my 1st iPhone...(coming from BBRRY)

lgfaver

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
First off Welcome to iMore lgfaver :biggrin: Here I am 9 months later after being a blackberry user forever. I only took the iPhone5 on a new contract because my carrier supposedly wasn't getting the Z10. I had myself convinced that I would save up and buy a used Z10 and then sell my iPhone5. Well that didn't happen even though I had the money 3 times over to buy that Z10. Instead the iPhone won me over :heart: And oh yes I REALLY miss the battery pulls and spinning hour glass :tongue: I hope you stay here :biggrin:
haha I know what you mean about the battery pulls, though I never really had to deal with the hour glass(my sister did and still does to this day on her 9900). However the BB10 devices I owned were great. I am getting used to iOS , the keyboard is still a pain in the *** but what are you gonna do, right?
I recently got a case for it, it's pretty sweet. I'll upload a picture of it =D

Chrysalis1156

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
First off Welcome to iMore lgfaver :biggrin: Here I am 9 months later after being a blackberry user forever. I only took the iPhone5 on a new contract because my carrier supposedly wasn't getting the Z10. I had myself convinced that I would save up and buy a used Z10 and then sell my iPhone5. Well that didn't happen even though I had the money 3 times over to buy that Z10. Instead the iPhone won me over :heart: And oh yes I REALLY miss the battery pulls and spinning hour glass :tongue: I hope you stay here :biggrin:

Same here. On a Sprint family plan when my 9930 decided it no longer cared to boot up (after one of those cathartic battery pulls ;)). No Z10 offered & the Q10 would be available at a future date. I felt very overwhelmed when I realized I would have to choose something other than a Blackberry. Took a few days to get used to the home button and to figure out where everything was but before I knew it I was hooked. Love my beautiful iPhone 5 & could kick myself for not listening to all my kids and grandkids - would've had one sooner. Better late than never I guess. :)

lgfaver

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Same here. On a Sprint family plan when my 9930 decided it no longer cared to boot up (after one of those cathartic battery pulls ;)). No Z10 offered & the Q10 would be available at a future date. I felt very overwhelmed when I realized I would have to choose something other than a Blackberry. Took a few days to get used to the home button and to figure out where everything was but before I knew it I was hooked. Love my beautiful iPhone 5 & could kick myself for not listening to all my kids and grandkids - would've had one sooner. Better late than never I guess. :)

I basically was faced with the same dilemma(choosing a different platform), however my situation was bit different. I didn't HAVE to, I chose to switch mainly because I wanted to try something new. Again, I hated the fact that my phone would not be anything different from what everyone already had but hey, I said why not?
Is the iPhone perfect? no but the device and OS shines precisely in the areas BB10 was lacking. It is what it is.

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I came from blackberry and really didn't want to give it up.

I am huge on productivity and efficiencies and I have to say, blackberry has it all. But, the software just doesn't match iOS.

I know everything you need is built into bb10 (sharing, social media, Evernote ect) but the it just isn't smooth. It is at first but that "smoothness" wears down it seems.

I honestly believe how "restricted" iOS is in allowing 3rd party apps helps its OS remain stable and glitch free.

I of course miss my keyboard and instant actions and just the "feel" of it. But the screen real estate is amazing.

The mapping, Siri are just top notch.

I really really really wanted to stick with blackberry and at times I miss my 9700. But it just can't meet "today's" expectations. Unfortunately

lgfaver

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I came from blackberry and really didn't want to give it up.

I am huge on productivity and efficiencies and I have to say, blackberry has it all. But, the software just doesn't match iOS.

I know everything you need is built into bb10 (sharing, social media, Evernote ect) but the it just isn't smooth. It is at first but that "smoothness" wears down it seems.

I honestly believe how "restricted" iOS is in allowing 3rd party apps helps its OS remain stable and glitch free.

I of course miss my keyboard and instant actions and just the "feel" of it. But the screen real estate is amazing.

