Is iPhone just a status symbol?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is iPhone just a status?

[NOTE]Everyone, please leave the personal attacks out and keep it on topic.[/NOTE]

Thank you. :)

wanted198

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

Do you own or use ANY Apple products? Are you just here to spew ordure? Upthread, you said you were going away from here... when will you live up to your word?

I came back.

Fausty82 you don't pay more than the top of the range android devices for an extremely basic phone just because it's made of metal and has no major build issues. WHy don't you buy this:

nokiaasha210-280613.jpg

A minimal fraction of the price.

Why would I buy an apple product. Mac or top of the line PC? No need to think about that.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

I came back.
minimal fraction of the price.

Why would I buy an apple product. Mac or top of the line PC? No need to think about that.

So you are willing to pay what you do for devices that:
- are proven not to hold near the resale value of the iphone
- unless a nexus device, are proven not to get timely updates
- unless a nexus device, very likely will lose OS support much MUCH sooner than an apple device
- have access to an App store that while superior in quantity, lacks overwhelmingly in the quality of its app offerings
- are astonishingly more prone to malware than an apple device
- while offering you more 'customization', take on increasing lag and force closes due to the mix match of 3rd party offerings
- build their appeal on gimmicks like smart stay, smart scroll, etc
- often times require so much tweaking just to have work at a somewhat optimum level....what others coin as customization...some refer to as pain in the ***
- have forums with threads that run 60+ daily just with people trying to figure out why such-and-such is not working

I could go on all day. But I don't have the time. I have to tweak a keyboard, adjust a font, move a widget, restore an app, change a launcher, flash a rom, and wave my hand for a screenshot. Oh, lol, no I don't. My phone runs at an optimum level without the need for all that b.s. And fancy that.....I still have money in my wallet...

Edit: With that Keith, I am finished. The next time I feel compelled to continue this level of conversation with a guy like this I will engage in a shouting match with my ceiling.

wanted198

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

So you are willing to pay what you do for devices that:
- are proven not to hold near the resale value of the iphone
- unless a nexus device, are proven not to get timely updates
- unless a nexus device, very likely will lose OS support much MUCH sooner than an apple device
- have access to an App store that while superior in quantity, lacks overwhelmingly in the quality of its app offerings
- are astonishingly more prone to malware than an apple device
- while offering you more 'customization', take on increasing lag and force closes due to the mix match of 3rd party offerings
- build their appeal on gimmicks like smart stay, smart scroll, etc
- often times require so much tweaking just to have work at a somewhat optimum level....what others coin as customization...some refer to as pain in the ***
- have forums with threads that run 60+ daily just with people trying to figure out why such-and-such is not working

I could go on all day. But I don't have the time. I have to tweak a keyboard, adjust a font, move a widget, restore an app, change a launcher, flash a rom, and wave my hand for a screenshot. Oh, lol, no I don't. My phone runs at an optimum level without the need for all that b.s. And fancy that.....I still have money in my wallet...

Edit: With that Keith, I am finished. The next time I feel compelled to continue this level of conversation with a guy like this I will engage in a shouting match with my ceiling.

And like I said: There is the Nokia Asha 210 for that and many other basic phones. No need to crank up to $650 just to have a piece of fruit on the back, is there?

Moderators getting on my back giving my fractions at every turn, kch how am I doing that really?

swarlos ofcourse it is, i am going to prove my point. That and a 2 day ban from crackberry - where else do I go?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

swarlos ofcourse it is, i am going to prove my point. That and a 2 day ban from crackberry - where else do I go?
Where do you go... You could share your "wisdom" in the comments at BGR... seems you'd fit right in there.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

EDIT: NEVERMIND...HE GONE!
EDIT: for the moment...

I have an honest question for you. Do you currently own an iphone? If yes, then you are a hypocrite...

However, if you do not, then I have the following questions

Why are you spending time on a forum for a product you do not own?
Why are you spending time on a forum for a product you do not intend to own?
Why are you so insecure that you asked others to change your mind on a topic?
Why do you care what others spend their money on?
Why do you care if others' perceptions of value differ from yours?
Why do you troll?

I think that about covers it for now. I hope that you get back with answers soon because the level of genius you bring to the forums is almost orgasmic. In the meantime, I will be over in my skag forum discussing the finer points of hallucinogens....

Last edited by a moderator:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

Different phones work for different people. iPhones DO have a lot going for them. They are easy to learn to use and certainly DO have a "just works" ability about them. App selection is also wonderful. (I enjoy this via my iPad). Android has the best specs and more ability to customize, BUT can be difficult for some to learn to use. They have all the big apps, BUT yes I would agree there is lots of junk in their store(the Apple store is not junk free either, same for the BB Store!). BB has my interface of choice, and is perhaps the most innovative (peek and flow, the Hub, etc). HOWEVER BB is in some serious trouble right now in the sales and market place acceptance departments. (at least in the US) BB App World while having some big name apps, does not really compete with the App Store and Google Play. Windows Phone, while not for me (I did not like the interface) does have some good features, like carrier price point and THE best cameras.

Different strokes for different folks!

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I would say yes, about 4 years ago or so though. But you have to consider also that most androids 4 or even 3 years ago really were crap. Or at least subpar compared to the iPhone. I think it was only around later 2010/2011 did android phones get to the point where you could make a argument for them over a iPhone. And jellybean really was a pivotal release for android. And IMO it's only after jelly bean came out did android become on par or as good as ios and iPhone.

Now a days you really should try out both OS's to see which appeals to you more. Ios and iPhone isn't the default answer anymore really.

Me personally, I went from a HTC Inspire to a iPhone 4 to a iPhone then back to android with a nexus 4 and now I'm saving for a iPhone 5s and am probaly not going to go back to android in the foreseeable future after that.

Not because android was super broken or anything, I just realized I didn't need all it did and I found it more of a headache than I want in my electronics.

Different strokes....

(Boy I hope all what I wrote didn't go to waste on the OP trolling everyone, lol)

wanted198

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

EDIT: NEVERMIND...HE GONE!
EDIT: for the moment...

I have an honest question for you. Do you currently own an iphone? If yes, then you are a hypocrite...

However, if you do not, then I have the following questions

Why are you spending time on a forum for a product you do not own?
Why are you spending time on a forum for a product you do not intend to own?
Why are you so insecure that you asked others to change your mind on a topic?
Why do you care what others spend their money on?
Why do you care if others' perceptions of value differ from yours?
Why do you troll?

I think that about covers it for now. I hope that you get back with answers soon because the level of genius you bring to the forums is almost orgasmic. In the meantime, I will be over in my skag forum discussing the finer points of hallucinogens....

I currently have no phone. I wanted to know what iphone is like. But it just looks like people are paying more than top range android devices for something that is locked down and not much can be done. People pay more for a flagship android because it has better software/hardware features. Why do you pay even more for something which has virtually nothing and is extremely simple? iphone should be in the budget range, with its secluded OS and small screen. I think people do it for the brand, and Im not one of the people who finds that impressive - the opposite.

I am getting board warnings at every turn and even a ban by moderators, although the people insulting me on this topic are being blanked from any staff punishment.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

I currently have no phone. I wanted to know what iphone is like. But it just looks like people are paying more than top range android devices for something that is locked down and not much can be done. People pay more for a flagship android because it has better software/hardware features. Why do you pay even more for something which has virtually nothing and is extremely simple? iphone should be in the budget range, with its secluded OS and small screen. I think people do it for the brand, and Im not one of the people who finds that impressive - the opposite.

I am getting board warnings at every turn and even a ban by moderators, although the people insulting me on this topic are being blanked from any staff punishment.

I respect your opinion. But I disagree.

Sent from my smoking hot, white, 64 GB iPhone 5.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like Android is for you. That's totally fine, and in my experience there's much to like. Android Central and XDA Developers have a wealth of info, resources, and guides should you choose to go the Root/Custom ROM path.

I, like others here, have used iOS, Android, BlackBerry/RIM, Windows Mobile...ultimately it comes down to what each of us value and perceive to be the best for us.

Reading the posts you've shared, it sounds like you may have a philosophical or perhaps even moral conundrum about how much Apple devices cost. I can appreciate that, and consider myself fortunate that I can afford them.

So, since you want to know what iPhone is like; you've seen some information here in this thread. I encourage you to research more. One thing I think may help is to build your own Features and Functions matrix. Put down all the smartphone features that are important to you, and then compare iOS and Android side by side. If Android has more features than iOS, and it costs less and meets your philosophical and moral requirements-then go for Android.

Last edited:

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Sounds to me like your just an Apple hater without even giving the iPhone a try.

I've had four "flagship" Android phones even with all their bells and whistles nothing could match the iPhone experience. I don't pay for a locked down phone that has "virtually nothing and extremely simple." If getting regular updates, much better battery life, not having to tweak and install apps just to get my phone to run correctly then I'll take "simple and nothing" all day.

Why don't you just admit to being the troll you are because obviously you don't want to listen to us.

How can you baulk at the type of responses you've received when you constantly bash Apple and the iPhone for no reason and with no apparent experience with the device? Seems like your just an Apple hater with absolutely no reason to hate them.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

My problem with you, well one of them, is that you seem to be quite an expert regarding a device you have never owned and an experience you have never had. With my extremely simple device which has virtually nothing, I can:
- text, make phone calls, and surf the internet
- use a top of the line camera that still bests many 'flagship' cameras despite being a year old
- access the highest quality apps from an app store that is still the leader
- enjoy a lag free experience where the operating system is a perfect mesh with the hardware
- use imessage to bypass character restrictions and message size limits
- use easily as a one handed device
- have more than respectable battery life without having to turn off all of the features (gimmicks) to do so
- enjoy exceptional build quality of my device without the common (pocket pressure cracks) of other popular handsets
- enjoy timely updates that I know my phone, as long as it is 3 years old or less, will get
- avoid having to deal with carrier bloatware, carrier branding, and manufacturer overlays
- actually have 64gb internal storage as an option in the states vs relying on sd cards

That is just off the top of my head. And more than enough for me to pay a premium price. I could get a cheaper android alternative. But why? Why sacrifice my experience for what I deem as an inferior device? Listen pal, if you think so-called customization makes a device superior then have at it. I could honestly not give a rats *** about changing my keyboard, adding a live wallpaper, or tweaking endless settings. I've been there and done that. And the ONLY reason I did all of that was because the phone was such a piece of sh@t out of the box that I had no choice BUT to tweak and play. To me, that is not an 'advantage'. That is a chore.

Are we clear? Perhaps Ich kann in Deutsch f?r Sie sprechen???

Last edited:

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've never used a phone to impress anyone. I simply don't care about that at all. I used Blackberrys for years because they worked for me at that time. I'm now using an iPhone 4S because it meets my needs and works perfectly for me. I suggest that you not worry about what device other people are using or how much they paid. Find a device that works for you and be happy with it. I hope you have a good day!