Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    ShaneBunting's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

    Default How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    What kind of pros and cons are behind the black model? I've read of people complaining about the paint on it etc.

    And what do Apple mean by 'Slate'? Isn't it just anodised aluminium?
  2. #2  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    6,113 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,118 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    The parts under glass are jet black and shiny. The sides and most of the back are an anodized aluminum that to me appears to be a very dark matte gray.
    JustMe'D and ShaneBunting like this.
  3. #3  
    dannejanne's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,025 Global Posts

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    The only con is that the paint easily get marks on the bezel. In some time it will most likely have some small chrome dots around the bezel. You really have to be careful with it to not chip of the paint. Only applies to the bezels though.
  4. #4  
    rjkgr's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    i dont really like the black cus the paint chips on the side.
  5. #5  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    20,613 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,845 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by rjkgr View Post
    i dont really like the black cus the paint chips on the side.
    Does the paint not chip on the white iPhone 5 if the owner is not careful?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Does the paint not chip on the white iPhone 5 if the owner is not careful?
    I didn't think there was any coating on the sides of the white version. Isn't it pure silver of the base material being used?
  7. #7  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    20,613 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,845 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by finn5975 View Post
    I didn't think there was any coating on the sides of the white version. Isn't it pure silver of the base material being used?
    Oh heck, I don't know.......lol
    jmburke1982 and finn5975 like this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Oh heck, I don't know.......lol
    Lol I need to know these things. My black/slate 5 has the paint chipping on the sides that many have referenced. This despite my having used a case since day 1. I was hoping to avoid this by going with the white version of the 5S.
  9. #9  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    20,613 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,845 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by finn5975 View Post
    Lol I need to know these things. My black/slate 5 has the paint chipping on the sides that many have referenced. This despite my having used a case since day 1. I was hoping to avoid this by going with the white version of the 5S.
    I understand. Both devices are prone to chipping, but that also depends on the owner's handling of the device in most instances. Because of its color, damages to the black slate iPhone 5 will more than likely be more visible than that of the white slate model.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 08-20-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Thanked by:
    finn5975 (08-19-2013)
  10. #10  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    6,113 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,118 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    I got mine black on release day, don't use a case, and I just have slight scuffs where the beveled edges are. The areas of the anodized aluminum that are flat don't have any scuffs or chips. So yes the silver shows through slightly in a couple of places on those edges but it's not very noticeable to me at least.
  11. #11  
    dannejanne's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,025 Global Posts

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    Both devices are prone to chipping yes but on the black one it's like 1000% more apparent when it happens. Besides the 45 bezels are totally naked on the white one, which means no paint that can come lose there. Only the sides have this anodized light gray that almost looks like the aluminum bezels. Hence it will barely be visible when it chipps in contrast to the black iPhone which shows the marks very easily.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    I should clarify too for the OP and others that when I used the word 'chipping' I may have misled. I don't have dings, dents or chips per se. It's that the paint itself had rubbed off in areas on the sides of the phone. Not due to neglect. Must be due to removing and applying of cases or dust under the case?
    Thanked by:
    ShaneBunting (08-19-2013)
  13. #13  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    6,113 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,118 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by finn5975 View Post
    I should clarify too for the OP and others that when I used the word 'chipping' I may have misled. I don't have dings, dents or chips per se. It's that the paint itself had rubbed off in areas on the sides of the phone. Not due to neglect. Must be due to removing and applying of cases or dust under the case?
    It almost sounds like I have fewer places where the paint has rubbed off by not keeping it in a case.
  14. #14  
    dannejanne's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,025 Global Posts

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    It almost sounds like I have fewer places where the paint has rubbed off by not keeping it in a case.
    Totally possible. As I mentioned in another post somewhere here today a friend of mine had his iPhone is a case. When he took it out last week it was insanely scratched because the case had collected dust specks and grain of sand etc that was rubbing the phone all the time.
  15. #15  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    6,113 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,118 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by dannejanne View Post
    Totally possible. As I mentioned in another post somewhere here today a friend of mine had his iPhone is a case. When he took it out last week it was insanely scratched because the case had collected dust specks and grain of sand etc that was rubbing the phone all the time.
    That makes sense. Any dust or other stuff I get on my phone gets wiped off gently not trapped between the case and phone.
  16. #16  
    Padron26's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    Wonder what brand case that was, but then again it can probably happen with any brand.
  17. #17  

    Default

    I used a Ringke Slim case, bumper case, and Otterbox commuter. Never naked.


  18. #18  
    John Yester's Avatar

    Posts
    4,052 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,570 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    I have no issues with the black model.. other then the Otterbox case scratching it up...
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com


  19. #19  
    tigerinexile's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    365 Posts
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    My previous black iPhone 5 was scuffed up by a Speck case.

    My replacement black iPhone 5 got dings in it when I dropped it on pavement.

    My next iPhone is going to be white -- either the anodized gold or the naked silver. (But keeping the black one to use as my travelling abroad phone.)

    That said, the silver scuffs on the black iPhone 5 aren't awful -- I think they add character, more than anything else. But if you hate that sort of thing, go with the white one.
    jmburke1982 likes this.
  20. #20  
    dannejanne's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,025 Global Posts

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by finn5975 View Post
    I used a Ringke Slim case, bumper case, and Otterbox commuter. Never naked.
    Hmm that's pretty marked for being in a case. The black one is so sensitive.
  21. #21  
    sting7k's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,607 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,430 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.2

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    "How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?"

    It's black.
    SeanHRCC and jerryjin like this.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by dannejanne View Post
    Hmm that's pretty marked for being in a case. The black one is so sensitive.
    In fairness the the Ringke Slim case is open at the top and bottom so there was exposure, but that was only for several weeks. I wouldn't have expected that type of wear simply from going in and out of pants pockets. My wife's white iphone 5, which also has been in cases, is flawless.
  23. #23  
    swarlos's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,276 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,831 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.2

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by finn5975 View Post
    In fairness the the Ringke Slim case is open at the top and bottom so there was exposure, but that was only for several weeks. I wouldn't have expected that type of wear simply from going in and out of pants pockets. My wife's white iphone 5, which also has been in cases, is flawless.
    I think we should blame the Lannister's.
    Rjgjr#IM likes this.
  24. #24  
    fabio984's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    126 Posts
    Global Posts
    618 Global Posts

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    I describe my black Iphone 5 fragile. The white Iphone 5 has a silver bezel. And when scratches you can't almost see. The black turns silver...
    9630 > 9700 > 9800 + PB > 9810 + PB > 8700 + PB > 9900 + PB > iPhone 4s + iPad 2 > iPhone 5 + iPad 2 > iPhone 5S + iPad 2
  25. #25  
    Phaethonas's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

    Default Re: How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

    A bright beacon of certainty and reliance which resonates throughout its impromptu heuristic to break.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-22-2013, 06:08 AM
  2. T-mobile iPhone 5 Question
    By azopfi84 in forum iPhone 5
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 02:32 PM
  3. Iphone 5 Window suction cup mounts?
    By Danegre in forum Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-19-2013, 04:51 PM
  4. Bought an iPhone 5 from eBay!
    By ShaneBunting in forum iPhone 5
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-19-2013, 12:33 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2013, 09:04 AM

Posting Permissions