WIfe's 4S was broken today. Thinking about an Iphone 5, but hesitant given the 5S next month. HELP

crg28

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
My son dropped my wife's 4S today and it is completely destroyed...We were waiting for a 5S, but now we might have to just get a $98 Iphone 5 at Walmart instead.

She is currently on Sprint, but she is moving to AT&T where I'm currently at. SHe will sign a new 2 yr agreement. The question is, if we buy the Iphone 5 on Walmart and return it in 14 days, then do it again 14 days later, would we be able to get the Iphone 5S on AT&T since the NEW LINE was added today?

I guess I want know if you are able to return the phones within 14 days just to get a new 5S?

Please advise

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
My son dropped my wife's 4S today and it is completely destroyed...We were waiting for a 5S, but now we might have to just get a $98 Iphone 5 at Walmart instead.

She is currently on Sprint, but she is moving to AT&T where I'm currently at. SHe will sign a new 2 yr agreement. The question is, if we buy the Iphone 5 on Walmart and return it in 14 days, then do it again 14 days later, would we be able to get the Iphone 5S on AT&T since the NEW LINE was added today?

I guess I want know if you are able to return the phones within 14 days just to get a new 5S?

Please advise

It's very likely it will work. Walmart has a pretty loose return policy and if they give you any hassle and you keep complaining they will eventually relent.

That said the iPhone 5 is still a great device. If you wife like the iPhone I think she will still enjoy it and not feel like she is missing out on the new models.

crg28

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm worried about the new AT&T line. If I do get her an Iphone 5 at the $98 (Walmart), and then return to walmart and then go to AT&T to get an Iphone 5S, will I lose the Initial Buyer discount for a 2 yr contract?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Please advise

Well, since you asked...

Am I the only one that sees a problem with the OP doing this? Apparently we are living in a time when the end justifies whatever means are necessary to get what you want. This is fraud, pure and simple. Taking advantage of a company's return policy (multiple times) to push you out to the day when you can buy the phone that you really want...

And the best part is the comment is that since WalMart has "a pretty loose return policy and if they give you any hassle and you keep complaining they will eventually relent."

Wow... SMH

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one that sees a problem with the OP doing this? Apparently we are living in a time when the end justifies whatever means are necessary to get what you want. This is fraud, pure and simple. Taking advantage of a company's return policy (multiple times) to push you out to the day when you can buy the phone that you really want...
You're not alone... and agree with the fraud observation.

I'll just stop now before I have to ban myself for being grossly uncivil.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Please advise

Setting aside my opinion on the ethical part of this procedure, yes, you can do it...if you return it within the 14 day period, you can cancel the line and it will be as if nothing was ever added. AT&T can refuse the return though for ANY blemish or missing piece of the device itself, so that would be important to keep in mind.

When the new iPhone comes out, you could simply do the same process again for signing a 2 year contract and getting the new line added.

AT&T also charges a $35 restocking fee for returns (regardless of where you purchased the device), unless the iPhone is unopened.

Lastly, just to add my opinion of this idea...these kinds of things are the reason why our carriers return policies are such crap, why there are so many rules and time limitations. So many people could really learn the value of patience...just sayin'.

crg28

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
If our stupid American Carriers followed the European model this would not be an issue....I will pay for a non subsidised phone if the monthly bill is reduced accordingly....but then again..."WE" consumers are the unethical ones...

Setting aside my opinion on the ethical part of this procedure, yes, you can do it...if you return it within the 14 day period, you can cancel the line and it will be as if nothing was ever added. AT&T can refuse the return though for ANY blemish or missing piece of the device itself, so that would be important to keep in mind.

When the new iPhone comes out, you could simply do the same process again for signing a 2 year contract and getting the new line added.

AT&T also charges a $35 restocking fee for returns (regardless of where you purchased the device), unless the iPhone is unopened.

Lastly, just to add my opinion of this idea...these kinds of things are the reason why our carriers return policies are such crap, why there are so many rules and time limitations. So many people could really learn the value of patience...just sayin'.

crg28

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Spare me the BS.....After everything I have been through with american carriers (yes they are the same, Verizon, AT&T and SPrint) you have the audacity to call me out on this? What a joke.....

Well, since you asked...

And the best part is the comment is that since WalMart has "a pretty loose return policy and if they give you any hassle and you keep complaining they will eventually relent."

Wow... SMH

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Spare me the BS.....After everything I have been through with american carriers (yes they are the same, Verizon, AT&T and SPrint) you have the audacity to call me out on this? What a joke.....

In a word, "yes".

Consider yourself called out. The domestic wireless carriers suck, no question. But they wrote the agreement. You agreed to it. Now you want to change the rules, and are resorting to fraud to get it done.

If you’re looking for a carrier with a reduced monthly rate when you pay full price for a phone, T-Mobile is it. But you still can’t get an iPhone 5s until Apple releases...

