Little Rattle in iPhone

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I plopped my iPhone 5 on the couch next to me and heard a very slight rattle. When I held the phone up to my ear and tapped in the back near the camera, I could pick up a faint rattling sound. As a sanity check, I did the same with a coworker's 5 and heard the same thing. Is this normal?

ckillam3

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Re: Little Rattle

No, it is not. Have traced back your activities with the iPhone? Is there any visible damage to the exterior? This is my Quality background coming through.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

No, it is not. Have traced back your activities with the iPhone? Is there any visible damage to the exterior? This is my Quality background coming through.

lol...what?

Yes, actually, this IS normal (the most common source is said to be the camera itself) but it could be due to a few things. The camera, power button, loose fitting volume rocker or mute button, etc etc etc, none of which effect the performance of the phone.

If you look through threads going back to the original iPhone's, little rattles are normal. To be honest, you could probably go back and look at the history of ANY modern smart phone and find the same thing.

dustrho

May 10, 2012
Visit site

Mine does the exact same thing. Se with my manager and friends. It is supposedly the autofocus on these making the rattling sound. It's very annoying as well as the loud clicking sound coming from the home button.

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Mine has had a rattle since I got it in November. Hasn't gotten any worse over time and I've experienced no performance issues whatsoever. As Sean said, it's totally normal!!

Edit: The 5 on my second line has a rattle as well. No performance issues with that phone either.

Last edited:

Engire

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

lol...what?

Yes, actually, this IS normal (the most common source is said to be the camera itself) but it could be due to a few things. The camera, power button, loose fitting volume rocker or mute button, etc etc etc, none of which effect the performance of the phone.

If you look through threads going back to the original iPhone's, little rattles are normal. To be honest, you could probably go back and look at the history of ANY modern smart phone and find the same thing.

^ This ^

It seems to be commonly attributed to the auto-focus of the camera. My iphone 4 and my wife's iphone 4s as well as my BB Z10 all have the rattle. In fact the only phone I have that does not have a rattle is my BB 9930 but it is a point and shoot camera without auto-focus.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

I appreciate all the responses. Being new to the iPhone, I just want to make sure I'm not overreacting.

malt1977

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

I always thought it was the accelerometer...could be wrong, but mine does it anyway as do all the ones we sell.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I plopped my iPhone 5 on the couch next to me and heard a very slight rattle. When I held the phone up to my ear and tapped in the back near the camera, I could pick up a faint rattling sound. As a sanity check, I did the same with a coworker's 5 and heard the same thing. Is this normal?

Some iPhones rattle, some don't. This has been going on since at least the iPhone 4. My iPhone 4 had a rattle, my bro's iPhone 4 did not. Both went strong for 2 years. My iPhone 5 rattles.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Some iPhones rattle, some don't. This has been going on since at least the iPhone 4. My iPhone 4 had a rattle, my bro's iPhone 4 did not. Both went strong for 2 years. My iPhone 5 rattles.

That's disappointing to hear. I expect Apple would have better QC than this.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
That's disappointing to hear. I expect Apple would have better QC than this.

Its a moving part, and like i said before, if you check most smart phones with elaborate camera systems (or other moving internal pieces), you'll find the same thing. It's not just Apple, my brother's Galaxy S4 does the same thing. And to be honest, it's something you'd only hear when you put your ear up to it...who does that? Has your phone experienced performance issues because of it? We'll talk QC issues when the iPhone presents a legitimate issue that isn't a microscopic noise that people nit pick about.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I think Apple is still top notch when it comes to quality control.

This.

In all the apple products I've owned (not to mention at work all I've sold and activated ) I've only ever seen 3 with poor QC - one 4 bricked out of box (totally, completely unresponsive and dead, never seen anything like it), a 4S with a blown line on the display out of box (thank god I got the sim pulled so I could DOA it), and my personal 5 (first one I pulled had a misaligned screen display, you could rock the phone like a rocking chair, it was popped out that far on one corner ).

Worst QC I've ever experienced? BlackBerry. Bar none.

Tippy tapped from my iPhone 5, from me to you.

dannejanne

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
The little rattle sound has nothing to do with bad quality control. It's some autofocus part of the camera and basically every phone I've had has had this sound. Be it Android, WP or iPhone. Nothing to worry about. I usually hear it when I put down my phone with a bit of "force".

anon(5718668)

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue and took the phone into Apple in Bath and was told that the gyroscope was to blame.. It almost sounds like a small ball bearing..

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73