Let's be honest here guys? Is it still the greatest thing ever?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I beg to differ. There was no "hostility" displayed in this thread and it did not turn ugly, in my opinion. People stated some agreeing & disagreeing opinions as well debate the intent of the OP's thread and nothing more. A statement and a retort does not make a conversation in and of itself hostile or ugly.

I've been following this thread and agree with you here D that there hasn't been any hostility displayed in this thread. Seems like the discussion is going well thus far....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.

Last edited:

EarleD

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Arrogance comes more from Androiders who think they're the world's best coders because
they know how to load a ROM on their phone and overclock their processor which changes
nothing about the day-to-day performance of the device itself. You've customized your phone
to run a ROM that doesn't include some of the features the manufacturer intended to have
on there. Congratulations.

I never said I was a "android coder" because I could flash ROMs. That was all you. The Roms i did flash lost no functionality except maybe some fluff which I didnt need.
IF I needed these features I wouldnt have flashed it:) I never over clocked my phone but some people do, I never felt the need. If iOS users had the ability some would also.
Dont kid yourself...

This persons answer just helps me make my point. I never said android was better, but I guess you cant wait to say iOS is better.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I beg to differ. There was no "hostility" displayed in this thread and it did not turn ugly, in my opinion. People stated some agreeing & disagreeing opinions as well debate the intent of the OP's thread and nothing more. A statement and a retort does not make a conversation in and of itself hostile or ugly.
Agreed and as I posted to Sean agreeing with a very good retort to EarleD that he made, I was completely impressed with what Sean had to say to throw in my 2 cents about what he thought, where this thread was going and what has become of it, I see nothing wrong with people having differing points of views or why even have the forum to start with. We at Mobile Nations and I say MN and not iMore is because it is the company that pushes conversation across ALL of out forums, Not just one. A thread author is entitled to his or her opinion and where the posts go from there is up to each individual to keep it civil.

When it becomes out of hand the Mods know what to do to get it swinging back the way it should and not cut off conversation because one or two think is is trooling.

In the past Sean and I have not always agreed but never once - well once...LOL I might have called him out but he knows what he likes and thinks and for the most part has merit. Let he thread flow and let people offer their opinions without ridicule and if it gets out of hand it will be handled in a a proper manner. This is a valid thread of conversation that I appreciate being a part of.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Too many swings in this thread. From the wanna be troll, to the premature escalating, to group hugs.
Snippit:
Too many swings in this thread. From the wanna be troll, to the premature escalating, to group hugs.

I have to say I'm disappointed. I blame the troll though. I thought we had a good pinch hitter (or maybe runner) though but that kinda tanked quick.

I have to totally disagree and think this thread is going as expected. The way i have always looked at a thread is that if it bothers an individual that much, the best thing to do instead of stirring the pot is to just drop off of it, let it go and don't participate in it. That way there is nothing to disagree with taking the chance of causing further problems.:)

EarleD

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Agreed and as I posted to Sean agreeing with a very good retort to EarleD that he made, I was completely impressed with what Sean had to say to throw in my 2 cents about what he thought, where this thread was going and what has become of it, I see nothing wrong with people having differing points of views or why even have the forum to start with. We at Mobile Nations and I say MN and not iMore is because it is the company that pushes conversation across ALL of out forums, Not just one. A thread author is entitled to his or her opinion and where the posts go from there is up to each individual to keep it civil.

When it becomes out of hand the Mods know what to do to get it swinging back the way it should and not cut off conversation because one or two think is is trooling.

In the past Sean and I have not always agreed but never once - well once...LOL I might have called him out but he knows what he likes and thinks and for the most part has merit. Let he thread flow and let people offer their opinions without ridicule and if it gets out of hand it will be handled in a a proper manner. This is a valid thread of conversation that I appreciate being a part of.

Great post

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I never said I was a "android coder" because I could flash ROMs. That was all you. The Roms i did flash lost no functionality except maybe some fluff which I didnt need.
IF I needed these features I wouldnt have flashed it:) I never over clocked my phone but some people do, I never felt the need. If iOS users had the ability some would also.
Dont kid yourself...

This persons answer just helps me make my point. I never said android was better, but I guess you cant wait to say iOS is better.

I generalized just like you did. Ironic, huh?

EarleD

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Dont kid yourself...

Where did I generalize anything... I just answered your "try to stir the pot more" post

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I hear a lot of people still saying that the iPhone 5 is the best phone. Specwise....seriously? What are you Applers' opinions. Thanks!:thumbup::confused:

Getting back to the original question at hand here. My take on it is this; the iPhone 5 being 10 months old is still the best phone for "ME". The key word there being "me". I am not under any false assumptions that it's the best for everyone else. However, I have had my iPhone 5 since launch and it has served me very well so far. Did I try other Android devices in between? Absolutely! But it is the iPhone 5 that I keep coming back to. Spec wise, I don't think the iPhone 5 has to match up with all other newer devices out there. However, one of the nice things about it is that even though the iPhone 5 will soon be hitting the one year mark, it will still be getting the new big iOS 7 update....

So my question to you as the OP of this thread is; let's be honest here, how many of these new Android devices that just came out or that have been out as long as the iPhone 5 (not including real Google devices such as the Nexus line) can claim to be supported with the latest Android OS updates one year later? Hmmmm

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Your second post.
I am asking you in a friendly manner of fact well.... Let it go and don't stir the pot. This was my part of my post to Sean where I mentioned that when things get this way being a representative of Mobile Nations or just a member I get out which is what this post will do. I am out of here. Hope this stays civil and gets back on track. :)

Last edited:

grassyblue

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I love my iPhone, but I had the chance to play around with a Galaxy S4 and I think a 4.5 or 4.3 inch screen would be perfect. My only real complaint about the iPhone is the screen size.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I love my iPhone, but I had the chance to play around with a Galaxy S4 and I think a 4.5 or 4.3 inch screen would be perfect. My only real complaint about the iPhone is the screen size.
For years people complained that they wanted a bigger iPhone screen. So what does Apple do? They give the iPhone 5 a 4" screen. What do the people do now? They still complain that they want a bigger screen.... Seems like some people will never be happy no matter what Apple does.

Donnee

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
It's not the greatest thing ever, apple makes bigger things with bigger logos on so they must be better right???

On a slightly more serious note though, despite the specs there's nothing else out there at the moment that just works like an iPhone does. I get to play about with a load of devices at work (damn BYOD schemes) and the iPhones are a consistent experience every time. Yes it might not have a octocore super duper processor with 256gb ram and a small nuke plant to power it, but every one I pick up from a 4 to a 5 is exactly the same and runs pretty damn smooth. Android on the other hand depends what you get. If its a Samsung (galaxy, note etc) chances are it'll be good (I actually quite like the note 2's but they're far too big for my pockets). If its from one of the cheaper manufacturers however it can be a steaming pile of useless. Now I know that's not google/android's fault, its the manufacturers for cheaping out on the internals or not setting it up right, but they're still representing android at the end of the day.

I guess that's the big advantage apple has, because they control both iOS and the hardware it goes onto they can slim it down and optimise the hell out of it, where as Android has to be more one size fits all.

So is it the greatest thing ever? Probably not as there's still bacon in the world. Is it the best smartphone? Depends on personal taste. For me I'm waiting to see what the 5S and iOS 7 brings to the table, chances are I'll be picking one up but will see how it goes. In the mean time I'm just going to sit quietly in the corner with my Blackberry and try my best not to be seen with it

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
For years people complained that they wanted a bigger iPhone screen. So what does Apple do? They give the iPhone 5 a 4" screen. What do the people do now? They still complain that they want a bigger screen.... Seems like some people will never be happy no matter what Apple does.
I think the major complaint with the screen size is this, Most of the competing phones have 4.3 all the way to a 5 inch screen. Apples jump from a 3.5 to a 4 was only in length not width. It isn't very often I myself see anyone using their phone in landscape mode. The screen size was a major factor along with battery life when i was deciding on which device i wanted to get. As for people fighting about which device is best... none of them are, because the second you pull it out of the box its already outdated..

jf1450

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
I think y'all are just sufferin withdrawal cuz Apple typically makes announcements about upcoming announcements bout now and we haven't heard squat. :)

Jeff

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I personally think Blackberry 10 is the fastest os out there. Plus, it gets stuff done faster than any other phone.

Oh it's great.

Until BBs legendary lack of quality control has your phone fail three months in, during an emergency no less, and BBs lack of customer service doesn't fix it.

Hence why I'm back on iPhone. Found out yesterday an EMT friend of mine who also has a Z10 came upon an accident, and his Z10 surely got one thing done faster than any other phone (as you say) - he dialed 9-1-...- and then the Z10 quickly and efficiently rebooted and froze up, refusing to reboot. Luckily his girlfriends iPhone 4S worked to quickly, efficiently and RELIABLY call in the accident scene.

Last edited:

fridayxiii

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Is the iPhone 5 the best out there? That's pretty subjective, especially depending upon your criteria. Handset specs, camera quality, OS ease-of-use/stability/speed/fluidity, screen size, quality & quantify of third party apps available, yada yada yada.

By & large the iPhone is the measuring stick against which all other smartphones are compared. The iPhone's market saturation, wild popularity, and religious-like devotion by users are what every other manufacturer dreams of. Apple sets the bar all others try to reach, or exceed. So, I guess that yeah, I'd say it's the best.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Apple is coasting a bit just now, but they'll introduce the next innovations in good time.

It's the best phone for me, and I don't get nearly as good a user experience with the other operating systems.

If you like it, buy it. If not, don't. Apple charges premium prices for a premium product.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77