Just don’t shoot the messenger.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If our stupid American Carriers followed the European model this would not be an issue....I will pay for a non subsidised phone if the monthly bill is reduced accordingly....but then again..."WE" consumers are the unethical ones...

A person can always look throughout the world for something to justify their actions...whether it be ethical or not. It doesn't change the fact that you're ok with doing it, and to be honest, your defensive attitude towards people who call you out on it is a bit humorous. If you're ok with your choice, that's great...but when you preset it to a public forum, you're going to get judged...it's just the way it works. If you feel that stealing from your cable company is ok because of the atrocious rates they charge and the terrible service they provide is justified...that is fine, it doesn't make it any less unethical and it doesn't change the fact that it's fraudulent, and when you come to a forum and ask if you'll get away with it, you're naive if you think people will just rally behind you in support.

I think what you're doing is detrimental to me getting better service...and because of this, I find your choice distasteful. Don't want to hear that? Then go do what you do in private.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site

If you didn't want our opinion why post a thread asking for it. Just saying...

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
To be fair to the OP, he is not enquiring about the ethics of getting/returning the phone,
(I also think it is unethical) and if you don't want to answer his question but instead discuss the ethics, then you should not respond to the post.
I see a potential problem with the scenario as described. 9/10 is the announcement date for the new phone-it may not necessarily be available on that day and may be out past the 14 day return policy.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
To be fair to the OP, he is not enquiring about the ethics of getting/returning the phone,
(I also think it is unethical) and if you don't want to answer his question but instead discuss the ethics, then you should not respond to the post.
I see a potential problem with the scenario as described. 9/10 is the announcement date for the new phone-it may not necessarily be available on that day and may be out past the 14 day return policy.

The question is, if we buy the Iphone 5 on Walmart and return it in 14 days, then do it again 14 days later, would we be able to get the Iphone 5S on AT&T since the NEW LINE was added today?

You missed the part where the OP asked about doing the purchase/return multiple times to "make it last" (my words) until the 5S is available.

And to be fair, he DID ask for our input... 'nuff said...

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
WIfe's 4S was broken today. Thinking about an Iphone 5, but hesitant given th...

You missed the part where the OP asked about doing the purchase/return multiple times to "make it last" (my words) until the 5S is available.

And to be fair, he DID ask for our input... 'nuff said...

Sorry, I missed the part about "Do you think it would be ethical if I......."
Was that the point of his post ?
Some people want to put their 2cents in responding to some posts wasting the OP's time with answers/comments that they don't care about.

Also, how do we know the new one will be out in 28 days ?
His "do it again in 14 days" is slightly ambiguous, I took it to mean that the second time he will get a 5s

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: WIfe's 4S was broken today. Thinking about an Iphone 5, but hesitant given th...

Look for a phone on craigslist to use for a few weeks and then get the 5s when it's released. The 5 is a great phone and other than the rumored fingerprint scanner and possible gold option the other internal upgrades are usually not something noticeable to most consumers. For the $98 price point and if I needed a phone asap I would probably just go with that and be happy with my purchase. I will also say that yes you can do what you asked, but don't forget to tack on possible restocking/non-refundable activation fees, I totally agree with the others that said this is just wrong. People like you are the reason trial periods went from 30 days to 14, etf went from $200 to $350 and the prices of service you're complaining about continue to climb. Go with a family plan to get more for your money or as also suggested pay for a phone outright and go with t-mobile or a prepaid service.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmm why not buy a iPhone 5 for 98 and sell it before release day of 5s and buy a 5s full retail given it's still mint less than a month old I'm sure you will get 450 or more if you get it unlocked probably even around 550 then apply that towards your cost.

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Just buy one at full price at the apple store and bring it back before the 30 days and then go to another apple store buy it again at full price and return and get the 5s

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: WIfe's 4S was broken today. Thinking about an Iphone 5, but hesitant given th...

Sorry, I missed the part about "Do you think it would be ethical if I......."
Was that the point of his post ?
Some people want to put their 2cents in responding to some posts wasting the OP's time with answers/comments that they don't care about.

Also, how do we know the new one will be out in 28 days ?
His "do it again in 14 days" is slightly ambiguous, I took it to mean that the second time he will get a 5s

The point of his thread was to ask if he could get away with it...if a person came here and asked if they could get away with stealing a car and explained a pretty sure fire way to do it without getting caught, does he really need to spell out the question "Is it illegal?" in order to get responses to such? Of course the OP didn't ask what our opinions on the ethics of this decision were, he's planning to do it, so obviously he holds a different view of such...but the beauty of the public forum is that when you put something like this out in the open, people can give you their thoughts even if you didn't ask (because it's very relevant).

These kinds of decisions directly affect my service experience in several ways...so I'm going to voice my thoughts on the decision whether it's asked for or not.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice