Apple Maps work amazing...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, especially amongst those who'd rather go by other people's reviews instead of actually trying it out for themselves to form an opinion. So far I've used Apple Maps EXTENSIVELY in the following cities...

Atlanta
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
San Francisco
New York City
Boston
Orlando
Charlotte

...and countless smaller cities between all of those. Amongst all of those large cities, Apple Maps worked flawlessly, the only hiccup being a slight issue with directions up the Pacific Coast Hwy in California because of the numerous places where service is completely non-existant. Driving around over the last year has proven one thing to me, Apple Maps is significantly better than the garbage reviews that are poisoning the internet would have you believe.

As an iPhone fan, I love having a native app that works this well in this fashion, and I can't wait to see how the further improved version works in iOS 7. I know that my own experience doesn't reflect everyone's, but as good as it's worked for me, I can't imagine it being much different for others unless you live in an area with poor reception, or maybe a really rural area.

Bottom line, Apple Maps, for me, works brilliantly, and has really helped with navigating some unfamiliar cities/areas.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i use it every day Mon-Fri and it works great. is it perfect every single time? No, but then i use Google Maps - which is not perfect every time either

i prefer Apple Maps over any other i used

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I kind of live in the boonies, and I have yet to have any problem with Apple maps. Just like I never had an issue with my iPhone 4 reception during "Antennagate." I think both were overblown--people love to find something to blow up into an issue.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I've used Apple maps maybe 100 times. It failed me once. I say that is pretty good. I tried google maps. I didn't like it and deleted it.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Apple maps has been pretty spot on for me. I will use google maps only of I am trying to avoid traffic. Their traffic seems to be pretty spot on.

Sent from my Gameboy Color

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Apple maps works great for me I think it's been wrong once .. Only issue I have with it is if I'm searching for a place and it won't show on apple but does on google .. But one I have the address apple works great .. They just need to get all the detail on it

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I tried Apple Maps in the past but it never seemed as accurate as the Navigon App that I rely on for all my traveling needs.

baayers

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I think for me I am 50/50 between Apple Maps & Google Maps. In my area Apples version when it was first released had a lot of incorrect info when you would look for places by location. For example it showed a KFC about a mile from my house that had closed and was turned into a burger place over 5 years ago. With that said over the last year they have gotten a lot better. I am very much looking forward to seeing their iOS 7 update. Especially the night mode

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I REALLY want to like Apple Maps as my default go-to map app. I really do. However, I've run into too many personal inaccuracies to be able to trust it by default without having to verify with Google Maps. And if I'm always having to verify unknown destinations with Google Maps just to make sure I'm going to the right place, then why not just use Google Maps as default?

I'm not going to rehash the specific examples (unless asked, then I will) as I've linked them before plus a few more since then. If you can't establish trust that the mapping data is accurate (and it does just come down to bad data), it can't be a daily driver for me.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I use it as my main navigation map service and recently on a trip out to the Rocky Mountains in Colorado and have had no issues that I can think of. I hardly use Google maps or Waze even though both are installed.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
In my experience Apple Maps does work very well within the US. However it cannot find lesser known places outside the US that Google Maps can.

I use Apple Maps on my iPad and Google Maps on my iPhone.

Sent From My iPhone 5 Using Tapatalk

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
How can one application have such widely disparate reviews on the quality of the data?

Where I am, I find that Apple Maps is inaccurate way more often than accurate. Business are listed with the wrong addresses and addresses are misplaced by several blocks, sometimes onto different streets. Some listed businesses never even existed at all. I've found this to be true not only where I live in the NH Seacoast area, but also in and around Boston MA.

I have submitted update after correction after fix until I just simply gave up from the massive amounts of errors I was encountering, and I just use Google Maps now.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
How can one application have such widely disparate reviews on the quality of the data?

Where I am, I find that Apple Maps is inaccurate way more often than accurate. Business are listed with the wrong addresses and addresses are misplaced by several blocks, sometimes onto different streets. Some listed businesses never even existed at all. I've found this to be true not only where I live in the NH Seacoast area, but also in and around Boston MA.

I have submitted update after correction after fix until I just simply gave up from the massive amounts of errors I was encountering, and I just use Google Maps now.

You answered your own question with your second paragraph ("Where I am..."). For an app like Maps, where so much localized data is involved, value can be very subjective. In my area, where I live, work and play, it’s very accurate. From reading the comments from others, it’s not so everywhere... and that explains the disparity in the reviews.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner