iPhone 5 home button and power button not working

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody experienced a problem where if you go to Settings > General > usage and delete an app the home button and power button stops working and forces you to do a hard reset?

Mine has done this 3 times now. I am running iOS 6.1.4.

I am confident it's a software issue as my home button and power button are working perfectly during any other operations.

Sent from my iPhone 5 32Gb white.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody experienced a problem where if you go to Settings > General > usage and delete an app the home button and power button stops working and forces you to do a hard reset?

Mine has done this 3 times now. I am running iOS 6.1.4.

I am confident it's a software issue as my home button and power button are working perfectly during any other operations.

Sent from my iPhone 5 32Gb white.

Just tested it using your steps, and it worked fine for me after deleting an app via Settings-General-Usage. I'm also on 6.1.4.

Does it consistently lock up using those steps (i.e. is it easily repeatable? What about if you delete an app via the 'traditional' method of long pressing an app then 'x'ing it?

If all fails, I'd recommend an iCloud/iTunes backup/wipe/restore. Nice thing about these devices is that it restores it to its last full state, so nothing is lost. I had to do the wipe/restore shortly after I got my iPad as iTunes Match was putting my songs in limbo, which was fixed after a restore.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've never experienced anything like that. Furthermore, as soon as I read your post, I went to the mentioned section and deleted an app I had been testing. Afterwards, my home and power button worked as it should. Having said that, if you indeed think it is a software issue, backup your device, put it in recovery mode and restore as new.

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
After further tests it looks like it only does it when I delete Facebook app from the usage app list not from the home screen. Tried it on my girlfriends iphone 5 and it didn't happen. How strange.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Strange indeed, as D mentioned. Try going into recovery mode and setup as new.

If it does it again. Then head in to Apple store and have them look at it for further investigation.

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I might just delete Facebook from the home screen in future and wait for iOS 7 to be released. The only reason I delete Facebook every month is because over time the app storage size seems to increase to 500mb and I like to keep things fresh.

If the issue still persists after iOS 7 I will do a complete restore. I have had to do that a couple of times when apple have replaced my phone due to camera problems.

Thanks to you all for your advice and quick response.

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I know it's insignificant size in the scheme of things but I only have 3Gb left on my 32Gb iPhone so evenly little counts. I have too many big games.

RemmyZero

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been having TONS of problems with my power button. Just deleted facebook (based on the info in this thread) and it seems to work great. This is very weird.

***edit***
nevermind, it stopped working again within 3 minutes. damn.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The same thing just happened to me right now...im so pissed! how did you get the buttons on your phone to start working again?

Well, both moloes and RemmyZero stated that their buttons started working again after deleting the Facebook app.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The same thing just happened to me right now...im so pissed! how did you get the buttons on your phone to start working again?

Don't confuse the odd situation with the OP with the pretty common power button failure...which renders it useless (or at least useless on one side of the power button)...if that is your case, bring it back to Apple and let them replace it while it's still under warranty (truthfully, I'd do this anyways even with the OP's situation, especially since the factory warranty will be over soon).

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I was going to mention as Sean for sure... Don't play around if there is the slightest hint of something wrong while you are under warranty. Go to your Apple Store app on your phone if you downloaded it and in a whopping 3-4 mins make an appt with the genius bar at your favorite Apple store and get it checked and hopefully walk out with a new one that works. Very simple procedure before it is too late.

Also remember how busy the stores are going to be next week so you might want to beat the rush. Good luck.:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox