Why do we leave iOS?

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I can't tell you how many times I have abandoned my iPhone just to turn around and come back to it after a brief affair with other devices. I never leave my iPhone because of any particular issue. But for some reason, I periodically get the urge to stray and I soon regret it and come slumping back. I have noticed many others on the forum do the same. Any insights on why we do this to ourselves? Why do we leave when we know we will be coming back...soon?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iMore Forums mobile app

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I have an obsession with cell phones, so that's why I'm always jumping around different platforms. I sold my iPhone 5 about a month ago, got an S4 and will most likely get the 5s when it's released, just to end up getting a BB or something else a few months later.

It's a sickness really..lol. Although it does make me appreciate my iPhone more every time I come back to it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I can't tell you how many times I have abandoned my iPhone just to turn around and come back to it after a brief affair with other devices. I never leave my iPhone because of any particular issue. But for some reason, I periodically get the urge to stray and I soon regret it and come slumping back. I have noticed many others on the forum do the same. Any insights on why we do this to ourselves? Why do we leave when we know we will be coming back...soon?

The reasons for my 3 year long hiatus from iOS was due to lack of MMS, cut, copy & paste and the ability to download ringtones to customize my contacts with at the time. During my vacation I became a hardcore Android lover and the atypical Apple hater that we see today I admit to calling iPhone users iSheep and completely bashing my friends who used iPhones.

I think we leave because as humans we are curious by nature and when something becomes comfortable to us we feel the need to branch out even knowing that we most likely will come back to what we know. There's something about Android that is appealing with its openness, vast majority of customization options and the plethora of phones to choose from. Android is an enticing option for those who want change simply because of "boredom" but that quickly waxes poetic and we come running back after an abysmal experience with Android. Now I don't want to bash on people who choose Android cause they are picking an OS and device that meets their needs.

But from personal experience, I honestly believe the Android camp has a bunch of bullies, for instance today Rene posted a blog about the invite from Apple for the 5S event and of course some Android enthusiasts had to come over and post some very sarcastic and downright negative comments. On the flip I went to Android Central, read the article about the new Android version being announced. I perused the comments and I didn't see any users from iMore or Apple fan trolling the comments section. It seems to me that Android users have really low self esteem that they have to spend so much time trolling us iPhone users. That just shows me Apple is really doing something right cause everyone seems so threatened that they have to attack Apple every chance they get.

Sorry for the long post LOL but it just gets under my skin especially now that I've been brought back to the light.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

dannejanne

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
just to end up getting a BB or something else a few months later.

BB10 is excellent! I've owned a Z10 and it's way more fun to use than iOS with its swiping setup. The keyboard trumps the iPhone keyboard.

I'm a phone addict as well. In two years I've owned: HTC Desire Z, Sony Xperia Play, Nokia Lumia 800, Nokia N9, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, BlackBerry Z10, iPhone 5, Nokia N9 again to compliment my iPhone 5.

What will the next one be? Not sure. Pretty happy with my setup now. iPhone 5 as the most evolved ecosystem. Nokia N9 is the phone that is most fun to use of all. Don't have any thought about a new phone yet.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I can't say that I've actually left as I always keep my iPhones and use them with my T-Mobile PP account while I am testing out another device on my main AT&T line. After a few months I usually get bored with my iPhone and like to try one of the latest Android devices out. I end up coming right back to using my iPhone full time when I realize that I'm really not missing out on much.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I can't say that I've actually left as I always keep my iPhones and use them with my T-Mobile PP account while I am testing out another device on my main AT&T line. After a few months I usually get bored with my iPhone and like to try one of the latest Android devices out. I end up coming right back to using my iPhone full time when I realize that I'm really not missing out on much.

I agree that when going to another platform, I realize that I'm not missing much either. What's interesting is that I leave my iPhone because I'm curious about other devices. I leave those other devices because the experience is subpar compared to the iPhone.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I left out of being "bored". But I found the other options were too much work to use. I decided I would rather suffer the occasional boredom instead of dealing with all the other headaches of Android and Windows Phone.

I might pick up a Moto X as a secondary device but I never will go without an iOS device again.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

We? (laughing)....I'm just messin' witcha...:)....Some of us like to have the latest products, especially if that product has features we desire, and therefore, we rush to get it without thinking about the user experience after the thrill of having that new product wears off. That is when we realize that some of the desired features we craved are really just novelties or are impractical for daily use. After that, the little things take center stage, i.e., reliability, smoothness, app & hardware quality, etcetera, and makes us appreciate the iPhone that much more. At least that is *my* take on it...:)

Last edited:

yzjustdatguy

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I've always wanted an iPhone because it was a part of the Apple Culture I've come to know and love. Once I got my first iPhone I refused to chase after any other platform. I like the fact that the iPhone works. The software is optimized and if problems arise, Apple is pretty quick to jump on it. The advantage of having an iPhone is the OS and hardware are both made by Apple which is the main reason why Apple products work so effectively. I don't think I'll be leaving the iPhone anytime soon. I'm very happy with my 4S

