iPhone 5 battery indicator erratic

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
One reason I just leave the percentage off as it's off by default anyway! :D
That doesn't really solve the problem, just kinda hides it. All that does is hide the fact that you can get an actual reading of the battery messing up, because it's still gonna mess up regardless.

@moloes I am experiencing the same exact problem, and am going to schedule an appointment with the Genius bar soon as well; I will let you know if they tell me something differently

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
That doesn't really solve the problem, just kinda hides it. All that does is hide the fact that you can get an actual reading of the battery messing up, because it's still gonna mess up regardless.

@moloes I am experiencing the same exact problem, and am going to schedule an appointment with the Genius bar soon as well; I will let you know if they tell me something differently

Since my visit to the Genius Bar and my battery was replaced my phone has been ok. I was so adornment it was the latest version of iOS at the time.

However since two of my friend have developed this issue but even worse than my experiences. They are yet to book an appointment but it is strange why it's more of a problem now than before.

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Since my visit to the Genius Bar and my battery was replaced my phone has been ok. I was so adornment it was the latest version of iOS at the time.

However since two of my friend have developed this issue but even worse than my experiences. They are yet to book an appointment but it is strange why it's more of a problem now than before.

I'm still a little skeptical, because it seems that this problem has only arrived since the iOS 7 update for most people experiencing the problem. Two of my other friends also have the same problem, 1 has the iPhone 4s, and the other has a refurbished iPhone 5 (geeksquad gave it to him after his lock screen button broke) so it just seems like a little too much of a coincidence. Even if this is a battery hardware problem, it is a lot more wide-spread than any other type of problem, which makes me believe that maybe the batteries are just faulty are very faulty-prone.

trebor8806

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Since I have updated to 7.0.4 on my iPhone 5 I have been having the same problem. Battery percentage keeps jumping around. It will stick at a percent for awhile and then drain very quick. I go to plug it in and jumps back up to almost full. I did a restore as new and still have the problem. I have been wanting to make an appointment for the genius bar but I wonder if it's just a software issue..

adam567

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Since I have updated to 7.0.4 on my iPhone 5 I have been having the same problem. Battery percentage keeps jumping around. It will stick at a percent for awhile and then drain very quick. I go to plug it in and jumps back up to almost full. I did a restore as new and still have the problem. I have been wanting to make an appointment for the genius bar but I wonder if it's just a software issue..

Same here! I've been through many forums and am seeing many reports of this too! My phone never did this on ios 6 and started doing it immediately after the update! The big drops tend to happen near the halfway mark. Mine always occur if I'm using LTE. If I'm on wifi the meter goes down normal. If I'm using the camera or I crank the brightness while playing a game the big chunks come off. But then like right now I'm stuck at 5% and it has been stuck there for 2 hours!! The capacity is the same and I'm getting about the same usage but the meter is calculating drain wrong. I've restored at new a couple times and have drained it down and hard reset and all that stuff. Still happens! Gotta be a software problem! It's been driving me nuts! It's weird how putting in a new battery seems to fix the problem for some people.... Did apple plant a bug where at a certain number of charge cycles the phone is programmed to go bezerk and show the wrong levels in order to score some money off of battery replacements?? Hmmm. I just hope it's fixed in 7.1.

trebor8806

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Same here! I've been through many forums and am seeing many reports of this too! My phone never did this on ios 6 and started doing it immediately after the update! The big drops tend to happen near the halfway mark. Mine always occur if I'm using LTE. If I'm on wifi the meter goes down normal. If I'm using the camera or I crank the brightness while playing a game the big chunks come off. But then like right now I'm stuck at 5% and it has been stuck there for 2 hours!! The capacity is the same and I'm getting about the same usage but the meter is calculating drain wrong. I've restored at new a couple times and have drained it down and hard reset and all that stuff. Still happens! Gotta be a software problem! It's been driving me nuts! It's weird how putting in a new battery seems to fix the problem for some people.... Did apple plant a bug where at a certain number of charge cycles the phone is programmed to go bezerk and show the wrong levels in order to score some money off of battery replacements?? Hmmm. I just hope it's fixed in 7.1.

Yeah I think I'll wait it out till 7.1 is released. Also, since you've mentioned it happening mostly on LTE, it's the same way for me. And most times when I do a hard reset the percentage will go a little higher each time a hard reset is done. There was a day I was on LTE, not moving, and the battery dropped from 41% to 3% in 10 minutes and the phone shut off. I tried to turn the phone back on and it kept saying the charger must be connected. I wasn't anywhere near a power source so I sat the phone down and after a couple minutes the phone came back on with 24%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tournicotii

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I have recently experienced the same issue - mostly when on 4G with my iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4 and watching a YouTube video: the battery percentage drops by 10% or more in an instant. The moment I plug the phone back, the battery goes up to its previous original level.

I went to the Genius bar yesterday, as my warranty is expiring next week. This was my second visit, and both time, they wanted me to restore the phone as new. I have too much info to lose by doing this, so I would like to know if anyone else has solved whether this is battery related or software related.

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
funny you mentioned GTA. I have noticed similar battery behaviour after installing GTA San Andreas. I have romeved it now and will see if it comes back to normal.

adam567

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
From my experiences and what I see you guys writing too is that there must be a bug. The battery meter always seems to drop weird and fast when something very power demanding is happening such as using cellular data, playing a graphic intensive game, or using the camera. The ios 7.0.4 is calculating the drain wrong and it's causing the meter to drop too fast. I've seen a lot of posts about people's phones shutting off too after doing some of those things. Mine hasn't done that yet but it will get stuck on a percentage after it drastically drops and hang there for sometimes an hour or more and then will start ticking down again. I still manage to get a "normal" runtime out of the battery so I know the capacity is still there. And it was fine before the update. I'm still getting about 1.5 hours less usage than ios6 though will all the battery save tips too. And I've restored as new twice and I've been going though many full charge and discharge cycles. I really wish apple would just come clean and say there is a bug and they are working on it.

trebor8806

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I have recently experienced the same issue - mostly when on 4G with my iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4 and watching a YouTube video: the battery percentage drops by 10% or more in an instant. The moment I plug the phone back, the battery goes up to its previous original level.

I went to the Genius bar yesterday, as my warranty is expiring next week. This was my second visit, and both time, they wanted me to restore the phone as new. I have too much info to lose by doing this, so I would like to know if anyone else has solved whether this is battery related or software related.

After restoring my phone as new I still had the percentage problems. I ended up taking my iPhone 5 to the Genius Bar and they did a test with the battery and said it was the problem. They replaced my battery using my AppleCare and after 4 days now I haven't noticed any of the problems I mentioned before.

trebor8806

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
From my experiences and what I see you guys writing too is that there must be a bug. The battery meter always seems to drop weird and fast when something very power demanding is happening such as using cellular data, playing a graphic intensive game, or using the camera. The ios 7.0.4 is calculating the drain wrong and it's causing the meter to drop too fast. I've seen a lot of posts about people's phones shutting off too after doing some of those things. Mine hasn't done that yet but it will get stuck on a percentage after it drastically drops and hang there for sometimes an hour or more and then will start ticking down again. I still manage to get a "normal" runtime out of the battery so I know the capacity is still there. And it was fine before the update. I'm still getting about 1.5 hours less usage than ios6 though will all the battery save tips too. And I've restored as new twice and I've been going though many full charge and discharge cycles. I really wish apple would just come clean and say there is a bug and they are working on it.

It can't be a software issue. Mine was solved when Apple replaced my battery. No problems since.

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
My phone has been replaced entirely, not just the battery.
I am pretty sure it was caused by GTA San Andreas game. The battery issues stared just after installing the game. It must have some corrupted files.
The game itself was crashing and I requested refund for the game from app store. I didn't explain why I wanted the refund, nor they asked me why. Refund completed with no questions asked. It is not like Apple to me. They must know they messed up allowing faulty app into the store.

purplekatipo

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I've had the same issue. Phone was 10months old and at the time was running ios 6.x. I has hoped the upgrade to ios 7 wod fix it. But no. After trying many things suggested by many people, I took my phone into my carrier. They sent it away to be checked and found the battery "drained slightly faster than normal". That was it. They replaced my phone. Looked new but may have been refurbished.

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
My phone has been replaced entirely, not just the battery.
I am pretty sure it was caused by GTA San Andreas game. The battery issues stared just after installing the game. It must have some corrupted files.
The game itself was crashing and I requested refund for the game from app store. I didn't explain why I wanted the refund, nor they asked me why. Refund completed with no questions asked. It is not like Apple to me. They must know they messed up allowing faulty app into the store.

I have San Andreas installed on my iPhone 5 but not noticed any problems with my battery draining any quicker. Obviously playing the game will zap your battery quickly but I don't believe the game app is causing the issue your experiencing. Did you delete the game and reinstall just incase.

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I went to the Genius Bar and they ran a diagnostic on my battery and found it was under performing considering how many full cycles it had done. However there battery performance graph didn't indicate that it was a manufacturing fault. Due to my phone being out of its one year warranty I had to pay ?55 for them to replace the battery. I didn't mind paying that knowing it will last longer and if I didn't choose to upgrade this September I will have better battery performance than if I hadn't had the battery replaced.

The key thing is it solved my problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner