Odd Charging Problems iOS7?

SourBB

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
So I'm currently running iOS 7.0.2 and something very odd is happening when I try to charge my iphone 5. I'm using the original iphone charger that came with the phone by the way. So when I plug it in it doesn't recognize the charger, so I usually plug and unplug it untill it does recognize it. If it does recognize it it'll constantly charge and uncharge untill it finally just stays charging. I thought it might be the cord so I went to buy a replacement cord and bought a rocketfish cord not knowing some 3rd party accessories would not work with the phone regardless, in the end my iPhone didn't recognize the charger. I was on the phone with apple care for hours and basically just told me to wipe my phone and restore but that did not work. I'm wondering if it indeed is a software issue or hardware. During the restoring I did notice that when I set it up as a new phone it did recognize the charger for the short amount of time I tried it out. If anyone knows a fix for this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could help but my current 4S soon to be 5S works just fine recognizing the charger and has no issue picking it up and charging to 100% in a few hours.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Charge another device with the wall charger. If it charges another device with another cable with no issue the charger is OK. Preferably charge a non-Apple device.

Does your iPhone charge fine from your computer USB ports? I'd also recommend trying a different non-Apple charger. If you still encounter problems then it's the phone.

Or you could simply not do any of that. Take your phone, the cable, and charger to an Apple Store and have all three of them replaced.

You said you already tried multiple cables. Is the third party cable you got Apple certified? If it's a cheap knock off you may have issues. Amazon sells 6 foot certified lightning cables for $15 if you need another cable that is certified.

SourBB

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Charge another device with the wall charger. If it charges another device with another cable with no issue the charger is OK. Preferably charge a non-Apple device.

Does your iPhone charge fine from your computer USB ports? I'd also recommend trying a different non-Apple charger. If you still encounter problems then it's the phone.

Or you could simply not do any of that. Take your phone, the cable, and charger to an Apple Store and have all three of them replaced.

You said you already tried multiple cables. Is the third party cable you got Apple certified? If it's a cheap knock off you may have issues. Amazon sells 6 foot certified lightning cables for $15 if you need another cable that is certified.

Well the new charger that I used was a $20 rocketfish from bestbuy and I'm pretty sure it's licensed. I've tried cleaning the port with a Q tip and it hasn't helped, and my USB port on my laptop does charge it but I have to plug it in and out several times before it recognizes it.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a rocketfish cable that I bought at Best Buy and it works great. Try cleaning out the charging port on the phone with a Q-tip or blow it in. Is there any damage in the port area? If this doesn't work make an appointment at your nearest Apple store. Good luck.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
If it's also having issues charging from your computer then it's probably the phone that has a problem. Does this happen with 2 different cables?

You should likely visit Apple and get the phone replaced.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a rocketfish cable that I bought at Best Buy and it works great. Try cleaning out the charging port on the phone with a Q-tip. Is there any damage in the port area? If this doesn't work make an appointment at your nearest Apple store. Good luck.

zachslusser

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Get a toothbrush or some soft bristled brush and clean out the charging port. The same thing happened to me and I took it to the  store and. they did this. And also told me to not use compressed air as this could push the dust further into the phone.

Vivek Singh14

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
i'm experiencing same problem.im running ios 7.1.1 on an ipad 4(retina display).my ipad wont recognize original recommended 12 w apple charger but it works fine with any other charger(samsung,blackberry,etc.).i also reported to apple service centre.they tried my charger with other devices and it seems to work fine and so they are not replacing the charger,saying the fault is with the ipad(jailbroken).they are asking for a restore which i'm afraid to lose my jailbreak.i'm pretty sure that it wont work even after restoring it to ios 8(as was the case with me before ios 7 was jailbroken).i'm experiencing this problem for so long and i'm working with non apple chargers since then.i think apple must do something in order to prevent these small ****ty bugs.
P.S.: ipad recognizes the charger when its shut down and the lightening cable is inserted to it i.e. it starts booting up.

this kind of issue is so ******* annoying. :(

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73