The mapping, Siri are just top notch.

I really really really wanted to stick with blackberry and at times I miss my 9700. But it just can't meet "today's" expectations. Unfortunately

perhaps I'd appreciate iOS more(that I already do) if I had come straight from a legacy blackberry device. but I did give BB10 a try.

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I think a lot of the options in newer bb10 os's should have been in the initial release. I think that really hurt them.

Xx BEN xX

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I think a lot of the options in newer bb10 os's should have been in the initial release. I think that really hurt them.

That... And the fact that the bb10 launch was postponed by 5 months and missed their initial Christmas season launch really hurt them also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darthstorm528

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on your new iPhone. I was once a die-hard Blackberry fan and thought no platform would win me over except Blackberry, even the HTC hero and HTC EVO couldn't win me over (Though, the phones and Android platform was great) but the features, BBM which most of my family was on at the time, and emails on Blackberry were simple and never failed except for those battery pulls. Then came 2 years ago when I went iPhone, I never thought I would love a platform more than Blackberry until I got into iOS, the apps and everything ran more smoothly, no freezes, no battery pull. It was simple. I made one attempt to go back to Blackberry last year but I wasn't feeling it anymore and I lasted almost 2 weeks, I may go play with a BB10 in the future since I never got to experience it yet since the last BB OS was 6.

Other than that, I'm currently on the iPhone5 and fully on the apple ecosystem now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

WhiteSpir1t

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Let's be fair. Don't compare BBOS10 to the current iPhone. We all know where they're at. They can't even lift BBM off the ground.

Let's move the the competition back to 2010 when iOS 4 just came out--it had no ecosystem, no iMessage and no iCloud. Then, could we make a fair comparison.

See? BlackBerry 10 looks good again :)

Posted via BlackBerry Z10 <------just when they no longer have good jokes, they make a better one

wolfdale

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I am also a longtime BBRY to iPhone5 convert. Typing on glass is the biggest disadvantage that I have found. Human beings have the one of the most sensitive touch systems in the animal kingdom and we dumb it down by typing on glass. Maybe that's why BBRY is so attractive. To be fair, I have improved typing on the iPhone over a 6 month time. The notification LED I also miss but not as much as the keyboard. Everything else about the iPhone is better than BBRY in my opinion enough that I won't be going back. Good Luck to BBRY though.

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
@lgfaver - I remember watching your dilemma going back and forth in the CB Marketplace forums...glad to see you over here. My BB history includes 4 Curves, 3 Bolds, 2 Torches, and a PlayBook. I've played with BB10 at the ATT store, but never picked one up as a daily driver. I've also used android (gingerbread through Ice Cream Sandwich) and Windows Phone 7, 7.5, and 8.

iPhone 5 (imo) is the best overall package. Are there area where other phones do things better? Sure - you've mentioned a few (Bold keyboard, the notification light, Hub; I like how apps communicate with each other on Android, etc)

But as an overall package I think the iphone 5 just can't be beat. We could talk about apps and ecosystem, but personally the biggest plus for me is long term support. I bought an iphone 5 knowing that for the life of my two year contract, I'd have quality updates (pretty much guaranteed), and those updates would be timely and available right away (no waiting on ATT to drag their feet).

I gave serious thought to BB10, but their long term prospects just didn't instill that same confidence. Oh, and if I need service? Yes, there's an app for that too...can schedule an appointment at the apple store next town over. (granted not everyone lives that close to an apple store)

Also doesn't hurt that accessories are everywhere, and I do mean everywhere.

So really for me, the only thing that I had really missed from BB was BBM - still have some friends that are dedicated business users. And lo and behold, I've got BBM on my iphone 5...can't ask for too much more.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Let's be fair. Don't compare BBOS10 to the current iPhone. We all know where they're at. They can't even lift BBM off the ground.

