Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Default I phone 5 goes mute

This has happened twice in two days: all the sounds disappear except the actual ringer for phone calls. No clicks with typing or alert sounds. I turn the phone off and back on and everything is back to normal. Do I need to return this phone to the store? I've only had it about a month.

Default Re: I phone 5 goes mute

I've had the opposite if I reset my phone it goes mute after startup just chalked it up to a bug

Sent from my iPhone 5
    webOS for life

iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

kill them with kindness :-)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Call Apple and get your iPhone swapped out. That is not normal and may even get worse over time.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    techmoron (07-31-2013)
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Newbie

Yep-- it just happened again. I'll make them give me a new one.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,813 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by techmoron View Post
    This has happened twice in two days: all the sounds disappear except the actual ringer for phone calls. No clicks with typing or alert sounds. I turn the phone off and back on and everything is back to normal. Do I need to return this phone to the store? I've only had it about a month.
    Have your tried restoring ?

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Happened to me a few times where I lose just the keyboard clicks. Reboot fixed it. My boss the other day lost all audio through the speaker. Apple replaced the speaker under warranty. I would say try rebooting. If no dice, replace it.
    Veizon iPhone 5S 32GB Space Gray
    iPad Mini 16GB Black
    iPod 4 64GB Black
    My CrackBerry Marketplace feedback!!
    Thanked by:
    techmoron (08-01-2013)
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Newbie

No, I'm afraid to. I'm afraid I'll never get it back the same and it will take too long.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Just out of curiosity, do you have the phone connected to any bluetooth devices?
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Newbie

Yes. I have Bluetooth in my car. I did a reset last night, and so far so good (about 12 hours).
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Not to claim bluetooth was the issue, and if the car is off it should certainly disconnect, but i know in my truck (and my wife's car), when my phone is connected, there are times where she'll go out to the car in the garage, crank it up and my phone will actually connect to it for a short period while she's driving away, causing all sounds to mute. This usually only lasts a few seconds so I doubt that was the case in your situation, but that's why i asked.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Does it happen at random? A similar issue happens to me whenever I have headphones or external speakers attached to my iPhone 5. Once I detach them, all sounds other than the ringer and text notifications get extremely quiet (almost inaudible). Interestingly enough, *decreasing* the volume from the app switching menu temporarily fixes it. I end up having to restart every time.
    BlackBerry Storm > Motorola DROID > Samsung Fascinate > BlackBerry Bold 9650 > BlackBerry Bold 9930 > iPhone 4 > iPhone 4S > Motorola Droid Razr HD > iPhone 5
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kerrigan View Post
    Does it happen at random? A similar issue happens to me whenever I have headphones or external speakers attached to my iPhone 5. Once I detach them, all sounds other than the ringer and text notifications get extremely quiet (almost inaudible). Interestingly enough, *decreasing* the volume from the app switching menu temporarily fixes it. I end up having to restart every time.
    for me it was random, and only happened twice since ive owned my iphone 5. and its been months since it last happened.
    Veizon iPhone 5S 32GB Space Gray
    iPad Mini 16GB Black
    iPod 4 64GB Black
    My CrackBerry Marketplace feedback!!
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Newbie

It's random. I don't use ear buds or listen to music. It happened again tonight--so the reset fixed it for 5 days only.

Global Posts
    19,328 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It's random. I don't use ear buds or listen to music. It happened again tonight--so the reset fixed it for 5 days only.
    Did you make an a Genius Bar appointment with a nearby Apple Store? If not, please take Irish Rose's advice and have them swap it out. Also, when you say that a reset fixed it for 5 days, that tells me that the problem is probably not hardware related. Speaking of reset, did you merely "Reset All Settings" or did you restore your device via iTunes? If the former, may I suggest you connect your device to iTunes and restore as new to rule out any corrupted apps or settings?
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Newbie

Thanks. I just did a "reset all settings." I'm leery of doing a complete restore, but I can try it. I am wondering about the Bluetooth, though. I think all this started after I paired the phone with my Bluetooth device.

Global Posts
    19,328 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks. I just did a "reset all settings." I'm leery of doing a complete restore, but I can try it. I am wondering about the Bluetooth, though. I think all this started after I paired the phone with my Bluetooth device.
    You could be right. Have you turned off bluetooth or at least removed the bluetooth device via your iPhone? If not, give it a try and only use the ear pods for communicating purposes while traveling in your vehicle for about a week or so and see if the phone mutes itself or not.
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    You could be right. Have you turned off bluetooth or at least removed the bluetooth device via your iPhone? If not, give it a try and only use the ear pods for communicating purposes while traveling in your vehicle for about a week or so and see if the phone mutes itself or not.
    Ok. I will try turning off Bluetooth on my phone.

Global Posts
    19,328 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Ok. I will try turning off Bluetooth on my phone.
    ​Okay, and be sure to update us with your findings, if you don't mind...
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version

My phone did the same thing. Turned keyboard clicks and lock sounds off and back on in settings and haven't had the issue since...probs just a small bug
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    ​Okay, and be sure to update us with your findings, if you don't mind...
    I turned Bluetooth off on the phone, and it's been 2 days without going mute. I DO need to have Bluetooth on, however. It's not really optional.
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by BuhdeeBoy View Post
    My phone did the same thing. Turned keyboard clicks and lock sounds off and back on in settings and haven't had the issue since...probs just a small bug
    I can try this, too. But I may have tried this already. Can't remember.
    iMore Nanite

I don't think Bluetooth is involved. I turned Bluetooth off a few days ago, and that didn't change the sounds. Then I turned Keyboard clicking off, and it did so. Next I turned back on the Keyboard clicking (as I think it is better with these tiny Apple keys). Now I get no clicking sounds whatsoever!!

Tried rebooting. Tried resetting everything to standard. Still no clicking sounds!

So I'm still looking for how to "normalize" my iPhone5? (Without having to do a complete restore at best.)
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

At random I lose audible text/iMessage tones, I might have to call about that, only had the 5 for about 4 months now.
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  
    iMore Newbie

It has been several weeks since I've had the phone go mute on me. I turned Bluetooth off for a couple weeks, then turned it back on. It's been a week with Bluetooth on and no problems with my phone. So I guess the Bluetooth wasn't responsible.
  25. Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  
    iMore Newbie

It has been several weeks since I've had the phone go mute on me. I turned Bluetooth off for a couple weeks, then turned it back on. It's been a week with Bluetooth on and no problems with my phone. So I guess the Bluetooth wasn't responsible.
    I guess I spoke too soon. Ok, after a week and a half with my car Bluetooth on, my phone has gone mute again! I power down and turn it back on and sound is back. So maybe it IS the Bluetooth.