how many times have you dropped your 5??

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Since I got this replacement in early June, I'd say like 5 or 6 times. It's pretty noticeable
with the nicks. And the top right of my screen is kinda coming out of the bezel. You can
hear a click. I'd rather destroy this thing to pieces to get a replacement from AC+

BlaineP

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I have dropped mine once when getting out of my truck. Had otterbox case on it so no problems.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Donnee

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Beware the apple insiders!!!

- My iPhones not working
Have you dropped this phone sir/ma'am?
- No
Aha! Your post on iMore says otherwise!!!

But seriously though, I don't have a 5, my 4s got bounced once and died 6 months into a 24 month contract hence why I'm currently rocking a blackberry

aera

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
3-4 times.

But mostly in a case..

Up until a few weeks ago, I finally dumped my Otterbox case as it was causing more damage inside....(Long story)

Anyways. Rolling Naked a few times a week and no issues..Now using a Speck when I am at work.

But honestly it's holding up well..

I fully understand this statement. Friend of mine is has been using an otterbox since launch. He took it out the other day and it has more scratches and paint chips on it than my naked 5. We quickly diagnosed that the case leaves too much room around the phone and it slides around in the case a good bit. Once dust and particals get in there and the phone gets to sliding around its like sandpaper to the paint.

As for the question. A few times but only on carpet from waist-ish level. Missing my pocket on re entry or fumbling it upon exiting pocket. No case on it ever.

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought a Otterbox Defender case, and I must say that I do like the feel of it in my hand, also like the holster, was wondering, where you are saying damage was done, do you think it would help any to put a screen protector on the rear of the phone also? I currently have a thin adhesive protector on the front, but am considering a rear one.. do you think that would help? or was the damage more on the sides and beveled edges? Thanks!

RescueEMT911

aera

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought a Otterbox Defender case, and I must say that I do like the feel of it in my hand, also like the holster, was wondering, where you are saying damage was done, do you think it would help any to put a screen protector on the rear of the phone also? I currently have a thin adhesive protector on the front, but am considering a rear one.. do you think that would help? or was the damage more on the sides and beveled edges? Thanks!

RescueEMT911

The damage on his phone was both on the back and sides. So a rear protector would help but you may run into some issues if installing it. The plastic may not fully lock around the phone due to the front and rear protectors.

Chris Kerrigan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Fortunately I haven't dropped mine in several months of ownership thus far other than a couple of times around the house on the carpet or something. I do however have a friend who just recently purchased an iPhone 5 and got a Lifeproof case with it, and it's quite amusing taking her phone and throwing it against a wall just so I can watch her temporary look of horror. I'm going to hell... :devil:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
going to a concert tonight. there will be heavy drinking involved and i hope i do not encounter my first drop

now, some of you might say "BLiNK, maybe you should put a case on it.. just for tonight"

i say rubbish! #YOLO

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
going to a concert tonight. there will be heavy drinking involved and i hope i do not encounter my first drop

now, some of you might say "BLiNK, maybe you should put a case on it.. just for tonight"

i say rubbish! #YOLO

I would tell you to rock it as-is while rocking the concert, my friend...:)....Have fun and enjoy yourself...;)

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

i say rubbish! #YOLO

for concerts, beach and other activities I use a thicker rubber case just to be sure, otherwise I use a ultra slim Incipio case, hate those huge Otterbox cases with a passion...

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
that would drive me crazy. i'd have the screen replaced like - THE NEXT DAY

hahaha..I'm the same way...even when I put screen protectors, it has to be perfect with no bubble, a tiny bubble staring at me would drive me crazy.. =)

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

RescueEMT911

I would recommend taking the phone out and cleaning out the case about weekly. I did this with my 4. I know the black 5 may be a different animal completely but it can't hurt might help

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Fortunately I haven't dropped mine in several months of ownership thus far other than a couple of times around the house on the carpet or something. I do however have a friend who just recently purchased an iPhone 5 and got a Lifeproof case with it, and it's quite amusing taking her phone and throwing it against a wall just so I can watch her temporary look of horror. I'm going to hell... :devil:

Had a customer buy a life proof and then went to a pool party. It's water resistant up to 6 feet or whatever so she threw it in the diving end which was like 10-12 feet to show off the case. Needless to say she was pissed.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Dropped my last one once, into the tub. Triggering an AppleCare+ replacement, using one of my two accident replacements.

Dropped this one once on my driveway, when it was being used without a case.

Basically nicked the aluminum on a corner -- very noticeable. But the screen is like new still, and that's what counts. The aluminum dents add character, I say. :p

Avenged110

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I seriously drop it all the time on scary surfaces. It's not intentional, it just happens but it's been fine so far, even without a case. There's only a few dents and a ton of scratches on the aluminum and one small scratch on the screen. I like my iPhones to look lived-in, if you will. The only issue, though, is among the gouges on the back, one scratch did go right across the "unscratchable" camera lens. Nbd though, pics are fine.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2