Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Default Network/Cellular Radio Issues on Verizon iPhone 5

Attached is a screen shot of what my phone has been doing lately. It will then change to no service until is reconnects on its own (sometimes takes 30 minutes) or until I toggle airplane mode or reset the device by holding down the home and power buttons. I've also reset the network settings, reset the entire device, and have even had Verizon install a new SIM card, to no avail.

Obviously, when it's like this, I can't call out and calls don't come in. In fact, I received a voicemail on Monday that was left the previous Friday only after I reset the phone randomly. Before I go back to the Verizon store for the third time in a week and demand a new device, is there anything else anyone can advise on? Thanks for your time.

Network/Cellular Radio Issues on Verizon iPhone 5-screen-shot.png

Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Network/Cellular Radio Issues on Verizon iPhone 5

If you live close enough to one, I suggest trying to go to Apple Store and see what they say.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My cell service with VZW has been spotty the last couple of days as well. I just chalked it up to the area or something.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

I work for a competitive carrier but use an iphone5 on VZW (don't hold it against me) and have these exact same issues. I also do device testing for that carrier and know the ins and outs of most devices and their processes, ways they work etc..... I can almost say for certain that this is a radio problem on this device. I cannot say with 100% certainty without getting my local genius bar to confirm it but I am taking it in this week to get it looked at. My 4S had a better reception/signal dB than this device does currently. I live in a highly LTE covered area and have never had issues until my upgrade. Granted the 4S is only 3G and used a completely different radio/antennae, but other i-buddies use IP5 and their service has never been an issue. Seems there may be batches with radios that are failing somehow. Not sure. I will keep my post updated when I know more. Please do the same for you all as well.
    iMore Nanite

Over past few months my Verizon iPhone 5 has had these same issues. Cycling Airplane Mode would solve problem temporarily. Took it into Apple store. In literally 2 minutes they diagnosed device failure. They said it is almost always a carrier problem, but not in this case; first time this guy had seen this result.
    Luckily, I had AppleCare with 2 months to go. Walked out with a new iPhone 5 less than thirty minutes later.

Sorry it happened. Very happy with the solution.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Did you try calling vzw to see if there is already a reported issue? I had an issue last month where I couldn't send or receive calls from my house, called and put in a ticket and it was fixed a few days later.