Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

Default WIfe's 4S was broken today. Thinking about an Iphone 5, but hesitant given the 5S next month. HELP

My son dropped my wife's 4S today and it is completely destroyed...We were waiting for a 5S, but now we might have to just get a $98 Iphone 5 at Walmart instead.

She is currently on Sprint, but she is moving to AT&T where I'm currently at. SHe will sign a new 2 yr agreement. The question is, if we buy the Iphone 5 on Walmart and return it in 14 days, then do it again 14 days later, would we be able to get the Iphone 5S on AT&T since the NEW LINE was added today?

I guess I want know if you are able to return the phones within 14 days just to get a new 5S?

Please advise
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,394 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: WIfe's 4S was broken today. Thinking about an Iphone 5, but hesitant given the 5S next month. HE

Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    My son dropped my wife's 4S today and it is completely destroyed...We were waiting for a 5S, but now we might have to just get a $98 Iphone 5 at Walmart instead.

She is currently on Sprint, but she is moving to AT&T where I'm currently at. SHe will sign a new 2 yr agreement. The question is, if we buy the Iphone 5 on Walmart and return it in 14 days, then do it again 14 days later, would we be able to get the Iphone 5S on AT&T since the NEW LINE was added today?

I guess I want know if you are able to return the phones within 14 days just to get a new 5S?

Please advise
    It's very likely it will work. Walmart has a pretty loose return policy and if they give you any hassle and you keep complaining they will eventually relent.

That said the iPhone 5 is still a great device. If you wife like the iPhone I think she will still enjoy it and not feel like she is missing out on the new models.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

Default Re: WIfe's 4S was broken today. Thinking about an Iphone 5, but hesitant given the 5S next month. HE

I'm worried about the new AT&T line. If I do get her an Iphone 5 at the $98 (Walmart), and then return to walmart and then go to AT&T to get an Iphone 5S, will I lose the Initial Buyer discount for a 2 yr contract?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,227 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Be sure to ask about a restocking fee they may charge u.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Please advise
    Well, since you asked...

Am I the only one that sees a problem with the OP doing this? Apparently we are living in a time when the end justifies whatever means are necessary to get what you want. This is fraud, pure and simple. Taking advantage of a company's return policy (multiple times) to push you out to the day when you can buy the phone that you really want...

And the best part is the comment is that since WalMart has "a pretty loose return policy and if they give you any hassle and you keep complaining they will eventually relent."

Wow... SMH
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina

Global Posts
    11,512 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Am I the only one that sees a problem with the OP doing this? Apparently we are living in a time when the end justifies whatever means are necessary to get what you want. This is fraud, pure and simple. Taking advantage of a company's return policy (multiple times) to push you out to the day when you can buy the phone that you really want...
    You're not alone... and agree with the fraud observation.

I'll just stop now before I have to ban myself for being grossly uncivil.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Fausty82 and pr1nce like this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,153 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Please advise
    Setting aside my opinion on the ethical part of this procedure, yes, you can do it...if you return it within the 14 day period, you can cancel the line and it will be as if nothing was ever added. AT&T can refuse the return though for ANY blemish or missing piece of the device itself, so that would be important to keep in mind.

When the new iPhone comes out, you could simply do the same process again for signing a 2 year contract and getting the new line added.

AT&T also charges a $35 restocking fee for returns (regardless of where you purchased the device), unless the iPhone is unopened.

Lastly, just to add my opinion of this idea...these kinds of things are the reason why our carriers return policies are such crap, why there are so many rules and time limitations. So many people could really learn the value of patience...just sayin'.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

If our stupid American Carriers followed the European model this would not be an issue....I will pay for a non subsidised phone if the monthly bill is reduced accordingly....but then again..."WE" consumers are the unethical ones...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Setting aside my opinion on the ethical part of this procedure, yes, you can do it...if you return it within the 14 day period, you can cancel the line and it will be as if nothing was ever added. AT&T can refuse the return though for ANY blemish or missing piece of the device itself, so that would be important to keep in mind.

When the new iPhone comes out, you could simply do the same process again for signing a 2 year contract and getting the new line added.

AT&T also charges a $35 restocking fee for returns (regardless of where you purchased the device), unless the iPhone is unopened.

Lastly, just to add my opinion of this idea...these kinds of things are the reason why our carriers return policies are such crap, why there are so many rules and time limitations. So many people could really learn the value of patience...just sayin'.
    Micah Dawson likes this.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

Spare me the BS.....After everything I have been through with american carriers (yes they are the same, Verizon, AT&T and SPrint) you have the audacity to call me out on this? What a joke.....

Well, since you asked...

And the best part is the comment is that since WalMart has "a pretty loose return policy and if they give you any hassle and you keep complaining they will eventually relent."

