Is iPhone just a status symbol?

Ben_Trovato

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is iPhone just a status?

Regardless of what phone you choose in your day to day life, asking if a device is just a status should be the aim of the conversation. Accepting the paradigm that any device is a status symbol is living in a world where some people are better than others. I would encourage the OP to open their mind to a new paradigm, one where mobile devices are not seen as status symbols. However, being the world is still a free thinking society, if the OP feels their time is better spent asking internet forum communities if phones are status symbols, then by all means, carry on.

jamesedward318

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I as an iPhone user can totally understand the questioning of the OP. As a former Verizon sales rep I saw on any given day more iPhones were sold than any Android device. Why? Because it was and is a popular phone and most of the people that bought them were buying them because of their friends. Everyone from the age of seven to eighty seven are using iPhones. Mainly because the phone is easy to use and most people know someone that has the device so someone will teach them. On any given day you can stroll around your city, mall, park, sports arena or anywhere and see more iPhone users than Android. iPhone is the cool phone to have. It is hard to say that it is a status phone but then again it is hard to say that it isn't as well. I think if you took poll on the users and why they use the phone then you would get your answer. Until the answer resides in the mind of the user and the person who sees these devices being used all over the place.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

You get what you pay for. Same as everything else. When you buy a car, a house, jeans, whatever.

I disagree on the jeans part. There is no way that Hilfilger, etc, is so much better than Wrangler, Levi, or Lee, as to be triple the price.:)

mudbuny

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

I disagree on the jeans part. There is no way that Hilfilger, etc, is so much better than Wrangler, Levi, or Lee, as to be triple the price.:)

Yeah, I guess so. Just because something is more expensive doesn't mean it's better, but usually you do have to pay more to get better quality.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

Several years ago I toured a fruit and vegetable processing plant in Central America. Fascinating and educational. At the tour end, we saw a wall with labels for the various brands that the factory supplied. Same fruits and veggies came into the factory, and went out under different labels.

Perhaps the same could be said for how smartphones are manufactured and then branded and marketed?

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Several years ago I toured a fruit and vegetable processing plant in Central America. Fascinating and educational. At the tour end, we saw a wall with labels for the various brands that the factory supplied. Same fruits and veggies came into the factory, and went out under different labels.

Perhaps the same could be said for how smartphones are manufactured and ten branded and marketed?

Even if all smartphones were manufactured in the same plant, each is built to the designer's specs... specs for an Apple product are completely different from any of a number of Android phones or BlackBerry or Windows phones...

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Man why do I always come in on the tail ends of these threads?! 😫

Are all of these people in collusion with each other? They're like "ok wanted198 it's you're turn today to go to iMore and create a pointless thread asking why you should be convinced the iPhone is awesome. Make sure you get angry at their rational responses then don't reply anymore."

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Man why do I always come in on the tail ends of these threads?! 

Are all of these people in collusion with each other? They're like "ok wanted198 it's you're turn today to go to iMore and create a pointless thread asking why you should be convinced the iPhone is awesome. Make sure you get angry at their rational responses then don't reply anymore."

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

Better late than never...

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Man I love feeding trolls, the same way I love beating a dead horse! Fun Fun Fun!!!

Seriously though, I can see how the iPhone can be seen as a status symbol. It's a high end smartphone. iPhones definitely have a premium look and feel, (as do all Apple products). And as the OP stated, iOS is full of quality apps. iPhones are very popular & desirable, so yeah, I can see how it can be seen as a status symbol.

But to say it?s not worth the money and that you're only paying for the brand? well, for me Apple is a brand that provides great value for my money. More value than the competition that I?m willing to pay a premium for it, if I have to.

My top 3 reasons for owning an iPhone, and why I think it?s worth the money are:
1) You stated it earlier; iOS is full of quality apps.
2) Warranty & customer service: If anything happens to my iPhone while it?s in warranty (either standard 1yr, or 2 yr with Apple Care+) I set an appointment at the Genius Bar, walk into an Apple Store and they either fix it or replace it. 15 ? 20 minutes after walking into the store my problem is solved, I?m good to go.
3) Software updates- The iPhone 4, which came out over three years ago, will be running iOS 7 once it?s released. There are no other smartphones that get software updates as long as iPhones do.

So, for me it?s definitely worth it, and it?s more than just a status symbol (though I must admit, I do enjoy showing off my iPhone 5 with its magnificent 4 inch retina display, and gorgeous aluminum & glass back :cool: )

To the OP, what kind of value would Apple have to provide to you for it to be worth the money???

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

Even if all smartphones were manufactured in the same plant, each is built to the designer's specs... specs for an Apple product are completely different from any of a number of Android phones or BlackBerry or Windows phones...

Yes, I understand. An A6 does not equal a Snapdragon S4, etc, etc, etc.....My attempt at dry humor didn't work too well. :(

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

To answer the OP.

Yes, the iPhone is just a status symbol. That's why we're here posting all the time about the different apps, settings, etc. -- because we just feel better about ourselves for having an apple-shaped symbol on the backs of our phones.

cckgz4

May 11, 2011
Visit site

I think folks can treat it like it's a status, but it doesn't mean that it should affect your purchase decision. You buy what you want. I have a phone that's under 100.00 (before tax), brand new. It works for me and it is a great phone, minus a couple of things due to the OEM cutting out hardware to make it the price that it is. Be happy with YOUR decision, not what you think folks will like

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

guys and girls don't you think that we're giving too much importance to a post by a fandroid?

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site

For me my iPhone isn't a status object. It's my tool to get life done. People use different phones in different ways. For some am alarm clock on a flip phone is all some people need while others need something as useful as a tablet type of phone. It's all personal preference. Welcome to the forums. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2