iPhone as your regular camera?

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I find that in some ways, my iPhone camera is better than my regular camera (Sony Cyber-Shot). It's always with me, can take pictures faster and they can be on the net in seconds. Plus they are automatically uploaded to the cloud. I started taking pics with my regular camera last night then jumped over to the phone because it was easier. I think I might just make a transition over to just using that. Anyone else just use their phone's camera most of the time?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The camera on my iPhone is indeed a very good camera to use and I do use it, however, I will always revert to my Nikon D90 for photos taken at graduations, weddings and other events that I deem very important to me. I'm not saying that my iPhone's camera can't perform well at those events. I'm saying that I prefer to use what I feel comfortable using at those events. Know what I mean?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It?s been said that the best camera to use is the one you have with you... so in that respect, the cell phone camera is it... in the case of the iPhone, the camera is pretty solid, so yeah. It may not keep up with a $2000 DSLR, but it?s sure a lot more handy to haul around all day long, every day.

I no longer own a "pocket point and shoot" camera... I use my iPhone 5... and my Nikon D7000 (when I need it) - and there are time when I need/prefer the Nikon... but for quick snaps, the iPhone is the way to go...

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't use my camera very often anymore, it's just way to easy with the iPhone. The phone is always with me and and quality of cameras on phones just keep getting better and better. And being able to transfer pics in an instant makes things awhole lot easier.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't own a regular camera so my iPhone camera is all I have. I think my grandson snaps picks more than I do!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone is my primary camera, however my wife is a bit of a photographer and she uses a nice Nikon. Her pictures are much better than mine, so she uses her camera for the more important pictures.

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I still use my point and shoot camera on vacations. Nothing can be the quality of those if your printing. Plus the zoom. But for everyday things, I use iPhone

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I echo the sentiments of others already having posted. I enjoy the camera on my 5 and it's my go-to because it's always with me.
That said I still use my point and shoot at concerts or pre-planned events where the lighting will be sketchy.
The promise of an improved camera will be one of the focal points for my upgrading to the (5S?). My hope is for improved low-light picture taking and better optics/sensors. Megapixels are fine at 8.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Haven't used my Canon since getting my iPhone 4S.
My wife is very happy about this since I don't have to ask her to store the Canon is her purse when we're going to some special event.
Good Luck

ananthapriya

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
yeah iphone camera is as my regualr one. i have take lot of photos using my iphone its looks good and give good clarity to my photos. all my friends are asking which camera use to take that photo?but im saying to them that is my iphone. they are shocked how is it possible and not believe me tel like its not take using phone ?u have camera..then i showed my iphone after that they believe me.really i proud to say getting good i phone.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Haven't used a DSLR in years, except on work shoots for a sports photographer. At another job, I actually use my iPhone 5 to shoot and edit closeup jewelry photos that are regularly used in print ads. (So, so, much can be done with good lighting--something many people who use their iPhones constantly overlook.)

For personal use, I no longer take a point-and-shoot anywhere, and haven't since I bought my iPhone 4. The only thing I ever miss--and this only very rarely--is a serviceable zoom.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used a regular Camera in years. My iPhone 5 is my only Camera which works out well for the kids sporting events as well as family vacations.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Do all of you use the stock camera app or something like camera+ for the good photos?
I am wondering because I have played around with a couple camera apps and have not really noticed a difference. Of course, I may have not been using their features as I should have.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Camera+ for me, or KitCam. Biggest plus over the native camera app is the ability to set focus and exposure separately

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
As good as the iPhone 5 camera is, it has some physical issues that prevent me from switching over to full-time it from a point-and-shoot "real" camera:

It doesn't have an optical zoom. This limits what I can do with it, even in casual situations. IMO, there are only two setups where the iPhone camera is ideal: Close up/Macro and "scenic overview". Anything in between, I'm looking for that zoom lens, and it's just not there. Digital zoom, quite frankly, sucks. Because it's not merely cropping, it's also resizing back up to the camera's full resolution and does a poor quality resize.

The sensor is too small for the number of pixels it has. With what the cameras on cellphones are used for by the target user, 8MP is way more than needed. You don't need that much for Instagram, Facebook or social use of Flikr. And normally, those apps or the service will downsize the image anyway. The only reason to put an 8MP camera on the phone like that is to score points in a spec argument. Apple would have been better off staying with a 5MP camera, using the same physical size sensor, with the modern updated fabrication methods/tools to get BETTER pixels rather than more pixels.

The only reason I used my iPhone as a camera yesterday at my nephew's birthday party is because my SLR is broken and I couldn't find my point-and-shoot.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I Only use my iPhone 5 as my camera. The only time I use any other camera is at a special event like a wedding. Otherwise, it's always the iPhone.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro