How would you describe your Black iPhone 5?

ShaneBunting

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
What kind of pros and cons are behind the black model? I've read of people complaining about the paint on it etc.

And what do Apple mean by 'Slate'? Isn't it just anodised aluminium?

dannejanne

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
The only con is that the paint easily get marks on the bezel. In some time it will most likely have some small chrome dots around the bezel. You really have to be careful with it to not chip of the paint. Only applies to the bezels though.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Oh heck, I don't know....:)...lol

Lol I need to know these things. My black/slate 5 has the paint chipping on the sides that many have referenced. This despite my having used a case since day 1. I was hoping to avoid this by going with the white version of the 5S.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Lol I need to know these things. My black/slate 5 has the paint chipping on the sides that many have referenced. This despite my having used a case since day 1. I was hoping to avoid this by going with the white version of the 5S.

I understand. Both devices are prone to chipping, but that also depends on the owner's handling of the device in most instances. Because of its color, damages to the black slate iPhone 5 will more than likely be more visible than that of the white slate model.

Last edited:

dannejanne

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Both devices are prone to chipping yes but on the black one it's like 1000% more apparent when it happens. Besides the 45? bezels are totally naked on the white one, which means no paint that can come lose there. Only the sides have this anodized light gray that almost looks like the aluminum bezels. Hence it will barely be visible when it chipps in contrast to the black iPhone which shows the marks very easily.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I should clarify too for the OP and others that when I used the word 'chipping' I may have misled. I don't have dings, dents or chips per se. It's that the paint itself had rubbed off in areas on the sides of the phone. Not due to neglect. Must be due to removing and applying of cases or dust under the case?

dannejanne

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
It almost sounds like I have fewer places where the paint has rubbed off by not keeping it in a case.

Totally possible. As I mentioned in another post somewhere here today a friend of mine had his iPhone is a case. When he took it out last week it was insanely scratched because the case had collected dust specks and grain of sand etc that was rubbing the phone all the time.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I used a Ringke Slim case, bumper case, and Otterbox commuter. Never naked.
atuze5av.jpg

arymesu7.jpg

jena5uza.jpg

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
My previous black iPhone 5 was scuffed up by a Speck case.

My replacement black iPhone 5 got dings in it when I dropped it on pavement.

My next iPhone is going to be white -- either the anodized gold or the naked silver. (But keeping the black one to use as my travelling abroad phone.)

That said, the silver scuffs on the black iPhone 5 aren't awful -- I think they add character, more than anything else. But if you hate that sort of thing, go with the white one.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Hmm that's pretty marked for being in a case. The black one is so sensitive.

In fairness the the Ringke Slim case is open at the top and bottom so there was exposure, but that was only for several weeks. I wouldn't have expected that type of wear simply from going in and out of pants pockets. My wife's white iphone 5, which also has been in cases, is flawless.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
In fairness the the Ringke Slim case is open at the top and bottom so there was exposure, but that was only for several weeks. I wouldn't have expected that type of wear simply from going in and out of pants pockets. My wife's white iphone 5, which also has been in cases, is flawless.

I think we should blame the Lannister's.

fabio984

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I describe my black Iphone 5 fragile. The white Iphone 5 has a silver bezel. And when scratches you can't almost see. The black turns silver... :(

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR