Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default iPhone 5 Charging Problem - Solved

I have spent some time dealing with a charging issue on my iPhone 5. I researched it and never found a solution that worked for me. I did, however, easily resolve the problem, so I thought I would share.

Problem: When connecting the iPhone 5 to charge or sync via a lightning cable, I would have to push really hard and, only sometimes, would it stay connected. This caused me to deal with the occasional flat battery in the morning as well as issues connecting to my computer.

Solution: Take a paperclip and clean the built-up lint from inside where the cable connects on the iPhone. The lint appears to limit how far the lighting connector is inserted. Once clear, I had no more problems charging / connecting my phone.

Hopefully this helps someone
    Last edited by jatb; 06-29-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typo
    Thanked by:
    biff_malibu20 (09-25-2013), LCW (04-12-2014), sad_old_man (10-13-2013), SaMaster14 (08-30-2014), VanPaddy (08-12-2014)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Default Re: iPhone 5 Charging Problem - Solved

You might want to try something a little less damaging than a paperclip - like a wooden cuticle stick, or even a toothpick.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    You might want to try something a little less damaging than a paperclip - like a wooden cuticle stick, or even a toothpick.
    Or compressed air...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    bamf-hacker likes this.

Global Posts
    3,709 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS7.1b5

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Or compressed air...
    Yeah that... I do that on a regular basis with my devices.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Nanite

I used an insulated paper clip . Compressed air was not effective as the lint, after being jammed in by the lightning connector, was a touch dense.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Dude! You might want to try washing your pants instead. I haven't had to clean out my connectors in the year+ that I've had my iPhone 5. I'd have to go to my dryer to find that much lint.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Dude! You might want to try washing your pants instead. I haven't had to clean out my connectors in the year+ that I've had my iPhone 5. I'd have to go to my dryer to find that much lint.
    I think it depends, though. I have had to use compressed air once to clean some dust and other crap that had built up inside the lightning port (although I wasn't having problems with it charging, it was just bothering me). I know the pants that I have to wear for work create some fiber build-up on anything that is in the pockets, regardless of how I clean them or how often I clean them.

Been considering getting a belt clip for my iP5 for that exact reason, actually.
    BlackBerry Storm > Motorola DROID > Samsung Fascinate > BlackBerry Bold 9650 > BlackBerry Bold 9930 > iPhone 4 > iPhone 4S > Motorola Droid Razr HD > iPhone 5
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

I thought that was a joke or put down until I read the thread. Lol
    hydrogen3 likes this.
    iMore Nanite

Hi ! I too encountered charger getting plugged into any socket either in India and also when i went to UK. The pins of charger plug are so thin that it doesnt get into any socket. I replaced the plug /data cable of i5 with plugin of Samsung phone ( my previous phone) and got releived.

Global Posts
    21,244 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Anamika Saxena View Post
    Hi ! I too encountered charger getting plugged into any socket either in India and also when i went to UK. The pins of charger plug are so thin that it doesnt get into any socket. I replaced the plug /data cable of i5 with plugin of Samsung phone ( my previous phone) and got releived.
    I'm sorry. I'm not quite understanding you. Are you saying that the actual 'plug-in' part by Samsung worked in lieu of the plug-in part that came with your iPhone 5? If so, great. Whatever works, right?...
    iMore Nanite

Thank you - it was driving me nuts. Now it is perfect..
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by jatb View Post
    I have spent some time dealing with a charging issue on my iPhone 5. I researched it and never found a solution that worked for me. I did, however, easily resolve the problem, so I thought I would share.

Problem: When connecting the iPhone 5 to charge or sync via a lightning cable, I would have to push really hard and, only sometimes, would it stay connected. This caused me to deal with the occasional flat battery in the morning as well as issues connecting to my computer.

Solution: Take a paperclip and clean the built-up lint from inside where the cable connects on the iPhone. The lint appears to limit how far the lighting connector is inserted. Once clear, I had no more problems charging / connecting my phone.

How does Lint get there in the 1st place???
    "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them".
    iMore Nanite

I never dropped my iPhone and suddenly one day my iphone stop charging unless and until i hold the charging part of the charger(i.e. the white part manually with my hand). If i disturb the position my phone stops charging. Its like i need to keep the charging pin in one particular position else it does not charge. I cleaned it with a toothpick , there was quite alot of dust inside. But still it is not charging properly, looks like some loose connection inside but when tried to look at it perfectly everything was looking fine. And how come suddenly such a problem. Please help me with this issue
    iMore Nanite

Unconscious converter charging cables adversity makes you I think. Because this type of electronic devices as the power supply system unknown properties can be found in the.

Global Posts
    21,244 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Gure Baswant View Post
    I never dropped my iPhone and suddenly one day my iphone stop charging unless and until i hold the charging part of the charger(i.e. the white part manually with my hand). If i disturb the position my phone stops charging. Its like i need to keep the charging pin in one particular position else it does not charge. I cleaned it with a toothpick , there was quite alot of dust inside. But still it is not charging properly, looks like some loose connection inside but when tried to look at it perfectly everything was looking fine. And how come suddenly such a problem. Please help me with this issue
    It is possible that you have either a bad cable or defective charging port. If I were you, I'd do two things: 1) Try a different cable 2) If the same occurs with the different cable, make a Genius Bar appointment with a nearby Apple Store.

Global Posts
    21,244 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by bardakul View Post
    Unconscious converter charging cables adversity makes you I think. Because this type of electronic devices as the power supply system unknown properties can be found in the.
    Huh? I'm not quite understanding your reply. Could you please clarify?
    iMore Nanite

Thank you so much!!!
    biff_malibu20 likes this.

Men washing our pants. Sounds like a lot of work

Well with that said I believe you and I use a water proof case that has a charging door that keeps the lint out of the charging port so we avoid the build up. My only issue is I do get build up on my speaker membranes which I need to blow out sometimes for call quality

Sent from my iPhone 5
    webOS for life

iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

kill them with kindness :-)
    iMore Nanite

Hello good sir!

My phone had never had a problem charging. Tonight, just before it was gonna die I put it not he charger. Nothing happened. I drove to work to get a different charger (at 2 am) thinking that was the problem. Nope. I read 15 threads of idiots with dumb problems that had nothing to do with mine and were no help. I came across yours which made sense. I got a toothpick and BOOM out comes a FAT piece of lint (I had just washed my work pants I wore today and a receipt got destroyed in the pocket. Problem solved. I was SOOOO PISSED before I came across your thread. I dropped my phone about a month ago and chipped a small piece in the back and I knew apple was gonna use that as an excuse not to replace the phone.

Anyway, the moral of my note to you is THANK YOU for taking the time to post this. I can now sleep peacefully knowing my phonies fine AND i don't have to drive 15 miles to an apple store for that. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Sincerely

Justin
    iMore Nanite

Thank you so much! This literally happened to me the exact same way. I was about to take it into the store to have it checked until I read your message. This completely fixed my phone in 2 minutes!

Thanks
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    12,278 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jatb View Post

Three cables and two chargers later!!!!!!! I found your post. 5mins and one paperclip later I cured the problem just as you said. Thanks.
    iMore Nanite

So, after reading ALL of the responses I came up with my own solution that works. Try a bread twisty-tie tip to clean out the tiny slot! It works and doesn't hurt the device. Cleans out the lint. Problem Solved.
    Thanked by:
    Travis Feisthamel (06-22-2014)
    iMore Nanite

UNBELIEVABLE

After 5 hours frustration.
    This fix DOES work
    On my tenth attempt with a bread tie something cleared and it is now charging.

This is a fix that works.

Such a stupid design flaw on this product
    iMore Nanite

Wow - It does work! Very useful.. Thanks.
    iMore Nanite

Default Using a Toothpick and Toilet Tissue: Solved!

I suspected the lint problem after reviewing some of the initial posts here and used the toothpick/probe idea in combination with a few other techniques to solve the problem.

I hate canned air because it ends up blowing the detritus all over the place - even though with an iphone charging port that amount would no doubt be miniscule. I prefer vacuuming - that way it contains the dust. Using a toothpick I noted I did get quite a bit of black lint out of the port - but the lack of contact obviously still existed. Then I struck upon on idea. I used a small piece of toilet tissue jammed into the port to "grab" more of the lint. Toilet tissue has to have some abrasive qualities in order to... *ahem*... do it's designed job, right? I reasoned this might help clean out some of the lint in the nooks and crannies of the port. I originally wanted to try even moistening the TP a bit in order to do the job even more thoroughly? But I'm guessing getting the port wet to any extent wouldn't be a good idea. However, I do remember a nerd buddy of mine telling me that electronics are surprising resilient to moisture. He used the example of his parent's house being flooded and they set the TV out in the yard and sun to dry. When the cranked it up later? No issues. (I had a similar experience when I thought I'd ruined my desktop when I spilled grape juice on it and some leaked inside the case - while it was running no less! Was just waiting for it to start smoking but it didn't.) So a drop of water on the TP? Might not hurt and could help - but it brings up another issue - the TP falling apart in small pieces - but that could be solved by the vacuum - and dry the port in the process as well. (I'm on a poor teacher's salary so I'll let someone else here try frying their phone with wet TP to see if it works....)

Instead? I simply jammed the toilet paper piece dry tight into the port with a toothpick - making sure I left enough excess hanging outside the port so I could gently pull it out. First, attempt? I saw extra lint I hadn't got with the just the toothpick before. Rinse. Repeat. More lint and dirt. I then used my vacuum to suck out any lint or TP "hairs" that might have come loose during the process or that didn't adhere to the toilet paper. When I plugged the charger back in? Much improvement. I'm going to give the phone a good charge and try again to see if I get even more.
    Last edited by OkieTech; 11-30-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast