Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cwbcpa
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

18 Posts
    Global Posts
    602 Global Posts

Default if I buy an iPhone 5, what do I miss?

If I skip the newest iPhones (which I would buy on a contract) and just buy an iPhone 5 outright, what features do I miss?

I will be upgrading to OS7, too... of course.

This is what I think I know so far...
    [LIST][*]slightly less battery life on the 5 (right? and how much less?)[*]better camera on the 5s[*]finger print reader
    • processing horsepower is better on the 5s

Otherwise, are all of the other features the same? Meaning, is there anything that is disabled on the old iPhone 5?

Even though the 5s has more powerful internals, I don't really notice any lag in the old 5.

Default Re: if I buy an iPhone 5, what do I miss?

Other than a fingerprint scanner, a faster processor, slightly better cameras, you're not missing anything at all, in my opinion, especially in regard to the 5C. I don't mean to seem as if getting either is not worthwhile because they are, especially the 5S, but I wouldn't hesitate to get an iPhone 5 right now.
    iMore Beginner

66 Posts
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

I agree with him. The 5S is just a mild enhancement. The camera to be honest with you on the 5S and the 5 are still pretty similar. Most including myself use the camera to take on the go shots and could care less about the definition of images and pixels. As for a faster processor...well I don't think any of us will be playing a plethora of games on our devices so yeah that may be a non factor as well. Lastly for the fingerprint scanner...come on! Who really needs a fingerprint scanner on their device and for what? Are you accepting check payments using the Square app or are you a law enforcement official who will chase down criminals? Stick with the 5 and you will be fine bro.
    iMore Pro

627 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts

I happened to be coming back to iOS this week after using some of the other OS's and picked up the iPhone 5 on Ebay. If you are buying off contract and don't mind buying used, you can get some deals on Ebay or Craigslist. Just be careful obviously. I happened to get a brand new 5 still sealed in box for $500. I am very happy with it and will be good until the 6 or whatever comes next. The 5 runs iOS 7 perfectly.
    kataran likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

403 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,088 Global Posts

I don't think you're going to be getting less battery life in a 5...
    iMore Elite

2,237 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,862 Global Posts

Since I have both a 5 and 5s i can say you won't notice much in performance between the two. Neither lag.

The 5s is zippier in the camera app, editing video, or in loading an intense game. But that's about it.

This difference will get greater as time goes on and especially next year with iOS 8. But not right now. It's similar with iPad 3 vs 4 when the 4 came out. The 4 spanked the 3 in benchmarks but the actual experience was largely unchanged.

There's some comparison videos out where they're struggling to show the 5s as better performance. For now.