Let's move the the competition back to 2010 when iOS 4 just came out--it had no ecosystem, no iMessage and no iCloud. Then, could we make a fair comparison.

See? BlackBerry 10 looks good again :)

Posted via BlackBerry Z10 <------just when they no longer have good jokes, they make a better one

That is and will always be Blackberry's achilles' heel...coming to the table with something that wows it's loyalists, but is really only relevant to products over a year old in product cycle life. Too little, too late as they say. The sad thing is, Blackberry had so much time to really make BB10 a true top tier OS in all aspects, but instead of starting development earlier, they just kept looking for an easier way out (even almost bailing on the development all together and looking to Android as an "out"...which, for all intents and purposes, might have been the right direction to go looking at their state now).

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
That is and will always be Blackberry's achilles' heel...coming to the table with something that wows it's loyalists, but is really only relevant to products over a year old in product cycle life. Too little, too late as they say. The sad thing is, Blackberry had so much time to really make BB10 a true top tier OS in all aspects, but instead of starting development earlier, they just kept looking for an easier way out (even almost bailing on the development all together and looking to Android as an "out"...which, for all intents and purposes, might have been the right direction to go looking at their state now).

It is really sad when you think about the blackberry story. I really like blackberry and I really would love to go to BlackBerry. However when the 2007 market and iPhone came out I was clearly against iPhone. In new that blackberry superior, however BlackBerry got to a point of pride it would seem, and failed to innovate failed to adapt and believe that they had the entire market (which they did). But when the going got tough they refused to change. In that let them down the downward spiral where they are at now.

I truly hope BlackBerry can turn their product around, because honestly I really enjoyed it and I think they have great innovative ideas now, but they need to be adapted to today's market.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Glad you gave the iPhone a chance. I am on the opposite opinion though on the hub. Things get lost quickly; especially when having a lot of emails. Where is the Sally messaging thread in the midst of 50 emails? Forget about it. Also, the notion that somehow the hub is great for messaging is not really true - the battery drain is horrendous. My iPhone 5 can do so many more text messages, emails, Facebook replies...and on and on without draining the battery nearly as much as the z10 did. Not to mention the apps I actually used on the z10 were Unoptimized and battery drainers. All in all, I'm glad to be rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Coming from a #BlackBerry4Lifer owning a Q10 for work and Z10 for personal use, let me recommend you give the iPhone time. I got a 5s at launch to replace my Z10 because it's just made sense. I have iPods, iPads, and. MacBook so with iTunes Match and the iCloud the iPhone is a no brainer. You will come to love this phone. While I miss the HUB like crazy, I do strongly feel you navigate quickly enough through iOS to make up for.

Sent from my iPhone 5s on Verizon from Philly.

redcon1

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I reluctantly gave up my BB when my 9810 Torch died 7 months ago now. I looked at the Z10 (Q10 wasn't available yet) but figured if I had to go to a touch keyboard, I might as well go iPhone. I agree with most of your assessment, the BB is a better business device in my mind but iPhone kills it as one device for everything, with all the cool apps, etc.

The one BIG thing I miss is how my BB handled email attachments... Excel spreadsheets, Word docs, etc. Detaching, working on them, filing in my folder structure, etc. on the BB OS was as seamless as my desktop. I find the iPhone enterprise experience to be clunky and nonproductive at times.

btw cool retro casette case... do they make it in black?

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome!! I know you will learn to love iOS and your 5.

I used blackberry for years starting with the curve, and even had the storm for a bit (well...4 because I kept having to return them due to them not working). I loved my curve...I felt it could do anything and was indestructible!! But then I found the iPhone and my views changed. I no longer had to wait for the spinning hourglass or do battery pulls (like others mentioned). I also found iOS is more user friendly, convenient, and easy to use. I remember being on the pone trying to troubleshoot a blackberry once, and all the settings and options I had to be walked through was awful!

Anyway...welcome!!!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner