Will buying an iphone 5 right now be a good decision?

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I had previously started a thread earlier this year, asking about whether I should get a Q10 or iphone 5. Eventually, I decided to wait until the new iphones came out. Now they are here, but in my country they wont be launched for another 4 weeks at least. When it is launched, it will be at a much higher price than the current top model. (we have no carrier contracts. we have to buy outright). I have also looked at android competitors like S4, HTC one, Xperia Z1 and LG G2. However, NONE of them gave me that same premium feel as the iphone 5 i tried out. :) The build quality and the sheer speed of everything blew me away. I am aware that androids offer the most cutting edge specs on all fronts, but I dont care much for spec sheets. I am after a quality user experience. I have an S2 (rooted and modded and rommed beyond recognition) and I am aware of its endless possibilities. But at the same time I am painfully aware of the stupendous amount of time I have had to spend in the past one year of ownership, just to get decent battery life and performance. Researching wakelocks, only to find that there is no solution to them.. Deleting all but the most important apps. Spending more time talking to other users on xda than my own family ;) This is what drove me towards iPhone. And now after that long winded speech, I ask you, good people, if iOS7 causes any problems on iPhone 5 in terms of lag, battery life issues, overheating etc? And whether, I should instead buy an iPhone 5s. Honestly, I dont need a fingerprint sensor or a dual flash. I think the iphone 5 camera is pretty good. One more thing I'd like to know is, if one can listen to music on an iphone 5 and not have the battery die too soon? I stopped listening to music on my S2 because music caused huge battery drain, so did gaming and videos. Your help is greatly appreciated. Have a good day all :)

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
That's the great thing about Apple products. They stay relevant for a long time. The iPhone 5 is my favorite phone. With iOS 7 it has become even better.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I rock a black 5, and I love it! Amazing device still....and I don't think Apple would have kept the internals of the 5 and placed then in a plastic back if it weren't still great!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 5 is a great phone. If you don't need or feel that the new features of the 5S are worth the extra $$$ then you can't go wrong with the 5. I came back to the iPhone a few weeks ago after using a few of the other operating systems and I picked up an iPhone 5 instead of the 5S since I had to pay full price. I love my iPhone 5 and other than a few minor issues with iOS 7 it runs great. The minor issues will be worked out in the next couple updates I'm sure. You can get some great deals on the 5 now if you look around and take your time.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Heeyyy.....I remember obsessing over wakelocks with my GS2 as well. Man, that battery sucked. It was either 'make using GPS worthless' or 'bye bye battery life!' Thanks for dredging up the repressed memories! :laughing:

The great thing about an iPhone is, you don't have to worry about that crap any longer! I quickly got over my need to 'customize' my phone once I got a phone that I didn't *have* to keep constantly fiddling with just to get a decent day's worth of battery life out of it!

As far as getting an iPhone 5, realize that it's basically the same hardware as the newly released iPhone 5C, except no pretty plastic cover. The 5C also has a *slightly* better facetime camera and battery, but everything else is exactly the same.

With that being said, my iPhone 5 runs like a champ with iOS7, and will likely run iOS8 just fine. If you don't need to have your iPhone in pretty colors, then an iPhone 5 is still an excellent choice. I get excellent battery life once I turned off parallax and background sync with apps I don't care about syncing.

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Heeyyy.....I remember obsessing over wakelocks with my GS2 as well. Man, that battery sucked. It was either 'make using GPS worthless' or 'bye bye battery life!' Thanks for dredging up the repressed memories! :laughing:

The great thing about an iPhone is, you don't have to worry about that crap any longer! I quickly got over my need to 'customize' my phone once I got a phone that I didn't *have* to keep constantly fiddling with just to get a decent day's worth of battery life out of it!

As far as getting an iPhone 5, realize that it's basically the same hardware as the newly released iPhone 5C, except no pretty plastic cover. The 5C also has a *slightly* better facetime camera and battery, but everything else is exactly the same.

With that being said, my iPhone 5 runs like a champ with iOS7, and will likely run iOS8 just fine. If you don't need to have your iPhone in pretty colors, then an iPhone 5 is still an excellent choice. I get excellent battery life once I turned off parallax and background sync with apps I don't care about syncing.
Thanks for your comment. Nice to meet a fellow sufferer :) :p You are right. I literally had my GPS turned off during the entire year that I have had my s2. As you can imagine, google now wasnt much use since it needs to be aware of my location to be helpful. I am due to buy a new phone tomorrow. I am also looking at the Sony Xperia Z1 and LG G2 but I feel that iphone 5 white 16 GB will be the right device for me.....

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro