Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Banned

Default If i hand in a blocked iPhone 5 to the Apple store what will they do?

I recently found an iPhone 5 on the bus it's blocked and there is nothing I can do with it it's not even useful to me so I was thinking if I should just sell it for parts on eBay or return it to the Apple store but I'm just curious what will Apple do with the blocked iPhone and will I get anything in return?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,160 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: If i hand in a blocked iPhone 5 to the Apple store what will they do?

Quote Originally Posted by MrNazMan_97 View Post
    I recently found an iPhone 5 on the bus it's blocked and there is nothing I can do with it it's not even useful to me so I was thinking if I should just sell it for parts on eBay or return it to the Apple store but I'm just curious what will Apple do with the blocked iPhone and will I get anything in return?
    It's probably blocked because the person that lost it had it blocked by their carrier. The right thing to do is what you would want someone to do if you lost your device which would be either turn it into Apple or if there is a carrier logo on it turn it into the carrier. And why would you want something in return ??? Maybe consider it your good deed for the day !
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar (08-22-2013), JustMe'D (08-20-2013), pr1nce (08-20-2013)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Default Re: If i hand in a blocked iPhone 5 to the Apple store what will they do?

You'll get a thank you for turning in a stolen phone to Apple.

Were you expecting a reward? lol...then the whole world would steal these things and just turn them in for their own profit.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

Global Posts
    15,475 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Do the right thing.... And Thank You.
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

iMore Pro

iOS Version
    iOS 6

All i'll say is "karma is a witch" and "do unto others what you would want done to yourself" or something like that
    wendybeee likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    363 Global Posts

Did this guy seriously register to ask how to profit from a stolen iPhone as his first post? Wow.

For the record, finding a misplaced phone on a bus and keeping it with no attempt at finding the owner is the same as stealing.

Don't be a lowlife piece of garbage. Do the right thing and either try to find the owner (hopefully the owner put the phone into lost mode and provided a message to contact them), or maybe turn it into an Apple store and they can track the owner down.

If you are planning on just trying to profit from someone else's loss, then feel free to leave this site and never return, as you'll get no sympathy here.
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar (08-22-2013), cp7 (08-21-2013), Dennisgarcia (08-20-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts

Maybe it's just me and my old age, but the entitlement attitude some people show these days is worrisome. Maybe I should just quit my job, go on Social Security and live off of government food stamps. I'm entitled to that, right?

To the OP, as others have stated already, do the right thing and turn in the phone to Apple. Trying to profit on someone else's misfortune is just wrong.

Sent from somewhere
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Turn it in to Apple as this is the right thing to do. If you lost your phone, this is what you would hope the person who found it would be kind enough to do.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.
    pr1nce and wendybeee like this.

Global Posts
    19,272 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Paradocks View Post
    Maybe it's just me and my old age, but the entitlement attitude some people show these days is worrisome. Maybe I should just quit my job, go on Social Security and live off of government food stamps. I'm entitled to that, right?

To the OP, as others have stated already, do the right thing and turn in the phone to Apple. Trying to profit on someone else's misfortune is just wrong.

Sent from somewhere
    Nope. It is not you and your old age, my friend, and I agree with your comment regarding the "entitlement" attitude being worrisome, but don't get me started...lol
    pr1nce and wendybeee like this.

Global Posts
    3,340 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

What's your address? Going to call the police on you.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64GB
    Galaxy Note 3
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    Padron26 and wendybeee like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

I would say do the right thing & turn it in and ask for nothing. You will feel better about yourself after doing so.
    wendybeee likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

turn it in! my friend turned one in and they gave him a 10 gift card idk if he was lying he did turn it in
    wendybeee likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,039 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

I think since I have been on iMore I might have seen maybe 2-3 of these questions with the OP leaning your direction. We all know including you that the right thing to do is go to the closet place be it an Apple store, Your local police Dept or Carrier if you know it. It it powers on it will tell you. Take it and tell them you found it, Enough said and think of how you would have felt if this was your phone.
    Everyone on here knows the right thing to do except it seems you. No reward, No selling parts but just a big thank you and the knowledge to know you did the right thing.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

wendybeee likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,039 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    You'll get a thank you for turning in a stolen phone to Apple.

