 3 to iOS 7.0.4 simultaneously (really hate that Apple does not allow us to shoose to go back/downgrade) but I have not regretted it.

Yes iOS 7 is slightly slower than 6, mainly, IMHO, to animation of apps and settings opening/closing, and there is the occasional lag here and there (on my iPad 3), but its not anything to really fret over (and I am usually the type who does...). My battery life is the same on both devices as it was on iOS 6 (i.e. no where near what Apple claims, and what some users of these forums experience...)

Of course "your mileage may vary", but I thought I would give you my thoughts, having had the same reservations as you.

Good luck!

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
If you are worried about the annimations "slowing" down the phone or the launch time for certain things, turn them off! That is what I did, and I have been very content.

I like the annimations, I just felt that they were unnecessary for me...but to each their own!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
How exciting just knowing you're getting a new phone for Christmas! I've had both operating systems on my iPhone5 and don't see any significant battery issues. On a side note the one and only drawback in upgrading to 7 in my opinion is that your wallpaper will not be visible all the way to the bottom of the screen. There is an opaque dock that holds a bottom row of icons. But again you asked about battery life and if that is your only concern.... Upgrade away and enjoy your phone on Christmas!!

Kinda wish the "opaque dock" would have remained with the OS update....I like the look of it

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I got a new iPhone 5 two days ago. It came with iOS6. My goodness, I found it terrible. I kept it for a few hours for old times sake but I find that iOS 7 has brought us into the future and iOS 6 and before while the look that changed the smartphone game has run its course.

Strangely many people dislike iOS 7 and I think it very nice looking.

iOS 7 works find on the 5, I have absolutely no problems, I updated from a 4s (also on iOS7) and enjoy a much faster phone, nice looking screen, and my battery life lasts all day as normal.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh