Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Jaguarr40
  • 5 Post By SeanHRCC
  • 1 Post By ruger141
  • 1 Post By kataran
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts

Default High Priority Sms Possible?

A few min ago an ambulance had to come for my grandfather. I sent a text out to my brothers to let them know but wanted to mark it urgent. There used to be an option on some phones to mark texts as high priority so the recipients would see a red urgent message. Is this even possible with apple? I have an iPhone 5 through Verizon, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    4,104 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Default Re: High Priority Sms Possible?

Sorry to hear about your father, hope everything works out with him. No option I know about on the native app
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts

Thanks. Huh that's odd maybe its just a BB and Android thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

I can't help, but I can also say I've never seen it as an option on Blackberry or Android, can you shed some light on that please?

Global Posts
    14,392 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1

Like rdiddy already said - not possible on the iPhone native app.
    ~JAG~
    Ambassador @ iMore

​In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

tuffy100 likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by malt1977 View Post
    I can't help, but I can also say I've never seen it as an option on Blackberry or Android, can you shed some light on that please?
    Never tried this on my Androids, but used to be able to do it on my blackberry. It appears it only works on the older blackberry models, the new ones seem to have lost this feature along the way. Just pulled this out of the BB Bold manual on their site:

Depending on your wireless service provider, the Priority field might not be available.

If you change the importance level for text messages, a high priority indicator High priority indicator or low priority indicator Low priority indicator appears on your BlackBerry smartphone beside every text message that you send. If the recipient's device model and messaging application supports importance levels for messages, the importance level will also be indicated to the recipient.

On the home screen, click the Text Messages icon.
    Press the Menu key > Options.
    To set the importance level for text messages, in the SMS Text section, change the Priority field.
    To set the importance level for text messages with an attachment, in the MMS section, in the Message Filtering section, change the Importance field.
    Press the Menu key > Save.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,951 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

In an urgent situation, wouldn't a phone call be a more appropriate way to handle notification of those who need to know and will probably want important details? Not to say you made the right or wrong choice with an SMS, but to me, the redundancy of an SMS would become frustrating in a situation where a rapid fire of questions would be present (such as a loved one going to the hospital).

I'm starting to realize now that I think I'm on the cusp of a generation that still appreciates the importance of phone calls...my younger sister wondered why I called her when we arrived in San Francisco recently on our vacation, and asked why I didn't just text her when we got there, it seemed odd to me, but it becomes clear that many people (especially younger people) almost see phone calls as a nuisance. Anti-social generation? Or just another step in the direction of getting "old" I suppose! LOL!
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

Global Posts
    14,392 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    In an urgent situation, wouldn't a phone call be a more appropriate way to handle notification of those who need to know and will probably want important details? Not to say you made the right or wrong choice with an SMS, but to me, the redundancy of an SMS would become frustrating in a situation where a rapid fire of questions would be present (such as a loved one going to the hospital).

I'm starting to realize now that I think I'm on the cusp of a generation that still appreciates the importance of phone calls...my younger sister wondered why I called her when we arrived in San Francisco recently on our vacation, and asked why I didn't just text her when we got there, it seemed odd to me, but it becomes clear that many people (especially younger people) almost see phone calls as a nuisance. Anti-social generation? Or just another step in the direction of getting "old" I suppose! LOL!
    Yes I hate to say it and would be certain others would too but you are right and with the OP -- no right or wrong on his part but texting seems to come first anymore before a phone call. At least it does not take 10 mins (Ex) and 6 SMS or iMessages as opposed to getting it all out in one quick phone call.
    ~JAG~
    Ambassador @ iMore

​In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Agree - a phone call would be more immediate... but I could also see where sending a text may work better as well. Depending on which family member I'm trying to get in touch with. If I try to text my mother, I won't hear back from her for another 6 months when she accidentally discovers it on her phone - whereas trying to call my sister is impossible because she never answers the phone, only communicates via text, haha. So yeah - it all depends!
    iPhone 5
    iPad Mini
    MacBook Pro
    Apple TV Gen. 4

Former Android fangirl gone to the dark side. Never going back!
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    618 Global Posts

A phone call for emergencies makes the most sense. If they are at work or in school class they may not be allowed to have a personal cell phone next to them either to respond to a text.

Regarding the emergency text, I remember the recipient could mark people high priority to affect their alerts. The iPhone puts mail from VIP as flagged. But the senders could choose to send a higher priority but it never showed on the receivers phone differently since I didn't choose to display priority flags in texts I received, and neither did friends I knew.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts

I'm the oldest of 11 freaking kids lol a text was my quickest way to let everyone know. Then later when I knew more about the situation I was glad to answer phone calls.
    My grandfather is going to be alright BTW, he just had a bad fall.

My proof lol.
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails High Priority Sms Possible?-uploadfromtaptalk1378361043883.jpg  
    jmburke1982 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post

Agreed, also if you send a mass text and they have their phone near by, they should be able to see it, so I don't know why it needs to be marked as urgent.
    If you need to get in touch with multiple people then at least one call could be made-maybe even to a landline-heaven forbid, and the they can pass on the info to others while you deal with the situation
    iMore Nanite

Hi,

High priority calls as well as SMS are possible in Android Check out this app - 'CallzApp'
    It is a great concept.

Raj

Quote Originally Posted by ruger141 View Post
    I'm the oldest of 11 freaking kids lol a text was my quickest way to let everyone know. Then later when I knew more about the situation I was glad to answer phone calls.

My proof lol.
    Nice family I'm sure no one is questioning your methods at all

iOS iMessage at least has the option to show when someone has read you message which is a feature I enjoy and used to catch the old I never saw your message story
    webOS for life

iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

kill them with kindness :-)
    iOS Gravity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    Nice family I'm sure no one is questioning your methods at all

iOS iMessage at least has the option to show when someone has read you message which is a feature I enjoy and used to catch the old I never saw your message story
    I seem to have experienced that too.
    T.
    Ambassador @ iMore

No, no, no. There's no such thing as cheap and cheerful. It's cheap and nasty & expensive and cheerful. - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ruger141 View Post

My proof lol.
    Good lord! I'm the oldest of 3 and my whole family loves the group text....none of them seem to know how to answer a phone anymore!

It actually freaks me out somtimes...I will call my parent's home phone (no answer), then my dad's cell (no answer), then my mom's cell (no answer), then my brother's phone to see if everything is ok (he lives at home...and no answer), then my sister to see if she's heard from them (no answer). Then I will get a text from one of my parents asking "what's up?". Drives me crazy!