"OTHER data" on iPhone, what is it?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
ok everyone so i figured it out.. with out having to restore. apples answer for everything. was in the mall figured let me go in and ask.. they were zero help and then continued to tell me how android has the same problems when i didnt ask.. but back to the topic. i downloaded iFile to my macbook pro connected my phone and went browsing around the phone.. came across a movie in cloud access that was 6.1gigs... which i didnt record on the day it said. i deleted it gave it a second and BOOM.. dropped all he other data. its at 1.6 gigs but ill take that.... just thought id share a different solution than erasing everything over and over..

Apple suggests doing a restore in this scenario because it does in fact work to reduce the size of the "other" storage...it's a very simple and moderately quick process/solution for something that is so variable from person to person that it's not worth their time to sit and try to dissect your iPhone to give you specifics on what is causing the storage use. To add, Apple isn't going to suggest a 3rd party fix like iFile because they have their own native way of covering the bases in this kind of scenario...not sure what your "erasing everything over and over" comment is about though, a restore is really just a basic few clicks of the mouse effort.

I'd also like to add that i did an internet search for "delete other from iPhone storage", and the very first google search result is a thread on the Apple community website that both suggests restoring as an option AND iFile...perhaps taking a few seconds to search for yourself in the future would have been worth while.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
ok everyone so i figured it out.. with out having to restore. apples answer for everything. was in the mall figured let me go in and ask.. they were zero help and then continued to tell me how android has the same problems when i didnt ask.. but back to the topic. i downloaded iFile to my macbook pro connected my phone and went browsing around the phone.. came across a movie in cloud access that was 6.1gigs... which i didnt record on the day it said. i deleted it gave it a second and BOOM.. dropped all he other data. its at 1.6 gigs but ill take that.... just thought id share a different solution than erasing everything over and over..

I'm glad you got it figured out. Thanks for the update, and take care.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
i did research and i fixed it on my own with no help from u or apple thanks..

C'mon now. Various people here told you that "other" data could be any number of things which is true. There is no way for any of us to know exactly what without having access to your device and your data. People tried the best they could with the information they had and thankfully, you were persistent and got it taken care of. Find satisfaction in that...:).....Take care.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2