Usage and Storage Question

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a 64GB iPhone 5. Right off the bat, only 57GB is usable. That is fine. Then, 3GB is used by 'other'. Sucks, but that's fine too.

Then there is Documents and Data. It is taking up 9GB. My apps are also taking up 9GB. Why does it appear to be double counting? If I look at Spotify, it is showing 3.2GB under usage. Click on it, and 3.1GB documents and data.

Why is this? Why does it seem that my apps and ' documents and data' are counting twice?

Also, for others using a 64GB model, are system resources using 7GB on yours too?

Last edited:

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a 64GB iPhone 5. Right off the bat, only 57GB is usable. That is fine. Then, 3GB is used by 'other'. Sucks, but that's fine too.

Then there is Documents and Data. It is taking up 9GB. My apps are also taking up 9GB. Why does it appear to be double counting? If I look at Spotify, it is showing 3.2GB under usage. Click on it, and 3.1GB documents and data.

Why is this? Why does it seem that my apps and ' documents and data' are counting twice?

Also, for others using a 64GB model, are system resources using 7GB on yours too?

Hard drives have always had overhead. 7GB sounds about right.

The "system resources" are a big part of the "other" you're worried about.

It seems that way because your numbers are similar and you've convinced yourself there's a problem.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Hard drives have always had overhead. 7GB sounds about right.

The "system resources" are a big part of the "other" you're worried about.

It seems that way because your numbers are similar and you've convinced yourself there's a problem.

I kind of figured the overhead would be higher and thus I am ok with the 7GB coming off the top and the 3GB that is listed as 'other'. But the documents and data from apps taking up 9GB 'in addition' to the 9GB being taken up by the apps themselves to me seems odd. Basically if I delete 9GB of apps, I free up 18GB space. That's the part I am perplexed by.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what you're running well enough to point you towards the documents and data portion.

I have a good bit of that space filled on the iPad, but it doesn't even show up for my phone. That's mostly because I don't use the phone for any of that kind of stuff. With the iPad being primarily for school, I have all sorts of other nonsense besides the apps themselves.

If you look at the 32gb, you're losing 3.9gb off the top. We're at about the same on other. I'd assume that's how much space is required for iOS after decompression. It's been a while since I've downloaded the installer, but it isn't exactly small.

The 9gb and 9gb are a coincidence.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AbbiePilgrim