Wow... SMH
    Micah Dawson likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Spare me the BS.....After everything I have been through with american carriers (yes they are the same, Verizon, AT&T and SPrint) you have the audacity to call me out on this? What a joke.....
    In a word, "yes".

Consider yourself called out. The domestic wireless carriers suck, no question. But they wrote the agreement. You agreed to it. Now you want to change the rules, and are resorting to fraud to get it done.

If you’re looking for a carrier with a reduced monthly rate when you pay full price for a phone, T-Mobile is it. But you still can’t get an iPhone 5s until Apple releases...

Just don’t shoot the messenger.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,153 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

If our stupid American Carriers followed the European model this would not be an issue....I will pay for a non subsidised phone if the monthly bill is reduced accordingly....but then again..."WE" consumers are the unethical ones...
    A person can always look throughout the world for something to justify their actions...whether it be ethical or not. It doesn't change the fact that you're ok with doing it, and to be honest, your defensive attitude towards people who call you out on it is a bit humorous. If you're ok with your choice, that's great...but when you preset it to a public forum, you're going to get judged...it's just the way it works. If you feel that stealing from your cable company is ok because of the atrocious rates they charge and the terrible service they provide is justified...that is fine, it doesn't make it any less unethical and it doesn't change the fact that it's fraudulent, and when you come to a forum and ask if you'll get away with it, you're naive if you think people will just rally behind you in support.

I think what you're doing is detrimental to me getting better service...and because of this, I find your choice distasteful. Don't want to hear that? Then go do what you do in private.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,227 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

If you didn't want our opinion why post a thread asking for it. Just saying...
    Fausty82 and kch50428 like this.
    iMore Intermediate

To be fair to the OP, he is not enquiring about the ethics of getting/returning the phone,
    (I also think it is unethical) and if you don't want to answer his question but instead discuss the ethics, then you should not respond to the post.
    I see a potential problem with the scenario as described. 9/10 is the announcement date for the new phone-it may not necessarily be available on that day and may be out past the 14 day return policy.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by jerome g View Post
    To be fair to the OP, he is not enquiring about the ethics of getting/returning the phone,
    (I also think it is unethical) and if you don't want to answer his question but instead discuss the ethics, then you should not respond to the post.
    I see a potential problem with the scenario as described. 9/10 is the announcement date for the new phone-it may not necessarily be available on that day and may be out past the 14 day return policy.
    The question is, if we buy the Iphone 5 on Walmart and return it in 14 days, then do it again 14 days later, would we be able to get the Iphone 5S on AT&T since the NEW LINE was added today?
    You missed the part where the OP asked about doing the purchase/return multiple times to "make it last" (my words) until the 5S is available.

And to be fair, he DID ask for our input... 'nuff said...
    iMore Intermediate

Default WIfe's 4S was broken today. Thinking about an Iphone 5, but hesitant given th...

You missed the part where the OP asked about doing the purchase/return multiple times to "make it last" (my words) until the 5S is available.

And to be fair, he DID ask for our input... 'nuff said...
    Sorry, I missed the part about "Do you think it would be ethical if I......."
    Was that the point of his post ?
    Some people want to put their 2cents in responding to some posts wasting the OP's time with answers/comments that they don't care about.

Also, how do we know the new one will be out in 28 days ?
    His "do it again in 14 days" is slightly ambiguous, I took it to mean that the second time he will get a 5s
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Default Re: WIfe's 4S was broken today. Thinking about an Iphone 5, but hesitant given th...

Look for a phone on craigslist to use for a few weeks and then get the 5s when it's released. The 5 is a great phone and other than the rumored fingerprint scanner and possible gold option the other internal upgrades are usually not something noticeable to most consumers. For the $98 price point and if I needed a phone asap I would probably just go with that and be happy with my purchase. I will also say that yes you can do what you asked, but don't forget to tack on possible restocking/non-refundable activation fees, I totally agree with the others that said this is just wrong. People like you are the reason trial periods went from 30 days to 14, etf went from $200 to $350 and the prices of service you're complaining about continue to climb. Go with a family plan to get more for your money or as also suggested pay for a phone outright and go with t-mobile or a prepaid service.
    It's better to be pissed off than pissed on

iPhone 5s 16 gb gold . iPad air 64 gb white/silver . iPad mini 16gb 4g black/slate . MacBook Pro 13" . ATV 3rd gen . iPod classic . iPod nano
    Fausty82 and kch50428 like this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,829 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Hmm why not buy a iPhone 5 for 98 and sell it before release day of 5s and buy a 5s full retail given it's still mint less than a month old I'm sure you will get 450 or more if you get it unlocked probably even around 550 then apply that towards your cost.

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    iMore Intermediate

Just buy one at full price at the apple store and bring it back before the 30 days and then go to another apple store buy it again at full price and return and get the 5s

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

...OR, just wait the 2 weeks. Is it really worth your time and stress that this scenario can possibly create?
    Heisenberg likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,153 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Default Re: WIfe's 4S was broken today. Thinking about an Iphone 5, but hesitant given th...

