Is iPhone just a status symbol?

wanted198

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I am being honest here, is iPhone just a status phone rather than something actually worth the money? I agree the app market is full of quality apps unlike android where people can put complete crap up, but I really don't think iPhone is worth the money and it's just paying for a brand. Anyone able to change my mind?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is iPhone just a status?

Anyone able to change my mind?

First, welcome to iMore. :) Secondly, I'm being honest here too, there are more than a number of threads on this same exact topic posted in this forum as well as others on here that you can read through to help with question. Thirdly, the iPhone is the best device for ME and I would never waste my time trying to convince someone else that it is right for them. IMHO, if you are old enough to own a smartphone, than you are old enough to try different brands and see for "yourself" which one is the right one for your needs.... Just my 2? worth.

mudbuny

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

You get what you pay for. Same as everything else. When you buy a car, a house, jeans, whatever.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

Definitely not. It's about making the choice of which device you want and need. If you want the best experience in the prettiest package, the iPhone will deliver that.

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

If you're a teenager, smartphones are status symbols. For all others, it compliments our life. Like states before, it all depends on needs.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

First, welcome to iMore. :) Secondly, I'm being honest here too, there are more than a number of threads on this same exact topic posted in this forum as well as others on here that you can read through to help with question. Thirdly, the iPhone is the best device for ME and I would never waste my time trying to convince someone else that it is right for them. IMHO, if you are old enough to own a smartphone, than you are old enough to try different brands and see for "yourself" which one is the right one for your needs.... Just my 2? worth.

'Nuff said. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to the iMore community, and thank you for posting your reply. At your convenience, please take a moment to review the Community Rules and Guidelines and don't hesitate to interact with the rest of the community. As for your question, Irish Rose summed it up perfectly. Enjoy the rest of your weekend...;)

Eric Ton

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

I am being honest here, is iPhone just a status phone rather than something actually worth the money? I agree the app market is full of quality apps unlike android where people can put complete crap up, but I really don't think iPhone is worth the money and it's just paying for a brand. Anyone able to change my mind?
One of the reasons I prefer iPhone over the other phones is because of they way it looks and its build quality. I can't stand the gaps and bulge that other phones have. I hate squeaky plastics. Apple's ecosystem is number 1 IMO. I like the consistent experience. I have an Apple TV in the house and everything just work together. But really if you are not picky on how the phone looks or how it feels then my points become a moot. I'm just one of those people who pay attention to little details.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

First of all, welcome to iMore! I'm not interested in changing your mind. I use whatever device works best for me. I don't care anything about status.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I'm not going to try and change your mind, because that is your opinion.

I will say, however, that I think your opinion is one of the dumbest things I've ever read, that I disagree 110% with your sentiment, and that "worth" can't be transmitted properly from person to person with any real relevance (because what I find value in may be totally opposite to what you do).

I didn't buy the iPhone because it's an Apple product, I buy the iPhone because it offers the features I need and like, the form and function I prefer in a smart phone and the working environment that i find optimal for my day to day smart phone needs and desires.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I will have to agree with the status statement. I think it is "cool" to own an iphone, more of a status thing for younger folks but there is some of that factor for adults also (whether they want to admit it or not). I'm not one of those to state " I just use the phone and like it for its functionality, reliability etc, though I do believe in all of those qualities also.
Apple products have that cool factor as did Steve Jobs and his innovations
The even "cooler" part of it is that it is an awesome phone, so you get the best of both worlds. Certainly, worth and value are subjective and, as stated above, there are multiple threads regarding that.
Just my 2 cents, we are all human and it feels good when others may regard us in a higher "status".

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Is iPhone just a status?

I join everyone else on welcoming you to the forum.
That said, a couple of things about your post caught my attention (Inhales): 1) Given the fact that you took the time to search for this (Apple lover) forum and sign up (it's also highly likely that is not the first time you've been around here) and then post your "iPhone is not worth it comment" so people would try to tell you otherwise, says that you are NOT even convinced of your own statement and 2) You already admitted to the AppStore having quality apps it also shows that maybe you've been thinking about getting an iPhone yourself (if you haven't yet).

I can somehow understand why you could think this is a "status phone" for I have met a lot of people that have one just to say "I bought it" and then have no idea of even the basic stuff to get the most out of their device (also makes me wonder, how old are you? 15?), but here in this forum and as time goes by most of us are interested in learning, discovering and sharing all the features that makes the iPhone an outstanding device that has become part of our daily life and yes, it also looks and feels good, it has a great built quality, we get both.

So cut the apparent "I don't give a crap about the iPhone" attitude and jump in already, chances are you won't look back, and if you do then, that's the whole idea of having variety in the market. (Exhales)

PS: Don't mean to be rude or offend anyone (OP) with this comment.

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

i guess the forums u were looking for is android central.
btw how can a thing be *status symbol* when it is priced at the same price at which many phones are being offered?

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

i guess the forums u were looking for is android central.
btw how can a thing be *status symbol* when it is priced at the same price at which many phones are being offered?

Price is not the only factor in making something a status symbol.
You can get a Honda Odyssey minivan for about the same price as a BMW 3
Series car- you tell me which one is more of a status symbol

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I’m sure that it is for some... and not for others... when you get to be my age, you just get what works for you and leave the status and drama behind...

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen