Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Default How easily do the edges scuff?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but since it's been over a year now since it came out, I figured I'd get a lot more opinions and experiences this way.

What I'm mainly wondering is how easily do those gorgeous chamferred edges scuff? That's where the main problem seems to be when it comes to this phone getting scratched etc. I don't mean when you drop it, or smack it against a wall, rather just from day to day use, without a case but not being reckless. Putting it in your pocket, taking it out, placing it on a table, etc. Does it easily chip away from this type of standard use?

Is it true that they changed the manufacturing process after the whole scuffgate thing? Would it be safe to assume that later productions had more quality?

Finally, where can I get those peel on skins, but also for the edges? Do they even exist? Thanks.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts

Default Re: How easily do the edges scuff?

Yes this has been asked a few times, but it's all good. Apple has fixed the issue that they had with the 5. So far with the 5s there have been no complaints of scratches and paint chipping off the back or sides.
    I think if you are careful with your phone you shouldn't have an issue. I use mine without cases and they look great
    " Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that , who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!"

I've had my 5 since June, no scuffs or scratches.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by taz323 View Post
    I've had my 5 since June, no scuffs or scratches.
    You use a body skin or a case?
    " Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that , who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!"

Quote Originally Posted by H A W K View Post
    You use a body skin or a case?
    50/50 case at work, none at home.
    Taz323

Community Rules & Guidelines
    App and Developer Rules & Guidelines
    Marketplace Rules & Guidelines
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Nanite

Thanks everyone. I'm just unsure whether to go for the 5 (don't like the 5s) because I don't want to have to be extra careful with the phone since I'm not one to use a case (skins are ok). I'd rather experience it as it is. I'm not careless, but I don't want to be thinking every time how to delicately handle the phone.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by taz323 View Post
    50/50 case at work, none at home.
    Impressive, all three of my 5's were losing paint after a week of normal usage.
    Banned

They get dinged and chipped within the first week. I don't even know how it was happening. I traded my phone the first time and got a new one, hoping that it wouldn't chip away but it ended up looking worse than the other one did.

This was my first one...

How easily do the edges scuff?-w1vjp1.jpg

That is a substantial mark near the home button. A chunk of the phone is just gone, as if someone had been nibbling on it.
    iMore Pro

Yes this has been asked a few times, but it's all good. Apple has fixed the issue that they had with the 5. So far with the 5s there have been no complaints of scratches and paint chipping off the back or sides.
    I think if you are careful with your phone you shouldn't have an issue. I use mine without cases and they look great
    The whole scuff issue was from the black and slate iPhone 5 not the white and silver.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    iOS Version

i have a black 5. (since may i think) i have used it with cases, and without cases. i do not have any scuffs, scratches, or paint chips on it anywhere. nowadays i mostly use it without a case - and put the life proof case on it when its raining out, or I'm going out (like to a bar/restaurant ) so i don't have to worry about setting the phone down and having something spilled on it. i had a screen protector on the front only for scratch protection but took it off because i thought it really took away from the crispness of the screen. could have been just a crappy screen protector.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaberSerene View Post
    The whole scuff issue was from the black and slate iPhone 5 not the white and silver.
    Yeah that's the one I had.
    iMore Pro

Yeah that's the one I had.
    Yeah it scratched extremely easily. It was a shame.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts

Yeah it scratched extremely easily. It was a shame.
    Yeah I'm not one to care about a few scuffs and scratches, but when it looks like hell after a week of light use with no drops or breaks that's an issue. My space grey and gold both go out without a case, into my pockets that has loose change, keys, etc and not one mark on either yet... Well a few miny ones on the screen when you hold it up to the light you can barely see them
    iMore Pro

Heh I wouldn't slide an iPhone in my pocket without a case especially with change in my pocket! I'm rocking Apple's iPhone case in black 👍. Great case
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts

Heh I wouldn't slide an iPhone in my pocket without a case especially with change in my pocket! I'm rocking Apple's iPhone case in black 👍. Great case
    They hold up surprisingly well believe it or not. Yeah I seen a few of those cases they look pretty good
    iMore Pro

I'm thinking about buying another case! Different color ha. It's hard to imagine the metal band not getting scratched or chipped from the change!
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts

I'm thinking about buying another case! Different color ha. It's hard to imagine the metal band not getting scratched or chipped from the change!
    Yeah I mean I do my best not to get it beaten up obviously but sometimes in a rush it ends up in the change pocket lol
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

The black iPhone 5 will scuff/scratch on the edges if you breathe on it too hard. Mine has been in some sort of case from day 1 and is still scuffed.
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...DSC0257222.jpg
    My first pride and joy: 2008 Mazda3 S Touring
    Second: iPhone!
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iMore Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by Auturi View Post
    That is a substantial mark near the home button. A chunk of the phone is just gone, as if someone had been nibbling on it.
    lol! Is there someone in your household who likes the taste of an iPhone?

Thanks everyone though. The black iPhone 5 is truly beautiful in design, and still compact enough...but I'll still need to think further! If anyone has any photos of their iPhone 5 that would be great!
    iMore Intermediate

I had the White/Silver one and it scratched if you looked at it wrong. But man, it took drops like an absolute champ! The screen had no business surviving the drops that it went through.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Current

I am desperately trying to avoid paint chips. I just got the black alaline leather case. I love it. It's beginning to show a little wear after a week or so, but it gives it character. The leather is soft and the case fits perfectly. I'm thinking of getting the brownish one too. I admit that I am a case junky. My wife has had the same poor otterbox for years but I can't do that.