Sorry, I missed the part about "Do you think it would be ethical if I......."
    Was that the point of his post ?
    Some people want to put their 2cents in responding to some posts wasting the OP's time with answers/comments that they don't care about.

Also, how do we know the new one will be out in 28 days ?
    His "do it again in 14 days" is slightly ambiguous, I took it to mean that the second time he will get a 5s
    The point of his thread was to ask if he could get away with it...if a person came here and asked if they could get away with stealing a car and explained a pretty sure fire way to do it without getting caught, does he really need to spell out the question "Is it illegal?" in order to get responses to such? Of course the OP didn't ask what our opinions on the ethics of this decision were, he's planning to do it, so obviously he holds a different view of such...but the beauty of the public forum is that when you put something like this out in the open, people can give you their thoughts even if you didn't ask (because it's very relevant).

These kinds of decisions directly affect my service experience in several ways...so I'm going to voice my thoughts on the decision whether it's asked for or not.
    Thanked by:
    Fausty82 (08-29-2013)
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    628 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xlipstickandbruisesx View Post
    Look for a phone on craigslist to use for a few weeks and then get the 5s when it's released. The 5 is a great phone and other than the rumored fingerprint scanner and possible gold option the other internal upgrades are usually not something noticeable to most consumers. For the $98 price point and if I needed a phone asap I would probably just go with that and be happy with my purchase. I will also say that yes you can do what you asked, but don't forget to tack on possible restocking/non-refundable activation fees, I totally agree with the others that said this is just wrong. People like you are the reason trial periods went from 30 days to 14, etf went from $200 to $350 and the prices of service you're complaining about continue to climb. Go with a family plan to get more for your money or as also suggested pay for a phone outright and go with t-mobile or a prepaid service.
    +1 almost verbatim to what I was about to post.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    The point of his thread was to ask if he could get away with it...if a person came here and asked if they could get away with stealing a car and explained a pretty sure fire way to do it without getting caught, does he really need to spell out the question "Is it illegal?" in order to get responses to such? Of course the OP didn't ask what our opinions on the ethics of this decision were, he's planning to do it, so obviously he holds a different view of such...but the beauty of the public forum is that when you put something like this out in the open, people can give you their thoughts even if you didn't ask (because it's very relevant).

These kinds of decisions directly affect my service experience in several ways...so I'm going to voice my thoughts on the decision whether it's asked for or not.
    Of course you can reply with whatever response you wish to- but it is Not relevant to his intent on the post- which is my point. There are too many threads with replies that don't matter to the poster. It is a waste of time. You would also feel frustrated if you started a topic and the majority of replies are not addressing your point.
    I don't see that as the beauty of a public forum. I see it as waste of time posting a question. This is my point and as I said before, I also don't think it is ethical.
    Instead of everyone replying to a post like this with their opinion on someone else's actions, we can just make a sticky to cover all posts of questionable ethics-
    Start with the 10 commandments then add on as we go along-
    1) Don't buy a phone just to return it for an upgrade
    2) if you find an iphone return it to the Apple store
    Etc
    Then just refer to the sticky with the response

P.S. before replying to a questionable post- look at yourself in the mirror and ask if there are any issues you can fix in yourself prior to condemning others. I bet this will do more good for you than your post will change the mind of the OP
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Of course you can reply with whatever response you wish to- but it is Not relevant to his intent on the post- which is my point. There are too many threads with replies that don't matter to the poster. It is a waste of time. You would also feel frustrated if you started a topic and the majority of replies are not addressing your point.
    I don't see that as the beauty of a public forum. I see it as waste of time posting a question. This is my point and as I said before, I also don't think it is ethical.
    Instead of everyone replying to a post like this with their opinion on someone else's actions, we can just make a sticky to cover all posts of questionable ethics-
    Start with the 10 commandments then add on as we go along-
    1) Don't buy a phone just to return it for an upgrade
    2) if you find an iphone return it to the Apple store
    Etc
    Then just refer to the sticky with the response

P.S. before replying to a questionable post- look at yourself in the mirror and ask if there are any issues you can fix in yourself prior to condemning others. I bet this will do more good for you than your post will change the mind of the OP
    That is the beauty of a public forum. Everyone can add their perspective. For example, after the initial query has been answered, the thread continues... it even includes suggestions by some forum members about how to work around the initial issue (temporarily replacing a broken phone with a craigslist/eBay cheapie)... and other posters chiming in to suggest a "10 Commandments" thread... (did you see what just happened there?)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,679 Global Posts

wait. wait wait wait wait.

get the new phone! you'll hate yourself when it comes out

Global Posts
    3,480 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

It's been a real treat reading this asinine thread.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64GB
    Galaxy Note 3
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast