Random Siri issue

Chris Kerrigan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
This is going to be a little hard to explain, so please bear with me.

I've recently noticed a seemingly random (and thankfully, relatively infrequent) problem when trying to use Siri from the homescreen. After I hold down the home button to launch Siri, every once in a while it will simply make the same sound it makes if you cancel a Siri inquiry without saying anything. Manually tapping on the microphone results in the same sound, and Siri will not begin to listen like she normally does, resulting in a basically nonfunctional Siri. Backing out of Siri, locking the phone, unlocking the phone and re-launching Siri usually fixes it, but on occasion a full restart is required.

It's not a terrible issue for me as it only pops up once in a while and thankfully is relatively easy to fix, but I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Could be a dozen different things, but most times when Siri is acting up, you can account that to a network issue either on your carrier end (since Siri must be online to function), or with the network Siri is run on itself (and that does happen occasionally, especially when an update is happening on their end...this kind of outage is usually widespread and reported across the spectrum of Apple product websites, including iMore).

And sometimes Siri just gets moody and doesn't want to respond properly...I've never personally had to reset my device to make it run again, but i can see how someone might become flustered and go through this step to try and fix the issue.

Chris Kerrigan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Could be a dozen different things, but most times when Siri is acting up, you can account that to a network issue either on your carrier end (since Siri must be online to function), or with the network Siri is run on itself (and that does happen occasionally, especially when an update is happening on their end...this kind of outage is usually widespread and reported across the spectrum of Apple product websites, including iMore).

And sometimes Siri just gets moody and doesn't want to respond properly...I've never personally had to reset my device to make it run again, but i can see how someone might become flustered and go through this step to try and fix the issue.

I've generally chalked it up as Siri being moody and just refusing to do her job, although as you said, network/server issues are always a possibility. Just seems odd to me because of the way it behaves when this happens. It doesn't act like it's even trying to make an inquiry, and like I said it won't even so much as let me talk as tapping the mic results in no response whatsoever.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Network issues are very odd and kind of inconsistent...so it's not surprising that Siri would have the same weird and inconsistent behavior when the software is so reliant on network health. Hell, I've been sitting in the same spot without moving before, LTE will turn off on my phone and revert to 4G, I'll go into my settings, turn off LTE and turn it back on and LTE will start working again with 3-4 bars...the phone will have moved about 2", lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2