3G Not working? (Verizon)

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I'm not sure if I've had this problem since I got the 5 (release date) or if it's something that has been going on these past couple of weeks/months, but 3G just seems to not work....

LTE works blazing fast, WiFi is perfect, and even Edge (or whatever Verizon's version of EDGE is - that circle) is SLOW, but still works. Yet it seems to me that 3G just doesn't work, even if I have 3-5 bars. iMessages don't send, web-pages don't load etc etc.

Anyone else have this problem? Could it be the case I'm using (I change cases fairly often)?

Thoughts??

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It could be something as simple as when and where you are when this happens and not related to anything else. I doubt it would be the case. Have you called Verizon for them to run tests on through tech support? Have you used *228 option 2 to make sure you have the latest tower info? I would start with Verizon.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It could be something as simple as when and where you are when this happens and not related to anything else. I doubt it would be the case. Have you called Verizon for them to run tests on through tech support? Have you used *228 option 2 to make sure you have the latest tower info? I would start with Verizon.

See the thread via the following link regarding the use of *228 with 4G/LTE devices.
http://forums.imore.com/carrier-discussion-lounge/240846-verizon-228-a.html

To the OP, you can try rebooting your device or resetting the network settings. Check your wireless provider's coverage map for 3G, if available, or call your service provider to see if they can troubleshoot from their end. Lastly, you can try putting your device in DFU mode and reinstalling the latest iOS version and set up your device as new or take it to a nearby Apple store to let a genius troubleshoot it for you.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
See the thread via the following link regarding the use of *228 with 4G/LTE devices.
http://forums.imore.com/carrier-discussion-lounge/240846-verizon-228-a.html

To the OP, you can try rebooting your device or resetting the network settings. Check your wireless provider's coverage map for 3G, if available, or call your service provider to see if they can troubleshoot from their end. Lastly, you can try putting your device in DFU mode and reinstalling the latest iOS version and set up your device as new or take it to a nearby Apple store to let a genius troubleshoot it for you.
Thank you for the clarification 'D as I now remember Keiths post going back about not using *228 for LTE devices. I appreciate that and also the advice you provided to the OP for further assistance. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the clarification 'D as I now remember Keiths post going back about not using *228 for LTE devices. I appreciate that and also the advice you provided to the OP for further assistance. :)

No problem, sir. We're all here to help....:)...Keep up the good work.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the replies! I will reset my network settings, and if it persists, I will contact Verizon.

Thanks again for the help!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Settings>> General>> Reset>> Reset Network Settings

Do that... you'll have to re set-up any saved wifi connections again. If the issue persists - you may need to deal with Verizon's support folks...
Keith also thank you for your input. I remember you posting this very same query some time back and I forgot is is not needed with LTE devices. Thank you for the reminder to not only me but also to the OP.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the replies! I will reset my network settings, and if it persists, I will contact Verizon.

Thanks again for the help!
Sounds like you now have a plan and if you don't mind we like to keep track of advice given so if you can post back to let us know the resolution we would appreciate it.:)

Chris Kerrigan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
It could be totally unrelated, but for what it's worth, I had a similar issue last week in which any time I would drop out of an LTE coverage area, the phone would display "3G" until I did anything that required a persistent data connection, such as Songza or browsing the web, in which case I would instantly drop down to 1X/2G (the little circle). This would happen in areas where 3G coverage is normally very strong.

Resetting my network settings seemed to do the trick for me. Good luck!

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you now have a plan and if you don't mind we like to keep track of advice given so if you can post back to let us know the resolution we would appreciate it.:)

Sure. I reset the settings. Maybe I was just being impatient. 3G is still slow, but it does work (and it DOES seem to be working faster than before the reset). Not sure what the problem was ... maybe the device really just needed a reset!

Thanks again for the advice everyone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711