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The only time in the last 5 or so years that I have even been close to thinking about leaving the iPhone was when the Lumia phones started popping up with the really awesome camera hardware/software, but even then, realizing I'd be using a Windows based phone, I couldn't get any further than just tinkering with it one day...iOS is my home.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have left and come back a few times, and it was always out of boredom...in a way I guess. I don't know, maybe it was just a case of "the grass is always greener" meaning I wanted and was intrigued by what I didn't have. I also wanted to test out some of the newer operating systems coming out or being updated, such as WP. In every case of me doing this, I have ALWAYS come back to the iPhone, and have had an iPhone in my pocket most of the time since about 2008.

Actually, the last time I tried out a different phone, I actually felt bad...like I was hurting my iPhone's feelings! Haha

HeLLb0y

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I get bored. My wife thinks I have a problem. ....I think my mom and dad do too. I leave iOS only to come back usually about 3 months later because it is not iOS. My whole way of thinking is that iOS is stable. Thats what I need on my phone. The stabililty factor. I know that I really dont have to worry when I have my iPhone. It just works. When I jump ship to see whats on the android side, its like i said, im back about 3 months later. I really hope they make a 4.5" to 5" screen. Thats the only reason why I leave really. that and and to see if android has gotten any smoother. Which it hasnt. So I find myself back. Now, Im alright with that.

iphonelvr

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I left and came back so many times I lost count. I leave out of boredom. And I'm thinking of doing it again but I'm very hesitant to do so because I know if I leave I'll wanna come back again. So why leave ? Lol I'm waiting on iOS 7 GM.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I know I originally strayed away because I was enticed with wanting to try something new. I had really no issues with ios prior, and still don't when I use my Ipad 4. I simply changed for changes sake, which was the wrong decision.

I don't even think android is a bad OS, it's actually pretty good or even great. It's just, for my uses I think ios has more be edits for me (great experience out of the box, no reason to flash, Rom root, jailbreak or whatever for it to do exactly what I want, I like that Apple puts a great emphasis on battery management and power consumption management, and I just find the little things like snapping, scrolling, and feel to be better on ios. Although android isn't terrible at this, just not as good as IOS. IMO of course. ..

Me sticking with android would just cause more headaches for me personally long term. I'd rather pay the price premium of apple products to not have that.

And that's why my nexus 7 is now on eBay and I'm going to pick up a iPhone 5s on Oct. 3rd when I can use a ATT NEXT upgrade.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I left and came back so many times I lost count. I leave out of boredom. And I'm thinking of doing it again but I'm very hesitant to do so because I know if I leave I'll wanna come back again. So why leave ? Lol I'm waiting on iOS 7 GM.

But why do you get bored with it? And is the boredom you experience worth the frustration you are sure to feel with another device?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
But why do you get bored with it? And is the boredom you experience worth the frustration you are sure to feel with another device?

Speaking from my perspective, because it's is rather simple compared to android, there's a greater chance that IOS can feel static and not as fresh after a while. Because android is super flexible and customizable, you get a bunch of different variables. But in doing so, you might like the stability

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

One great thing about android is the ability to make your phone into a completely new experience whenever you want.

Take this site for example... Beautiful Android Themes, Wallpapers, and Homescreens

I'll be honest and say it's a little harder to get bored on Android then it is on iOS when you look at all the things that can be done on it. Regardless of that though I always end up missing my iPhone lol.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I think for me, boredom occurs because my phone is my most cherished tangible asset. If it wasn't, I would simply use it for what it is designed to do. Text, place calls, search the web, take pics, use apps, etc. For me, the iphone takes all of those things and does them each exceptionally well...

...But when it does not stop there, and your phone becomes an obsession of sorts, you start looking for additional ways to set it apart from any other device. Or perhaps anyone 'else's' device as well. You begin to seek out ways to make it look different, work differently, perform unique tasks, etc. Those characteristics give you conversation points, bragging points, etc. It becomes more than your phone. It is your show pony. Your extension of you. And when that happens, for me, boredom can set in because once I have mastered my device in every way, and run out of ways to tinker with it......I am then left to simply 'use it'. For those who are content with simply 'using' their device...the iphone is to me, unmatched. Because it works so damn well in so many ways. But for those who are not, or cannot, be content at that point....they jump ship to fill those other needs.

Android gives some remedy to those needs with the countless customization opportunities and lets face it, a new device of some sort every 3 months. But, once the headaches begin to outweigh that quench of the boredom thirst, and we are left wanting to simply 'use' a solid device again....we come home.

Not sure if even an ounce of that makes sense as it is hard for me to describe lol

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711