Were you expecting a reward? lol...then the whole world would steal these things and just turn them in for their own profit.
    Funny you said that Sean as I was just watching ABC Nightly News story being about pick pockets and when they go for smartphone which is the number 1 item they can get about $400.00 on the street and the people that buy them don't care. They get the use they can before it gets blocked so you know as well as anyone how big the is and why people like the OP even has to log in to ask such a thing. SMH
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

wendybeee likes this.

Global Posts
    5,565 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

The iOS 7 feature to not allowing a phone to be wiped without entering your iCloud password should be a big help with this. All you'll have to do is turn Find My iPhone on in the iCloud settings and your phone should be unusable and unwipeable by anyone else.
    wendybeee likes this.

Global Posts
    13,773 Global Posts
    iOS Version

So this is your first post! Really...do what's right and turn it in. What goes around comes around.
    wendybeee likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    738 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    What's your address? Going to call the police on you.
    Quote of the day especially coming from Heisenberg!

but seriously? first post as well? Wow
    cp7
    iMore Newbie

Mr. NazMan,

Did you really register on imore.com to ask a question about how to profit from someone's bad luck? Did you even try to locate the rightful owner of that iPhone 5?

Great 1st post, I am sure you are going to be a fine member on these forums.

Have a good day!
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar (08-22-2013)
    Chetan Takyar likes this.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    iOS Version

"Troll!"
    "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them".
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Someone should edit the first post to reflect reality...

"Hey guys, I stole an iPhone...can anyone tell me if I'll get in trouble if I sell it for parts on eBay or if they can trace it back to me through Apple? You think if I take it to Apple and tell them someone blocked my iPhone that they'll give me a replacement that I can sell and then do this all again next week? Thanks."
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Jaguarr40 and pr1nce like this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

What is this world coming to, where people don't care anymore and will try and profit from anyones misfortune. Like other's have said turn it in, you'll feel good about yourself, and hey you might get lucky and the owner of the phone could give you a reward for its return!
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

This has to be some coincidence, I just recently lost my iPhone. It was either on a bus or at the station
    iP5 64gb
    HP Elitebook 8760W Intel 2960xm, 256 gb ssd, 2-1tb hdds, 32gb ram, Nvidia 4000m
    HP Elitebook 8560W Intel 2760qm, 256 gb ssd, 32gb ram, Nvidia 2000m
    Surface Pro 128, 64gb Micro sd. 1tb Seagate Wireless plus.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    363 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Someone should edit the first post to reflect reality...

"Hey guys, I stole an iPhone...can anyone tell me if I'll get in trouble if I sell it for parts on eBay or if they can trace it back to me through Apple? You think if I take it to Apple and tell them someone blocked my iPhone that they'll give me a replacement that I can sell and then do this all again next week? Thanks."
    You raise a REALLY good point. For all we know, this guy just flat out *stole* the phone and now giving the "hey guys, I (air quotes) found (/air quotes) this phone just lying around in blocked mode, making it hard for me to sell it on the street. What can I do to still make a quick buck?"

What's most stunning is that they actually registered on an forum to get ideas how to offload the stolen goods like it's not even a big deal!

I almost think this is worthy of an IP check to see if we can track this guy down. Are the mods able to do something like this?
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

They would have to report this to law enforcement first then they would take the next step.

But you or anyone else can report this to the forum moderators

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk -
    iP5 64gb
    HP Elitebook 8760W Intel 2960xm, 256 gb ssd, 2-1tb hdds, 32gb ram, Nvidia 4000m
    HP Elitebook 8560W Intel 2760qm, 256 gb ssd, 32gb ram, Nvidia 2000m
    Surface Pro 128, 64gb Micro sd. 1tb Seagate Wireless plus.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

The beauty, I've found, with the iPhone (and really any modern smart phone) is the picture snapping ability it has after it's been stolen...Reddit is full of posts where people lost either their iPhone or iPad, and then the pictures that were taken afterwards (either of the person's face, or by ***** thieves who go out and start taking pictures with it after they've stolen it) is hilarious...and knowing that many times, it leads to an arrest and return of the goods, it's very satisfying too.

I don't know that this thread warrants a witch hunt like that, but the lack of replies combined with the subject matter certainly make it a sketchy situation.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast