Messages coming to 2 different iPhones

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi All, I'm having an issue the last couple days. It has me stumped!
My husband and I both have iPhone's. Mine is through Verizon and he just switched to AT&T and got a new iPhone. We both now have iPhone 5's.
Text messages seem to be going to both our phones????

From what I can tell it's only from friends that also have iPhone's if that means anything.

First thing I checked was under messages and made sure that we only had one phone number listed and we do.
I also checked Facetime and made sure we only had our own phone number listed on that also. That's set correct also.

Now we use the same Apple ID but that should not make a difference.

Anyone have any ideas on what else to check to look for.

Thanks

sterstar2000

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
The apple Id is the issue. It connects the tones as one too. I am sure that If you download an app on one you will see that it also downloads on the other.. The best solution is to get different apple id's and that will surely resolve the issue.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Is there an email address tied to your AppleID - like an iCloud address that is set up in iMessage on either or both phones as an additional address to send/receive from?

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
There is an email tied to the apple ID that is set up with iCloud. But I have iCloud off and I unchecked the email address on both devices. Only the one phone number is now checked on each iPhone.

I also have iTunes match off so downloads do not go to both devices.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you guys have one Apple ID together then there should be two different phone numbers
to choose from when in the iMessage settings.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The apple Id is the issue. It connects the tones as one too. I am sure that If you download an app on one you will see that it also downloads on the other.. The best solution is to get different apple id's and that will surely resolve the issue.

Not necessarily... a common AppleID can easily be used across multiple devices... the Messages app can get email addresses tied to it in addition to phone numbers... one of the points of iMessage is getting the same messages on all your devices - if you want to... or if you don't - you need to make sure there are no common email addresses set up in the Messages app.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There is an email tied to the apple ID that is set up with iCloud. But I have iCloud off and I unchecked the email address on both devices. Only the one phone number is now checked on each iPhone.

I also have iTunes match off so downloads do not go to both devices.

Try turning iMessage off on both phones, reboot them - then turn iMessage back on.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Def both are sharing the same iCloud .. Create a second iCloud for one of the phones .. But share the original Apple ID under the iTunes Store .. This way you don't have to pay for apps and music twice but yet everything else is separate

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Def both are sharing the same iCloud .. Create a second iCloud for one of the phones .. But share the original Apple ID under the iTunes Store .. This way you don't have to pay for apps and music twice but yet everything else is separate

This is exactly how I have it. 1 Apple ID for purchases, separate iCloud accounts/Apple IDs for everything else. Doing so provide a level of privacy but allows you to keep track of the purchases/downloads.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly how I have it. 1 Apple ID for purchases, separate iCloud accounts/Apple IDs for everything else. Doing so provide a level of privacy but allows you to keep track of the purchases/downloads.

Yup I think this had been discussed before ..Another good reason is iCloud backup 5gb don't Go far on 10 devices lol ..

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Must be a drag to be married and share things. :p

It was primarily set up that way in regard to my kids. My daughter will be 18 in a few months, and decided she didn't like having to go through me to make certain purchases. I took care of that by connecting her finances to her Apple ID and then told her she can buy whatever she like now that she'll be paying for it. Needless to say, she doesn't buy many games and apps....lol

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yup I think this had been discussed before ..Another good reason is iCloud backup 5gb don't Go far on 10 devices lol ..

It's not an issue at all in our regard...;)

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok I think I found the issue. I made sure both phones had only its own number and email attached to iMessage and iCloud. Then I thought I better check the ipad. Lo and behold it had all phone numbers and email address checked for iMessage and iCloud. Unchecked all of the. On the iPad and turned off iMessage and so far problem solved. Thanks for the help.