Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SeanHRCC
  • 1 Post By SeanHRCC
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Default Huge spike in data usage on IPhone 5 Verizon

Unexplained huge jump in data usage with I-Phone 5

Tom Cozens Calculating status...
    Tom Cozens Sep 3, 2013 1:36 PM

Is anyone else having this problem? My data usage for the I Phone 5 I bought in January was about 0.4 GB/ month. Since the middle of last week I have used over 9 GB. I'm not a gamer, I'm not sending tons of video or photos, I'm not surfing the net, I'm your average baby boomer business person. It is as if my phone was high jacked. So far Verizon has been no help. In the span of a week I've had to bump up our shared account from 4 GB to 6 then 10 and now to 12. I have all the latest software so this seems unrelated to the earlier problems report in various blogs about the first I-phone 5's. I've now turned off cellular data to hopefully prevent the next tsunami of data usage. To me this sounds like either a hardware or software issue not actually usage.
    iMore Intermediate

Default Re: Huge spike in data usage on IPhone 5 Verizon

I would first go setting and look at the cellular usage log. If you are on a share plan this will pin point which device.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I had a spike last month but I came from the S4 to the iPhone 5. When I got my 5 last Monday I had used 1.2 gb in 4 days. So I went to the apple store and the checked out my phone. They said everything was working fine. I then called VZW and they looked into my line and said all my high data usage was when I had the S4. Hopefully everything gets back to normal this month. U should call VZW but first I would go to apple store and have them check ur phone out so when VZW says its ur phone u can tell them u have already got it checked out and has to be VZW.

Tapped out on my iPhone 5
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by TCozens View Post

Tom Cozens Calculating status...
    Tom Cozens Sep 3, 2013 1:36 PM

Is anyone else having this problem? My data usage for the I Phone 5 I bought in January was about 0.4 GB/ month. Since the middle of last week I have used over 9 GB. I'm not a gamer, I'm not sending tons of video or photos, I'm not surfing the net, I'm your average baby boomer business person. It is as if my phone was high jacked. So far Verizon has been no help. In the span of a week I've had to bump up our shared account from 4 GB to 6 then 10 and now to 12. I have all the latest software so this seems unrelated to the earlier problems report in various blogs about the first I-phone 5's. I've now turned off cellular data to hopefully prevent the next tsunami of data usage. To me this sounds like either a hardware or software issue not actually usage.
    My granddaughter was having a similar issue with her iPhone on VZW... her mom took it to the Apple store and they swapped it out on the spot. Seems that they've seen that a lot lately...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Thanked by:
    TCozens (09-03-2013)
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Nanite

It is my phone. I've got an appointment with apple tomorrow.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TCozens View Post
    This same issue was mentioned in this thread as well. (see post #16): Going to the Apple Store
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,948 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

This data usage spike is not exclusive to Verizon...this is a problem that all carriers have (and pretty much all phones using LTE). We've covered it a dozen times, but the carriers (from my point of view) simply do not understand how they should be assigning data usage (in relation to what the phone is actually using). The REAL problem is that they refuse to actively try to "fix" the problem, because the problem makes money for them.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    This data usage spike is not exclusive to Verizon...this is a problem that all carriers have (and pretty much all phones using LTE). We've covered it a dozen times, but the carriers (from my point of view) simply do not understand how they should be assigning data usage (in relation to what the phone is actually using). The REAL problem is that they refuse to actively try to "fix" the problem, because the problem makes money for them.
    While there are some iPhone 5 devices that exhibit the OP's situation more than others, I cannot disagree with your take on this, Sean. There is a certain "it can’t really be a problem because it’s making us lots of money" attitude of some providers/companies.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,948 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Certainly there are probably a handful of iPhones out there that exhibit some kind of weird issue that causes data leeching, but the other 99.9999% of the time, it's a problem with the way data is charged to the consumer...between me and my wife we have 4 iPhone's (I have a work and a personal and so does she)...when we went on vacation we left both work iPhones at home (powered down and data off redundantly just in case). When we came back, her iPhone had zero data usage registered for the time we were gone...but mine had about 300MB used...a few kb's here or there I would understand, maybe it was in a process while i shut it down or something and it completed before i finished (after documenting my data usage before shutting it down)...but 300MB? That's substantial.

When I called Verizon (the carrier for my work phone), they reflected to me that they had no idea what the problem was, and that my phone must have connected to the data network during our leave...when I explained that it was sitting on my bed powered down the entire time we were gone, the representative simply reverted to "We can credit your account for the usage..."

This crediting of accounts is a bandaid on a severely open wound...and as long as people keep accepting the credits as a "fix", they'll keep doing it without real solution.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    Jrome.brooks (09-04-2013)
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Certainly there are probably a handful of iPhones out there that exhibit some kind of weird issue that causes data leeching, but the other 99.9999% of the time, it's a problem with the way data is charged to the consumer...between me and my wife we have 4 iPhone's (I have a work and a personal and so does she)...when we went on vacation we left both work iPhones at home (powered down and data off redundantly just in case). When we came back, her iPhone had zero data usage registered for the time we were gone...but mine had about 300MB used...a few kb's here or there I would understand, maybe it was in a process while i shut it down or something and it completed before i finished (after documenting my data usage before shutting it down)...but 300MB? That's substantial.

When I called Verizon (the carrier for my work phone), they reflected to me that they had no idea what the problem was, and that my phone must have connected to the data network during our leave...when I explained that it was sitting on my bed powered down the entire time we were gone, the representative simply reverted to "We can credit your account for the usage..."

This crediting of accounts is a bandaid on a severely open wound...and as long as people keep accepting the credits as a "fix", they'll keep doing it without real solution.
    And the "credit solution" is only applied when a customer complains. It the customer doesn’t recognize excess data usage, or doesn’t contact their provider for a credit, it is simply more cash in the provider's pockets... your point is valid, and I recognize it as such.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

i jumped from 2.1 gb to 17 gb last month haha
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,161 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Nuf said.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace